German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My girl knows sit, down, heel, come...although it's not always reliable. She knows what everyone of these commands means and it has been conditioned into her over and over again.

Can anyone tell me what I should be expecting from a puppy this age - she is very happy and everything is normal with her.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I found that I got a little too comfortable with Stosh at that age and slacked off on the training. I figured if he came most of the time I called him that was good enough..boy was I wrong!! Many instincts and traits are developing at this stage and he tried them all out. I suggest that you go to a basic obedience class even if you've taken one already, just to reinforce what she already knows. Pups learn differently as they mature so you might be surprised at how well she does- or doesn't do. Don't forget that she might look like an adult but she won't be for another year or two.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
reinforce what she knows and make it reliable. teach one thing
at a time and then move on but going back to reinforce what she knows.
7 months is young and you have plenty of time to train. train
and socialize everyday. i like training in short sessions. each session
lasting 5 to 10 minutes but i conduct many sessions during the course
of a day. at 7 months old my dog didn't know to much but 2 yrs later
he knew a lot.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
If you were in a class this is how it would go...they learn sit and down maybe one week...the next week they learn stay and wait, but go over the sit and down, following week, they learn leave it and front, but go over sit, down, stay, and wait, and so on and so forth.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
reinforce what she knows and make it reliable. teach one thing
at a time and then move on but going back to reinforce what she knows.
7 months is young and you have plenty of time to train. train
and socialize everyday. i like training in short sessions. each session
lasting 5 to 10 minutes but i conduct many sessions during the course
of a day. at 7 months old my dog didn't know to much but 2 yrs later
he knew a lot.
This is good advice...

I remember getting frustrated over time because we didn't seem to be progressing. In fact I felt we were regressing or maybe Mac was rebelling.

I believe I was given this exact advice 2 years ago when Mac about that age and it helped a lot. And 2 years later Mac is still a handful :) but has 100% recall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts