German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Griff knows he is irresistible (anthropomorphism, I know). I am stil laughing as I am writing this. I sometimes have to rest on the couch when my back is tired from yard work. Same this afternoon. But he wasn't ready for that. What he did, was sitting right in front of me, looking me straight in the eyes, I could feel his breath, me under while thinking that, if he wanted, he could easily take my face off with his shiny white chompers. Of course, none of that. He kept staring me in the eyes and I tried to ignore him by not returning that look. But looking at him from the corner of my eyes, I was almost bursting from laughing and I guess he sensed it because he cocked his head, which looked so puppy-ish then. I laughed out loud, hugged him over my chest and he panted happily and enjoyed the result of his persistence.
Lately he has been awesomely compliant and respectful so he got away with this last antic. I love him, we have a good thing going; that little brat from a month ago. But I remain vigilant; after all, he just graduated from puppy to adolescent.
How are your adolescent dogs manipulating you?

·
Super Moderator
7,103 Posts
Lol,they still do!When Samson wants attention he'll lay on his side with his muzzle on my foot and start thumping his tail.Misty will stand back,stretch out her leg,and poke me with her paw.If I look at her she gives me the forlorn puppy eyes.They make me laugh too,the poor neglected beasts:)

Reactions: wolfy dog

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My boy will do the classic dropping a toy to my lap when he's being ignored. He brings a toy, drops the toy on my lap, politely moves back and wait. And also he... Walks in front of the telly, looks at me, sits with a smiley face. Until I tell him to MOVE!!!! Lol. Or when I'm sitting on a sofa he'll come and look at me and just sits down and stare.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, ha, that I-don't-want-you-on-that-PC look. They are so right; playing with them is better. But they don't need to know that.....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hah, Beau is 3 and he still does this. He started it at ~9-10 months, I think.

Beau is not big on human-style affection, not since he was 16 weeks. He doesn’t really like his head patted, hates to be hugged and barely tolerates (and not for long) any kind of snuggling. But at ~10 months he started coming up to me and putting his head in my lap for pats and mini-hugs, which made me go all soft on him, cuz I didn’t get to pat and cuddle him very often. The second he saw that soft look, he’d run away, grab his ball, bring it back and drop it in my lap, watching me expectantly. Of course we played. After a while I realized he was initiating and enduring the patting sessions in order to get me to play ball with him in the house, which back then I had rules against. Not because he actually wanted a cuddle, but because he knew *I* would, and figured he could use it to his advantage.

It worked then, and it works now. That is how Catch became a permissible indoor game. Except now I just scratch his ears for a bit first, since he actually likes that.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Such an awesome characteristic of our breed..that desire for engagement <3 Wow he is 7 months already!! Time does fly, with kids and pups <3

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hahaha! Griff sounds like such a little character. I just love that puppy head tilt.

Sitka is very demanding about his affection. He went from being pretty anti-cuddle, to extremely lovey-dovey. It started at about 7 months. If I'm on the couch, he will lay his head on the arm by mine and nuzzle my head. If I allow him up, he worms his way next to me, and I can't resist the hugs, just can't. Usually his head is lolled back, tongue hanging out in a huge smile.
If I'm in the recliner, and watching a show, he will stand on the foot completely blocking the tv. He moves when I ask him too, but it's like he's reminding me he exisits (like I could forget).
And every single day after work, I sit in the recliner, and he puts half him body over the arm, and burys his head into my side or my leg, sometimes my neck if he can. It's like this ultimate puppy hug from a 70lbs moose. Then he hops off and begs to play. <3

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are amazing dogs. Sometimes I can't believe I have two of them but sometimes I do for sure ;).
I expected Griff to have grown some ego from yesterday's 'everything-is-honky-dory' but he is being really good and no need for corrections at all (she said while knocking on wood)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Thus is my first GSD ever and I HAD NO IDEA they are so playful and soooo goofy! And SO affectionate too. Whenever he's looking so cute and silly I be like, 'This is the dog breed that they use in various law enforcement and military????? You sure????' LOL. For those who haven't had a GSD before it is such a pleasant surprise

·
Registered
813 Posts
Thus is my first GSD ever and I HAD NO IDEA they are so playful and soooo goofy! And SO affectionate too. Whenever he's looking so cute and silly I be like, 'This is the dog breed that they use in various law enforcement and military????? You sure????' LOL. For those who haven't had a GSD before it is such a pleasant surprise
Every dog is different

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And SO affectionate too. Whenever he's looking so cute and silly I be like, 'This is the dog breed that they use in various law enforcement and military????? You sure????' LOL.
When I see Deja's and Griff's intensity while fetching I do believe what they are capable of. When they take off after a toy, I often think, "Wow, if you were a criminal, you wouldn't want this dog after you." But then at home in the evening (when they know the day is done) they morph into these softies.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
And SO affectionate too. Whenever he's looking so cute and silly I be like, 'This is the dog breed that they use in various law enforcement and military????? You sure????' LOL.
When I see Deja's and Griff's intensity while fetching I do believe what they are capable of. When they take off after a toy, I often think, "Wow, if you were a criminal, you wouldn't want this dog after you." But then at home in the evening (when they know the day is done) they morph into these softies.
Wolfy, that's exactly my thoughts. Mine protects me when needed. He'd swim out to 'save me,' responds to 'help,' when a dog jumps on me he will tell that dog off until I say I'm okay and he will walk away and back to a relaxed state. But very different when he is relaxed and playing at home. Wolfy, how old is Deja again?

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wolfy, that's exactly my thoughts. Mine protects me when needed. He'd swim out to 'save me,' responds to 'help,' when a dog jumps on me he will tell that dog off until I say I'm okay and he will walk away and back to a relaxed state. But very different when he is relaxed and playing at home. Wolfy, how old is Deja again?
4.5 years old

1 - 15 of 15 Posts