German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jake is now 7 months old and it really seems like his interest in chewing has increased. He loves to chew his nylabone, a bullystick or anything outside like sticks, rocks and leaves. He is destroying all toys.... It seems as though his interest is more intense now then when he was actually cutting teeth. Is this normal or is he going through a late stage of teething?

A second question, has anyone given deer or elk antlers? I am concerned with cracking a tooth but looking for "long lasting" products for him to chew.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I have 2 deer antlers in my house right now. We've already had them for about 2 months... they are sort of losing interest in them now. At first the dogs were all over them. now, every day or two i'll notice a dog chomping away on one. they certainly last a long itime..

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
When Hondo was around 7-8 months his interest in chewing increased as well. But it seemed to me to be more of a power chew. Like instead of working his teeth, he was working his jaws. When he was younger, he had really very little interest in the kong - but at about that age, he would chomp on it all day long.

Even now at 1 year, he'll sit outside and work a tennis ball in his mouth until he breaks the binding. We take it away and he starts on another one. Because of this (I'm afraid he'll swallow parts of it if he gets it apart) we only let him play with tennis balls when we are watching. But he loves those the best because he can really work his jaws on them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
We have a couple of antlers in the house also... different shapes and textures, long smooth one and a couple of short knobby ones. (I didn't know if they'd like one over the other and figured changing it up a bit would help) but like ChicagoJosh, they lose their interest in them after a while so I put them away for several days at a time and re-introduce them here and there to keep them "new". The brown ones have lost some color from them chewing but have not had any pieces break off or any other issues. It's been indestructible so far, but I'm also not working with a heavy jawed power chewer.
Around here, they're great.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Like the others have said, Stosh is now a 'power chewer' at 8 mos. He's currently working on an elk antler and the same thing, he seemed to have lost interest but goes back to it every other day or so. He's barely made a dent in the end of it so it's been pretty indestructible. He LOVES Himalayan Chews- expensive but they last a long long time. His favorite is still the long bully sticks but they go too fast to keep a supply and I worry about too much of that stuff in his stomach. He never liked the puppy Kong but I just bought him an adult xlarge and he's chewing on it lately.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
He's at the age he's losing his puppy teeth and getting his adult teeth. It's very normal to go through the '2nd' teething stage. The good news is it won't last as long as the 1st stage did!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, no cracked teeth or worry from the antlers? I can't get over how much he wants to chew......

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I know, Stosh is chewing sticks, frisbees, anything. I've offered him a frozen rag but it's not the same kind of teething like you said- more of a jaw action rather than teeth through the gums. He's still after the antler even though it sounds as though he's chewing stone! I even caught him chewing on the edge of the deck! Hopefully the next order of Himalayan Chews will arrive tomorrow

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Jake is now 7 months old and it really seems like his interest in chewing has increased. He loves to chew his nylabone, a bullystick or anything outside like sticks, rocks and leaves. He is destroying all toys.... It seems as though his interest is more intense now then when he was actually cutting teeth. Is this normal or is he going through a late stage of teething?
Nikki has been doing the same thing for a couple of months now, destroying all of her toys. She didn't chew this much at all while she was teething.

A second question, has anyone given deer or elk antlers? I am concerned with cracking a tooth but looking for "long lasting" products for him to chew.
I have given her a moose and a deer antler but I was really worried about her breaking a tooth. They are so hard and she is a pretty aggressive chewer, she also managed to break off a piece from the deer antler and I had to take it away from her. No more antlers for Nikki :(

Michaela

·
Registered
514 Posts
My boy just hit 7 months and now that all of his teeth have come in, he must think he has to use those big teeth. Instead of what used to be chewing has turned into a "crunch and done" scenario.

Remy has also been way more mouthy lately, so I think he is testing out his new teeth and jaw strength, or at least that is what it looks (and feels!) like from the human side.

And to your second questions, I just bought a deer antler for him, he doesn't really like chewing on it because it's like chewing on a salty rock. He mostly carries it around and licks the dehydrated marrow, yum.

The Free Range Dog Chews brand (Welcome to Free Range Dog Chews, Inc.) has lasted WAY longer than any store bought brand I have tried. I was spending 5 bucks for a 12" bully at the pet food store and it would last 30minutes. A 12" supreme (Product) lasts a couple days or about 2-5 hours of intense chewing for the same price. Plus they don't stink like the store bought types!

I am now buying him the 18" size, and may buy their "monster 12inch" to see if it lasts longer.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
stosh chewed through a nylabone? wow haha

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
He chewed the end off of it- the chicken flavored one so it was a little softer I guess. But still, they're supposed to be indestructible.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is exactly what Jake is doing...exercising his jaws....I am concerned because some research proved many dogs damage their teeth on antlers. I have looked at the Himalayan Chews but they are way expensive if he is going to blow through those like a bully stick!!! I have a resource here to get "dog bones" from a beef farmer at 7.50a bag....but we are going through those like mad too! I am looking for that "magic bullet" chew toy. Also...I want him to at least have a few toys but he is chewing a destroying EVERYTHING. I hope this is a short lived stage!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts