German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hip questions

So I've been going back and forth about posting this and I think at this point I just need some advice. Stella my 7 month old puppy seems to be having "swinging" hips. I am uncertain whether or not it is because she is going through a growth spurt and is just having an awkward phase like puppies have sometimes or if it is something more severe. She is fairly long and I'm wondering I'd it is just her body catching up with the rest of herself. I also noticed her hips popping, with that being said I don't mean when she walks or runs I only noticed because I was playing with her and was petting her on the butt and I felt her hip pop. I hope this makes sense! Any advice or insight would be great.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Honestly the best advice IMO is to get X-rays done & submitted to OFA. At 6 months you can have prelims done.

Is she a healthy weight?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes! I haven't weighed her since she was spayed but she weighed 54 then. I've kept her on the leaner side and she is very active. I've scheduled an appointment for xrays on monday and I was partially hoping i was just being a worry wart. Its just nerve wrecking. She is my girl and idk what I would do if anything happened to her

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm getting worried the more time passes I put my hand on her hip ans when she walks I can feel them pop :( is is possible that this is just a growth spurt or something? And not hip dysplasia?!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
The looseness is not that concerning because they can tighten up. The popping I would be concerned about. My Rafi's hips did a lot of popping when I first adopted him and so did my 7 month old kitten's hips (!). Both of them were also lacking in muscle mass in that area. I put both of them on joint support, started regular exercise and they both improved a lot and the popping went away.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'd get the popping hips checked out by your vet. My OES was 8 weeks old when her hips popped in and out. Back then there was little that could be done, not sure what they can do today for a puppy but I'd sure find out if I were you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The looseness is not that concerning because they can tighten up. The popping I would be concerned about. My Rafi's hips did a lot of popping when I first adopted him and so did my 7 month old kitten's hips (!). Both of them were also lacking in muscle mass in that area. I put both of them on joint support, started regular exercise and they both improved a lot and the popping went away.
What joint support did you use? We do exercise regularly but its just pretty basic walks and what not. We just got back into the swing of things after her being spayed. I'm going on monday to get her hips checked out. I also wanted to mention that she in no way seems uncomfortable, I know dogs are pretty good at masking pain but she still run jumps and a ts like the crazy puppy she is!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I use a couple because Rafi's joints are really bad (he's 7 now). Here are some that I like:

Springtime Inc. Longevity
In Clover Connectin powder
Vetriscience Glycoflex III tablets

I also give high doses of Ester C but you're not supposed to do that for a growing puppy. He also gets some herbal anti-inflammatories, Tumeric and Ark Naturals Sea Mobility Jerky treats and if he's really sore he gets Traumeel, Zeel or Arnica.

Btw, Rafi does show some pain but his muscle mass is still good so several vets have told me they wouldn't advise surgery based on how well he's doing without it. I have been moderating his exercise--lots of walking and hiking on and off leash, swimming or walking in water, if possible but limiting his running and jumping.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use a couple because Rafi's joints are really bad (he's 7 now). Here are some that I like:

Springtime Inc. Longevity
In Clover Connectin powder
Vetriscience Glycoflex III tablets

I also give high doses of Ester C but you're not supposed to do that for a growing puppy. He also gets some herbal anti-inflammatories, Tumeric and Ark Naturals Sea Mobility Jerky treats and if he's really sore he gets Traumeel, Zeel or Arnica.

Btw, Rafi does show some pain but his muscle mass is still good so several vets have told me they wouldn't advise surgery based on how well he's doing without it. I have been moderating his exercise--lots of walking and hiking on and off leash, swimming or walking in water, if possible but limiting his running and jumping.
Thanks for all of your help. Hopefully the vet will have good news on monday. I'm just upset something could be wrong with her. I feel deprived that I might not be able to get to spend as much time with her as I had thought. You get a puppy thinking you will have years and years with them. I'm probably overreacting but my brain is in overdrive right now :/

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
HD is NOT a death sentence! My first gsd was diagnosed with severe bilateral HD at under a year old and lived to be almost 12. Her death was unrelated to her hips!

Don't panic--she could be just fine and even if she does have HD, it is totally manageable. No one could ever tell from looking at Rafi--even a vet!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I also want to echo the statement that HD is NOT a death sentence by any means. There are so many dogs who do have HD and live normal lives. It's important to build muscle, swimming is excellent for this. Maintain a good healthy weight and give supplements.

BUT first you have to really know what your dealing with, get the xray done.

Do you have hip & elbow info on the parents...or better going further back?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also want to echo the statement that HD is NOT a death sentence by any means. There are so many dogs who do have HD and live normal lives. It's important to build muscle, swimming is excellent for this. Maintain a good healthy weight and give supplements.

BUT first you have to really know what your dealing with, get the xray done.

Do you have hip & elbow info on the parents...or better going further back?
She is at the vet as we speak! Hopefully good news. Unfortunately I do not have any info on the parents hips. The only thing I know is none of her littermates or any past litters have had any type of problems. Which I know really means nothing but its all I have lol.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I just got the phone call from the vet. She has a very mild case of hip dysplasia in her left hip. The vet said its more of a loose hip rather than your typical hip dysplasia and the with manipulation she could only then feel or hear the pop. She said that she thinks that maybe further down the line she will have problems with arthritis but until that point she thinks that she will be fine and the popping that I felt will definitely go away. So my questions is where do I go from here? because she is a puppy what would someone suggest I put her on? I want the best so that she can continue to grow and live a normal pain free life. any suggestions would be great

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I didn't have much luck with the Cosequin products.

I've had good results with Kala Health Arthrix Plus HA. ARTHRIX products containing MSM, glucosamine, chondroitin, hyaluronic acid, cetyl myristoleate and Ester C to help dogs and cats with joint problems

It's got low molecular weight chondroitin, high molecular weight hyaluronic acid, MSM, glucosamine and it's made in the U.S. It can be purchased on Amazon.

Just make sure she gets a dose appropriate for her age and weight. You can call Kala health and they can help with questions as well.

Also look into a good quality fish/salmon oil (I like Iceland Pure brand, also found on Amazon).

If the HD is mild then it's really going to be an issue of management, weight, supplements and exercise but it's definitely do-able!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't have much luck with the Cosequin products.

I've had good results with Kala Health Arthrix Plus HA. ARTHRIX products containing MSM, glucosamine, chondroitin, hyaluronic acid, cetyl myristoleate and Ester C to help dogs and cats with joint problems

It's got low molecular weight chondroitin, high molecular weight hyaluronic acid, MSM, glucosamine and it's made in the U.S. It can be purchased on Amazon.

Just make sure she gets a dose appropriate for her age and weight. You can call Kala health and they can help with questions as well.

Also look into a good quality fish/salmon oil (I like Iceland Pure brand, also found on Amazon).

If the HD is mild then it's really going to be an issue of management, weight, supplements and exercise but it's definitely do-able!
Yeah the vet said it was hardly noticeable atleast I think I was mildly in shock when she told me. I'm going to pick her up now and I'm gonna have her go over it with me again. I do remember her saying it was mild and that one of the other vets has a golden with worse hips that doesn't even act like anything is wrong. I will try and update when I get back!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the vet said its moderate hip dysplasia in her left hip. No signs of arthritis possibly some down the line. She is going to speak with the orthopedic surgeon to see if she would be a candidate for the TPO hip surgery. I'm willing to do it if it will work. I'm just so upset right now. She said the popping will eventually go away, I'm just worried and I don't know what to do from here. She wasnt really clear about what I should do now. I know they were busy but some help would've been nice. I'm not really sure what I should now.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts