German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my pup was acting weird yesterday. Just laying around and not active. We had some busy days prior but he usually bounces back quickly, so it concerned me. He had bloody gums and so between the two oddities, I took him to the vet. She couldn't find anything physically wrong but ran a fecal and blood test. She said platelets looked good and clotting time was normal. She said that his gums were a bit inflamed and it could be from a chew toy or just teething. I'm asking you guys because his gums are still bleeding today (but he's eating normally, and in no obvious pain). I'm concerned still but don't know if its unfounded. Anyone have this problem before? Any ideas as to the cause?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It said they would diagnose with CBC which is what the vet ran yesterday. Do they need to look for something specific if they run that test?

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
This was the first thing that popped into my head so I posted it. Hopefully your pup is just having a bit of heavy teething time.

From the site I linked:
To diagnose von Willebrand's Disease a veterinarian will often conduct a CBC (complete blood count), urinalysis, blood clotting time or a "buccal mucosal" screening time. The buccal mucosal bleeding time uses a test strip that is tied around the maxilla (upper jaw) that then causes engorgement in the folded-back area. Normal blood clotting time is somewhere between 1.5 to 2.6 minutes

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks. Guess if it doesn't stop soon I'll go in and bring it up. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, but most of his teeth have been in for some time now. Just waiting for the smallest premolar. The bleeding seems to be concentrated on both sides near the largest molar and the tooth just preceding it. I'm hoping it's nothing as I'd rather worry and over react and have it be nothing.

I know they tested clotting time yesterday too, but I'm not sure if they ran that type of clotting test or some other kind...the vet I prefer isn't back in until Monday so if its no critical, I'm hoping to wait until then to call back. But I don't know enough to determine if its critical at this point though. Hopefully just teething...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts