German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Also any advice on treats to get him? He doesn't like most of his treats and the treats he does like is not healthy for him. I have to buy beef and dry it out in the oven and he seems to like that, but i'm not sure if there are any alternatives.
Chicken hearts were a winner for Kias. So were hot dogs, which are cheap, and bacon. Just a couple of ideas. Good luck!

Reactions: Cadfael

·
Registered
624 Posts
Not just food stimulates drive. Play, praise, and toys also work depending on the dog.

Reactions: Cadfael

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a nipping issue from my pup at first, and read that dogs correct their own litters with gentle nips to the side of the neck. It only took a few times of getting a firm but gentle pinch of fur on neck, along with a solid "no" and it nearly stopped completely. I had to remind her a few times over the following few weeks, but the difference was profound. One caution I would have is that your dog is at the point of getting his hormones, and with any breed that can add to the seriousness of nipping.

As for the prong collar, I had to watch a few videos online about how to size and position the collar on the dog's neck. If it slides down to his shoulders, it won't work. It sounds like that could be the case, since you say he is pulling during the walk. Positioned correctly, just behind the ears, they require almost zero tension to work correctly. I also went thru two to get one that worked better. For my dog the Herm Sprenger model works much better. If you have access to a trainer, I would encourage you to enroll immediately. In my area, group classes are about $250-$300 for 5 weeks. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Your family is undermining your training by chasing him and rewarding bad behavior. Find a good trainer, work on consistent behavior through rewards and some negative reinforcement needed. Watch many Stonnie videos more than once.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I want to thank you all for your advice. I've been walking my dog a lot more and i can definitely see a change in behavior and energy. He's able to stay with me inside now for longer without going crazy on everything inside. It feels amazing to actually feel like i'm on the right path.

But the one problem i have now is that, he really seems to be ignoring me on purpose. I can call his name and he'd look at me and ignore me, or i'd tell him to sit and most of the time i have to force/guide him to a sit. He was very good with all this before and i've been trying to reinforce it more but he just acts very stubborn and i think its on purpose. I heard it might be his rebellious phase but i don't think it should be this bad, I'm mostly ever comfortable when he's on a leash so that i can prevent him from doing things since he never listens.

I'm sure hes doing it on purpose because when there is treats involved, he does it well. But without treats or if hes not hungry he just ignores my command. I'm firm with him though, making sure he sits and wait before he goes out or comes in but he doesn't listen and wants to come in without doing what i ask of him.

Again thank you all for your help. You guys are awesome

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Hello all, I've lurked on this website for advice but couldn't really find a scenario close to mine.

My dog levi(7 months old), has recently been acting uncontrollable. He jumps on my parents and sometimes nips his teeth at me when I tell him to stop something. I walk him but we have a small neighborhood so I think I need to do more loops around. I use mostly a prong collar on him(which he constantly pulls on), it is impossible to walk him without a prong collar, although I recently got him an e-collar. He his always hyper and it makes it impossible to have him inside the house, he's mostly outside(which he hates) and when he's inside I have to put him in his cage to prevent him from destroying everything. I agree that he might not be getting enough attention from me, due to the fact that my college classes are very tasking.
I welcome any advice, and will take them into consideration.
Thank you all
I read the whole thread. It's good that you are committed to changing things, I just wanted to add a few things no one mentioned.
I made a 30' line for my dog using a couple of old clips off of busted leashes and $5 worth of rope from the hardware store. I like the whatever it is climbing/marine rope. Don't waste your time with cotton rope or that yellow garbage, it's too hard to tie proper knots in. Some old hockey or electrical tape can be used to wrap the knots for added safety. I put a clip at either end so I can fasten it around my waist and keep my hand free. Shadow had hers for 6 years, cost less then $10 to make. I only had to make a new one because hers got burnt in half while we were camping.
Play fetch for 10 minutes before you try and walk him, makes a huge difference. Also when walking do quick direction changes or figure eights to get his attention fixed on you. Stop using the prong if it doesn't fit properly.
Spend a few minutes a day brushing, giving belly rubs, anything that means you are focused on him and only him. Leave the phone at home on walks, that's his time not yours. I hope you are already doing this. Lots of us are busy and it's tough to spend time with our dogs, so make sure the time he gets is quality time.
You can cut one hotdog into a pile of little bitty treats, so if he likes them go for it. I microwave for a few seconds, cut into small slices and then cut the slices into halves or quarters. Bag them in your pocket though or they make your pockets stink.
Since your family is already chasing him, teach him tag. You chase him then he chases you, that way you can add start and end cues to prevent issues down the road.

Have fun with your pup, he sounds like a good dog.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Woah this is awesome advise. 😅Dog things are expensive so I'm glad you gave me a way to make him a line cheap.
Thank you

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I read the whole thread. It's good that you are committed to changing things, I just wanted to add a few things no one mentioned.
I made a 30' line for my dog using a couple of old clips off of busted leashes and $5 worth of rope from the hardware store. I like the whatever it is climbing/marine rope. Don't waste your time with cotton rope or that yellow garbage, it's too hard to tie proper knots in. Some old hockey or electrical tape can be used to wrap the knots for added safety. I put a clip at either end so I can fasten it around my waist and keep my hand free. Shadow had hers for 6 years, cost less then $10 to make. I only had to make a new one because hers got burnt in half while we were camping.
Play fetch for 10 minutes before you try and walk him, makes a huge difference. Also when walking do quick direction changes or figure eights to get his attention fixed on you. Stop using the prong if it doesn't fit properly.
Spend a few minutes a day brushing, giving belly rubs, anything that means you are focused on him and only him. Leave the phone at home on walks, that's his time not yours. I hope you are already doing this. Lots of us are busy and it's tough to spend time with our dogs, so make sure the time he gets is quality time.
You can cut one hotdog into a pile of little bitty treats, so if he likes them go for it. I microwave for a few seconds, cut into small slices and then cut the slices into halves or quarters. Bag them in your pocket though or they make your pockets stink.
Since your family is already chasing him, teach him tag. You chase him then he chases you, that way you can add start and end cues to prevent issues down the road.

Have fun with your pup, he sounds like a good dog.
Woah this is awesome advise. 😅Dog things are expensive so I'm glad you gave me a way to make him a line cheap.
Thank you

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Thank you
I used a bowline knot for the clips and wrapped it with tape. With clips on both ends it doubles as a running tie out if you ever need to just slip the rope through the handle on his leash and fasten each end to a stationary object, tree, truck or whatever. He will have the whole length to run up and down.
Dog stuff is expensive, so a bit of thinking can save you tons of cash.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
You have learned the main downside of treat training. He isn't responding to you, he responds to the treat. My current trainer, who I’m not using anymore due to Covid but would if I needed to, uses treats very sparingly and weans off them quickly. His advice is to make yourself so interesting to the dog that he focuses totally on you. I did focused training, Look at me, Watch. I used intermittent food rewards, praise and favorite toys to train. I suggest you watch a lot of Stonnie videos, One of favorites is a video series I stumbled on when I was researching field Labradors. If you watch them through you will get a good idea of how he makes himself interesting during training. He talks about training as an art, keyed toward the dog itself.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
I made a 30' line for my dog using a couple of old clips off of busted leashes and $5 worth of rope from the hardware store.
If you don't have a busted leash to use to repurpose the clips, you can find large leash-clips at the hardware store for around $1-$2. I've seen them at small Ace/True Value-type neighborhood stores, and also at giant Home Depot stores -- they're in the hardware aisle in a little plastic bin.

·
Registered
243 Posts
He is a 7 month old GSD, acting like a typical GSD who lacks the necessary training and stimulation. I highly suggest you take the time NOW to hire a trainer and either become more active with your dog or invest your money into doggy daycare. As far as pulling on a walk, you're using your prong collar wrong. I have never had to use one with my GSD, we have a leather martingale that works well. When she pulled, we would stop, turn around, walk back a bit, and turn around. Eventually, she learned she didn't get to pull me around and the walking stopped when she pulled. Currently working with my ESS in the same fashion. However, my dogs walk for at least an hour and a half each day. You HAVE to invest time in your dog or you will have a major problem as he gets older and bigger. Either invest the time and money or find him a new home that can do that because this is going to cause a LOT of problems down the line.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My dog levi(7 months old), has recently been acting uncontrollable.
I recently strained my back and couldn't give my 10-month-old up the exercise he needs and was used to receiving. In about three days he turned into a total nightmare. Nipping and backing at everyone and everything. He lost almost all of his impulse control. 100 lbs of crazy on four legs.

We started exercising again today with some walks and he is returning to his old personality. He is still a bit jumpy but I hope that will go away in a few days when I can throw a ball again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, I've lurked on this website for advice but couldn't really find a scenario close to mine.

My dog levi(7 months old), has recently been acting uncontrollable. He jumps on my parents and sometimes nips his teeth at me when I tell him to stop something. I walk him but we have a small neighborhood so I think I need to do more loops around. I use mostly a prong collar on him(which he constantly pulls on), it is impossible to walk him without a prong collar, although I recently got him an e-collar. He his always hyper and it makes it impossible to have him inside the house, he's mostly outside(which he hates) and when he's inside I have to put him in his cage to prevent him from destroying everything. I agree that he might not be getting enough attention from me, due to the fact that my college classes are very tasking.
I welcome any advice, and will take them into consideration.
Thank you all
Hello
Mental work does wonders.
Walking around the blocks is not enough for these dogs.
They want to learn. So sit, stay, come, down, roll over, watch me, turn to the left, turn to the right, leave it, bring it..........so much you can teach this dog. And he will be mentally tired.
Hope some professional person has shown you how to use the prong correctly and the E collar extremely correctly.
good luck

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
it is not too early to teach your pup "work". You can teach your pup to pick up laundry and put it into the hamper or help you carry it to the washing machine. Put a thick rope on the basket and have him drag the basket to you. Haven him find "lost" house keys. Teach the pup to imitate you as in you sit, he sits, you lay on the floor, he lays on the floor, you spin around, he spins around, etc. If you have a small child playground that doesn't ban pets, use the slides and tunnels for doggy parkour.

But mostly find yourself a trainer who can watch you,even if it is online. Sometimes just a small change in the way you time your corrections and rewards can make a big difference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Also any advice on treats to get him? He doesn't like most of his treats and the treats he does like is not healthy for him. I have to buy beef and dry it out in the oven and he seems to like that, but i'm not sure if there are any alternatives.
My GSD has a very sensitive tummy and is allergic to chicken. I found these Lung treats on amazon. All 3 of my dogs love these. Sounds nasty, but no adverse side effects and they find them tasty.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts