German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kias is seven months now!

I didn't post at six months, so I decided to give everyone who wants it a little update on training and how he's doing.

He's doing wonderfully with his training. Was just introduced recently to the option of his food bowl or coming to me. (I know, its' pretty late. It's the first distraction he's had. I'm not taking chances.) He hesitated for a second then came straight to me! Then I told him to "go get it", and as he went, to "stop". He did a nice stop right then and there, inches away from his bowl, and waited till I said he could go again. (Yes, I teach both stop and down. Right now his down is sluggish, so I am using stop as an emergency till it is better.) We also did a bunch of sit-stays (which he is wonderful at) in the back yard.

Also doing very well with his reactivity towards other dogs. He has been exposed to several ill-behaved dogs and instead of barking back or running at them, he's followed me and focused on his handler rather than the dog. One time a big bull dog charged up to him off leash (ignoring his owner's call) and I did the best I could and got him away the by running him away quickly. (I actually wished he had barked in that situation.) Minutes later he walked calmly past another dog jumping and barking at him twenty feet away. Another time he just sat with me as a little dog barked and growled as it walked past.

This does not mean we're skipping trainers. Mom is hopefully scheduling something soon in the next week or so. I just thought all of the people who have helped me would like to hear how he's doing.

Here's a pic from his training session this morning!

He's getting so big and handsome!

·
Registered
233 Posts
So awesome to hear! My Blu took a little while but once she hit 7 months (she's 8 months now) the light bulb turned on and she follows commands easily now. It's wonderful! Keep up the good work, Kias!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody! He's doing much better than I thought he would be at this age. I'm very proud of him. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts