German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Hello all. Its me, i want to thank you for all your help. I have worked on my dog with most tips and he has definitely improved. He is a lot more obedient and i make sure he gets his exercise. I also find that he's more easily trained through his tug of war toy. I really appreciate you all. It is a work in progress, but i definitely see progress.

One thing that's on my mind is how he reacts around strangers, hes perfectly fine outside or on walks and wont bark at anyone although he doesn't like to get close to them. But he hates when people come over, this is due to his lack of socialization which was cause by quarantine. His training class literally got cancelled because of it. I'm sure its fear based, since he seems very wary of almost everyone, even when he's startled he barks. But if you have a dog with you, he automatically trusts you and you can pet him probably due to the dog smell on you.

Any advice will be appreciated, i would hate for him to nip someone because of his fear.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
He should be put away when guests come over. If he’s so uncomfortable that you’re afraid he might bite someone, save everyone the pain and put him in a room or crate where he feels safe. You can also start working on having him leashed to you while someone else answers the door and invites the guest in. He gets awesome treats for sitting calmly, looking at you, not barking, etc. Let him see that the person isn’t a threat (do NOT let them interact!), then put him away while things are looking good. You want to end it on a good note before he gets overwhelmed. Eventually it won’t be as big of a deal for him.

Always make sure guests 100% ignore him. That means no talking, petting, even looking at him. Even if he goes up to a guest, tell them to continue ignoring him. He needs to feel confident before he’s forced to interact.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
This sounds like a solid plan. My aunt came over earlier and i made her throw treats in his kennel while not looking at him. He still was going crazy but i was always there to tell him to stop before he barked. It kind of worked but he still barked at her before she left. I wish people can just listen and not interact with him, but everyone seems to always want to pet when he calms down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
He should be put away when guests come over. If he’s so uncomfortable that you’re afraid he might bite someone, save everyone the pain and put him in a room or crate where he feels safe. You can also start working on having him leashed to you while someone else answers the door and invites the guest in. He gets awesome treats for sitting calmly, looking at you, not barking, etc. Let him see that the person isn’t a threat (do NOT let them interact!), then put him away while things are looking good. You want to end it on a good note before he gets overwhelmed. Eventually it won’t be as big of a deal for him.

Always make sure guests 100% ignore him. That means no talking, petting, even looking at him. Even if he goes up to a guest, tell them to continue ignoring him. He needs to feel confident before he’s forced to interact.
This sounds like a solid plan. My aunt came over earlier and i made her throw treats in his kennel while not looking at him. He still was going crazy but i was always there to tell him to stop before he barked. It kind of worked but he still barked at her before she left. I wish people can just listen and not interact with him, but everyone seems to always want to pet when he calms down.

I also don't think the approach with me holding the leash will work at that point he disregards all treats and just focuses on the visitor

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

I also don't think the approach with me holding the leash will work at that point he disregards all treats and just focuses on the visitor
Yes, holding the leash is something you’d have to build to later. Honestly, if guests can’t listen to instructions either, he needs to be completely separated. It sounds like his crate is in a common area where guests are. Is it possible to move it somewhere else so he can be completely at peace? If he’s still barking in the crate because people are around, that’s not helping and may be making it worse because now he’s trapped in a space that’s supposed to be safe.

Reactions: dogma13

·
Registered
137 Posts
It’s important to remember that GSDs were not intended to just welcome people into their homes. I know there are always exceptions, but it’s not fair to the dogs to expect them to be trainable to be perfectly friendly and social with whoever walks in your door. You can train them to stay in one corner and possibly not react but it’s unrealistic to make a GSD greet outsiders with a wagging tail. My dog is always crated when people are in the house. It’s just her instinct to guard me when my back is turned... and she’s very well bred and very well socialized... but I’m not going to put her into a situation to get herself into trouble when she is just doing her job.
Part of the temperament test is a friendly person that suddenly turns on you. They’re not supposed to ever trust strangers, just tolerate them and not bite them until they’re a threat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
If you dont mind me asking, how could i possible train my dog to be this way. Not react towards people but at the same time be in look out

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Yes, holding the leash is something you’d have to build to later. Honestly, if guests can’t listen to instructions either, he needs to be completely separated. It sounds like his crate is in a common area where guests are. Is it possible to move it somewhere else so he can be completely at peace? If he’s still barking in the crate because people are around, that’s not helping and may be making it worse because now he’s trapped in a space that’s supposed to be safe.
Oh man, i didn't look at it that way. I thought it would help since he'd get used to seeing the person and seeing that they aren't a threat. But it also makes sense that it'll be a negative impact on how safe he feels in his crate.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you dont mind me asking, how could i possible train my dog to be this way. Not react towards people but at the same time be in look out
A really good “stay” command... but I would be lying if I said I would ever trust my dog around someone who was never going to be a threat because dogs aren’t THAT good at telling the difference, so even if you train them, they will always expect that the threat is coming at some point in the game and start getting more and more excited... it would be too complicated to train a dog to “sometimes guard” and “sometimes not”... you can’t explain to them which exercise it is today... you have to pick one and stick to it 😂
I don’t have enough time to fully explain at the moment but I can take more time later if you need more info... but if you want him to “guard” in any fashion at any point in time, then he should only be allowed near people when you’re ready to handle him doing his thing. Never let him around “innocent“ people unless he’s under your control, like on a leash. The dogs you see on YouTube that are trained in protection and the owners tells them to stay outside the bank while the do their banking for half an hour is WAY above most people’s capabilities in training (if it’s even possible, I haven’t seen it in person yet 😂) so don’t expect that out of a regular dog.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
A really good “stay” command... but I would be lying if I said I would ever trust my dog around someone who was never going to be a threat because dogs aren’t THAT good at telling the difference, so even if you train them, they will always expect that the threat is coming at some point in the game and start getting more and more excited... it would be too complicated to train a dog to “sometimes guard” and “sometimes not”... you can’t explain to them which exercise it is today... you have to pick one and stick to it 😂
I don’t have enough time to fully explain at the moment but I can take more time later if you need more info... but if you want him to “guard” in any fashion at any point in time, then he should only be allowed near people when you’re ready to handle him doing his thing. Never let him around “innocent“ people unless he’s under your control, like on a leash. The dogs you see on YouTube that are trained in protection and the owners tells them to stay outside the bank while the do their banking for half an hour is WAY above most people’s capabilities in training (if it’s even possible, I haven’t seen it in person yet 😂) so don’t expect that out of a regular dog.
It would be awesome if you could explain to me. I moved his kennel to the basement with some toys as the other comment said so that he can feel safe. And i'll be moving him back up when their no visitors until im sure he can control himself. Haha thanks for the help

61 - 70 of 70 Posts