German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our family has a 7 month old puppy named Lola (pic). We bought her from a breeder at around 3.5 months of age because someone else had returned her to the breeder unable to care for her.

She is a major land shark. She runs around and will nip at our children (9, 2 and 1). She also seems to run into them like bowling pins, though I suspect this is mere clumsiness. We have purchased a Baskerville Ultra Muzzle which she will begrudgingly wear, but she seems to make up for it by running at the kids.

Regarding her land sharking: She will not bite me, but she will nip at my wife and son's(9 year old) ankles. She has a crate to retire to in our living room if the kids start bothering her too much, but up until we purchased the muzzle, she wasn't allowed to roam as freely as she was when we first got her.

Another issue we've is what seems like screaming. If she is in the crate at night, sometimes she will whelp/scream for long periods of time. The only other times she seems to do this are on walks. My wife walks her several miles per day with the jogging stroller(with the 2 and 1 year olds inside). When we go walking in the neighborhood or at the dog park, she starts to whelp and cry if my wife takes the stroller more than about 10 ft away. I can let her go off of the leash at the park and she will bolt for the stroller and continue to walk with it. I don't take this behavior as a negative as I realize why it's happening, but I was looking for some pointers on how to help her get used to this, aside from just doing it little by little to get her used to it.

More info: At the dog park, she gets along with almost all dogs. She attempted to approach one yesterday and it attacked her because it being territorial over it's ball. When attacked by the much larger dog, she immediately went down into submissive mode(which makes sense as she's just a baby). She has not bitten or done anything aside from smelling the many smells instead of coming when called. She doesn't run from us to keep from getting put back on the leash, but if she's intently smelling a pee soaked tree, she will not come.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Do you do any obedience with her? Avoid dog parks like the plague for socialization. As for recall, it takes a LOT of work-- especially at that age. Up the obedience training, a lot- enroll in classes, work a LOT of home. This is the terrible teenage stage :) (I'd post more but I'm short of time- I'm sure others will chime in)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you do any obedience with her? Avoid dog parks like the plague for socialization. As for recall, it takes a LOT of work-- especially at that age. Up the obedience training, a lot- enroll in classes, work a LOT of home. This is the terrible teenage stage :) (I'd post more but I'm short of time- I'm sure others will chime in)
We are working at home. My wife is starting to do more now as well. The dog park in our area has a little agility course and is quite large, so it is possible to avoid the other dogs for the most part unless we want to let her tucker herself out.

Some of the things I've been doing are making her sit before going out/in doors, up the stairs, into my truck, etc. I am going to step up the time spent in the evenings on obedience. I've taken her to the dog park the last 3 days and the whelping is not happening in the crate at bed time because she is so worn out. I think maybe she was just not getting enough exercise.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I don't envy you all, adding a puppy is the same for time/effort as adding another kid, so you all sure have your hands full realizing you need to spend the same amount of time with the puppy each day as with the kids!!!!

Keep the crate in the bedroom with you at night to continue with the quiet nights. And glad to see the exercise is helping. I know that's vital for me and my dogs. If you can put on the calendar, and even make sure at least one of your days off is full of a 'dog activity' you'll continue to see progress.

HUGE HELP if you can join and attend weekly dog classes to engage your pup mentally AND physically.

How many tricks can she do? click this --> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/191183-top-training-expectations-puppies.html

:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't envy you all, adding a puppy is the same for time/effort as adding another kid, so you all sure have your hands full realizing you need to spend the same amount of time with the puppy each day as with the kids!!!!

Keep the crate in the bedroom with you at night to continue with the quiet nights. And glad to see the exercise is helping. I know that's vital for me and my dogs. If you can put on the calendar, and even make sure at least one of your days off is full of a 'dog activity' you'll continue to see progress.

HUGE HELP if you can join and attend weekly dog classes to engage your pup mentally AND physically.

How many tricks can she do? click this --> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/191183-top-training-expectations-puppies.html

:)
As of now, she can sit, lay down, stay(for short periods) and speak. She will come when called whenever there isn't a distraction around(food on the floor from kids eating dinner, another dog). I make her do the sit and stay for opening doors, in and out of cars, going outside, etc. When we stop walking, she is starting to automatically sit and wait.

She will play hide and seek with my daughter Sadie. The nipping has dropped almost entirely since we started exercising her harder. She runs around the dog park with my older kids and doesn't mess with them like she did in the house. My daughter will run and hide behind a tree and we will have Lola sit down and wait and then we'll say, "Go find her!" and she'll take off and find her pretty easily.

Last night I was playing pull with her in the back yard. I started tossing the toy we were playing with. This toy is only for her and I to play with together. She never gets it by herself to play with alone. I was tossing it across the yard which she would happily go fetch, but she does not want to bring it back. She will stop about half way to lay down and chew on it a bit.

When we played last night after the dog park, I held her collar and tossed the toy. I would make her sit and then let her go get it. I slowly moved to only putting my fingers on her head and petting her while I threw the toy and would praise her for waiting and then would tell her to, "go get it." She happily obliged but only brought it back about 2 out of every five times, but she started to get the concept of waiting for permission to go.

I think we're making a lot of progress. My wife said she feels a lot better about her apprehensions regarding Lola after the park trip last night.

Pics from yesterday's trip to the dog park:

·
Registered
141 Posts
If Mightyschwartz doesn't mind me piggybacking as I'm having the same problem with nipping in a 7 month old! Sorry if you do mind!

He walks 1-4 miles a day, goes to obedience class every week and we work on his training every night and sometimes during the day as well which has backed it off a little, so has age. However he still nips or puts body parts in his mouth and applies some pressure (not a ton but enough to be uncomfortable). We don't play tug because of it, he only seems to bite me even though I'm the one he is most bonded to and does his training with (everything with honestly).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts