German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... that is because it is a PUPPY!

People, please, please, please, don't tape your puppys ears and don't be all "OH MY GOD MY PUPPIES EARS ARE NOT UP YET, HE's 9 weeks old... what should I do!"

It takes time for ears to come up and chances are if they are up with three months that they will be all over the place once they go through teething.

IF your puppies ears won't get up AFTER THE TEETHING than you can start thinking about taping. But please, please, please wait until they went through teething!

You don't have to be worried just because your 8/9/10 week old puppy has floppy ears. IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ha, that's what I figured, but it's a little scary sometimes when you see a bunch of pups younger than yours with their ears already up. Hey, they say that chewing on stuff helps the muscles that hold up their ears. If rawhide is no good, and beef bones are "teeth wreckers", what should they chew?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Can we get a sticky at the top of this section of the forum?

This is a pretty common question and mrs k seems to have summed it up with her post.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Can we get a sticky at the top of this section of the forum?

This is a pretty common question and mrs k seems to have summed it up with her post.
Yes, but I'd extend the time-frame to 14-15 weeks! :) Only problem is, people ask first and read stickies later anyway. Ughhhh...

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Ha, that's what I figured, but it's a little scary sometimes when you see a bunch of pups younger than yours with their ears already up. Hey, they say that chewing on stuff helps the muscles that hold up their ears. If rawhide is no good, and beef bones are "teeth wreckers", what should they chew?
Jax's ears were up at 8 weeks... then down... then back up at 10... after that just the driver's side, then after THAT, they both flopped on top of his head. When his teeth finally all fell out, they were both perfectly horizontal. A few weeks after that (almost 6 months) they're standing and becoming more firm every day.
Those puppies you see with their ears up are the ones that just happen to have their ears up that day and their owners are parading them all over and taking pics of them to drive everyone else mental! I'm certain of it! ;)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Jax's mom....Ava's have been up since I got her at 7 weeks. They haven't gone down at all...not even for a second.

I'm disappointed actually. I love the pics of the floppy ears, the ear teepee's, the wonky puppy ears. I got shortchanged:shrug:

Mrs K....I agree with your statement. People need to just wait it out, they will stand up eventually!! Heck, I'm waiting patiently (not) for Ava's to fall!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I get the panic. I'm not saying I wouldn't love my dog just as much if his ears didn't stand up, but I love the intense, intelligent look of a classic GSD. Floppy ears give the dog a completely different look. If I got another rescue or a pup from a dubious breeder, then I'd accept that my GSD might not look like the breed standard. Actually, my rescue and BYB GSDs are gorgeous. However, when I researched like heck, and spent a small fortune on a puppy, with certain expectations in mind, then I would feel some measure of disappointment if his ears didn't stand up and he didn't look like a GSD. Again, doesn't mean I'd care for him any less, it just means I'd be disappointed. I'd get over it, I have no doubt. (I'm hoping the ear forms work.)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Reminds me of my Daughter's belly button and my wife's fretting about it. When she was weeks/months old it was protruding a bit like a little button. My wife ( who is Khmer ) was freaking out big time and I was saying a) Who cares, she is healthy and b) Give it time ! c) There will be bigger things to worry about....

Now..at 2 years...guess who has the cutest little belly button town ?

Of course, if she had floppy dumbo ears then I would be taking her to a plastic surgeon in Bangkok to have them stapled to the side of her head...................NOT.

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's called otoplasty and it's perfectly ok to have done if a person had such ears. I only know this because I had a friend who was a nurse in a plastic surgeon's office, not because I have or had floppy ears. My dog, however, is another story. Well, not so much at the moment because of those handy little forms.

·
Registered
619 Posts
My pup will be 10 weeks old on Monday and his ears show no sign of even thinking about going up...and yes its driving me crazy...my last GSD had his ears up by 8 weeks...patience..patience..patience

·
Registered
320 Posts
I posted in the picture forum, but Godric is 13 weeks, and his ears went up yesterday. They're still a bit floppy, but it seems like the more he runs, the better they stand? Ha, so weird, but it's true. When he wakes up or lays and plays around the house, they start to go limp. The right one really falls. When we run around the backyard for a while, they both stand up great for hours after! Is running around exercising those head/ear muscles? Maybe he's trying harder to hold them up? I don't know, but running really seems to make a difference for whatever reason.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I had no idea that sometime their ears stay down when they are a puppy. I guess I always thought they were always up. What age would they be up by like 13 weeks if they were to go up and stay up?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shasta's ears have been up since she was 14 weeks. We literally watched in one day as her right ear decided to stand up. She has the tip of one ear that will never stand do to damage from a litter mate biting too hard but its very cute and unique. I'm waiting for the goofy floppy earred thing to start with the whole teething thing. She's currently 18 weeks old. I'll be happy when she doesnt feel the need to chew on and shred everything. my other dogs, i got after they were done teething and their ears were up permanently.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
My Shasta's right ear was up at 13 weeks and her left ear took another week or 10 days. But some dogs ears take much longer, even until 5 or 6 months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ear infection vs. ears standing

Hello everyone new to the forums :help: please ! I have a new pup that I purchased from a breeder here locally . He comes form decent bloodlines and is of German show/working lines on his sires side and german american show lines on his dams. We have aways owned GSD'S . This particular pup was purchased for my 11 year old son to begin showing next year in Junior handling ( conformation/obedience ) . ....To get the point....This baby has had an ear infection going on since he was 6 weeks old ( the breeder ( co -owner of the litter) insisted his ears were dirty. And used their kennel concoction as a cleaner, however I know an ear infection! They would not allow me to remove the pup until he was 8 weeks old. First stop vets! Sure enough ...INFECTION !! With this going on for 2 weeks is there any chance of it interfering with his ears standing? He is now on antibiotics and drops, the heat in the ear is gone ,and the mucus. He is no longer tilting his head or scratching...poor baby! My son would be devastated if this pup can't be shown.:confused:

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Hondo's ears didn't stand all the time till he was nine months old. And even then one would relax every now and then. Now that he is a year old, they stand when they should. But he shows his emotions through his ears. When he wants loving he'll come up and put his head on my lap and his ears will be laid back. When I talk to him, they'll pick up. Sometimes his ears look as though they are pointing east and west instead of north.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Eight weeks old with both ears up.

With one ear up at 9 weeks old.

Back down with both ears around 11 weeks old.

Can't find any pictures when both ears stood up around 12-13 weeks old and they stayed up after that.

She was 5 months old here and her ears still are both up.

6 months old here.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts