German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 7 month old wants to maul our cats. We have 5 cats who are all good with the other two dogs. But Zelda will chase, whine, run at, jump for, crawl for, mouth/bite any cat she see's. If she werent on a leash in the house she probably would have done some big damage to a cat. And I am worried for this. I do exercise her, i play with her, she plays with her sisters, i give her 2 meals a day.
Also when she sees a cat she ignores me, she wont make eye contact, she is totally fixed on the cat.. And getting her to pay attention with a treat doesnt work because she is not too treat motivated or toy.. So i usually walk in another direction when we see a cat or if i cat comes in the house i walk away or hold her down and try not to let her see it. At first i was trying to do meet and greet, but she was acting as if they are squirrel or rabbits.
Got any ideas on how i can get some peace?
I am sure i will never be able to trust her alone with cats, but it would be nice to have her off leash in the house. I am working on leave it, but the intensity of her cat obsession is so severe it wont be an option for a while i dont think.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now i'm not 100% sure about that because i never really get any further than her mouthing them. But i would say playing way too rough to the point of hurting them. Perhaps prey drive? Because she does make contact but i felt the cats after and they did not have any broken skin and didnt seem sensitive to the touch. And she plays with my sisters 70 pound dog, and they play rough, hanging on each others necks, etc. so perhaps it is just play.. but im thinking more prey-driven mauling behavior.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'll be following this thread, as my 9 month old shepherd is the same with our cats, we have one that runs and another one who stands his ground. So far she has only slobbered on him, but I do wonder what she would do if she caught the "runner." I can have them in the same room, but she whines and is fixated on the cat and it takes all her willpower to stay on her bed. The second I leave the room, she is up and slobbering on the cat again...

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I have the same problem with my soon to be 1 year old. I have come to the conclusion that unless the cats STOP running and being 'prey like', he wont stop chasing them. I know this because he encountered a cat outside the house, and it stood its ground, and he left it alone. The cats are young still, so it may be awhile. I just keep them separated and do NOT let any chasing occur. He is always crated when I am not home. I have been contemplating using an e-collar for it, (I had a thread about this a while back...not sure if you wanna look at it for ideas) but a lot recommended the e-collar, IF used right. I still have not made the plunge. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
some dogs are just going to be anti cats their entire lives. It is what it is.

I am down to 3 indoor kitties right now, (had 5) one rule here, dogs have to put up with the cats, no if's , and's or buts. Mine usually come in as puppies so it's easier to deal with.

I've told this story before, but here goes..I got a male aussie (rescue/herding lines) when he was 12 wks old. He was fine with my cats the first few days, then as he settled in, he decided he was going to "go to town" on the cats.

They didn't have run, they just had to look at him, and he'd be on top of them pinning them , ra ra ra-ing in their face, looked AWFUL like he was going to kill them, and maybe if I left it alone, he might have..

It only took me twice of , grabbing him by the back of the neck, removing him from the cat , getting in his face and really (verbally) letting him have it..After the second time, he knew I meant business..Well he's now 12 years old, and never touched or bothered them again..

I don't advise anyone to do what I did, but trying to make the point, sometimes being the nice guy doesn't work. You (general you) certainly don't have to beat a dog to get your point across, but being FIRM, consistence, and making it known that the behavior will NOT be tolerated, can work sometimes..and sometimes not:)

While positive methods can certainly work, and I"m all for them ,it depends on the dog, my other aussie would have 'died' if I had done that to her,,she's a marshmelow.

when you have a determined dog, you have to be determined to. To many people coddle their dogs (not saying this is what's happening) and let them get away with stuff, when giving an appropriate correction can help as well..

Ok done rambling

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is a really good article, thank you! I am bringing home my new GSD puppy in 4 weeks & I have 2 cats already (5y male & 12 yr female). The older one grew up with my last dog from kitten hood (they were a year apart). I think I might have been really spoiled because my last dog was amazing in all ways. But I also spent a lot of money training him.

Hopefully it all goes well, especially since I'm bringing a puppy. He will not have the run of the house (he will either be leashed or crated), & I plan on spoiling my kitties even more than normal so they don't get jealous. They have plenty of places to get away, & places where they can get high up so they won't feel as intimidated. My plan is to put the puppy crate w/out the puppy in it in the house after our drive home so they can get used to his smell. I will give them lots of love & treats while they sniff & explore. Then later I will crate the puppy & let them get used to him & again get lots of love & treats. And I will be getting lots of professional training for my dog. I also trim my cats claws on a regular basis. Hopefully my plan for the cats getting used to the puppy & him knowing his place in the home will work.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys.
Jean, there were some helpful things on that article.
Jakoda, i tried the scruff technique while she was on her side on the floor, she still looked at the cat and when i was done she seem offended that i did that, without any improvement from the obssession with the cats. So i guess i decided that is probably not the route to go with her. And i am not sure if even high value treats would work because she does not look at me or care to, i even will sit in front of her and she wont make eye contact... not even chicken meat or cheese would work.
I guess my one idea is that i got a starmark prong collar, its the plastic one, so i guess they are more gentle, and i am going to do the snap release when she starts to pull or whine and when she looks at me I will treat her and praise her. So that she knows what the good and bad behavior is. I've seen trainers do this with other negative behaviors except without the treat rewarding for the good behavior. So i think this might work? Or perhaps a bad idea?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
That's what I would do, use a command, like "leave it",,and use a voice that means business:) I would put her on leash , stand around, walk around, if she even looks at the cat with that "intent' in her eye, I'd use "leave it", turn in the opposite direction, reward/praise when she isn't staring them down...

If she is to zoned out to take the treat, HIGH praise..Masi works for praise, she could honestly care less about the 'treat', or she is obsessed with a tug, frisbee/jolly ball. If yours is toy motivated use the toy for a reward...Sometimes it's really hard if not impossible to get them out that 'zone',,when they say, zone in on the cat or any other object..I just work on good solid "leave it's' for most everything I don't want them to touch/ignore..

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
and hey if it doesn't work, well ya just gotta try something else:)))

·
Registered
8 Posts
Zu (8 months/85 lbs), loves my 1.5 yr female cat, Fig. If he was more settled, they would probably curl up together. If she's on my lap, she'll let him come up and lick her but he's really aggressive about it. By the time it's over, she is covered in drool and not happy about it. If he sees Fig on the floor, he immediately goes for her and tries to stop her by jumping on her like she's a bunny. So, I have to be really careful about that because he could seriously hurt her. I know when he's older, they will be close buddies.

My 6 yr male, Archimedes...put Zu in his place at 8 weeks. Zu is fascinated by him but Arch stands his ground. I found Arch on the street at 5 weeks being attacked by a neighbor's Shepherd that was off leash so he already has an aversion to dogs. However, for all of the issues that each of them have, they get along pretty well. Bottom line, they will work it out but you have to oversee the process closely for safety's sake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm glad to see that gsd's and cats do get along (eventually :) ). I have a 6 year old cat named taz that we rescued and we have a 4 month old puppy. Bane wants to play with everything that runs and taz wants no part of it. Bane usually runs up to him to lick but if he gets to rough I use leave it in a stern voice and he'll bounce away! If taz is irritated he'll give him a couple of bops on the head and that usually works to :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I guess on the flip side of the coin, we have had cats that were raised around dogs, selpt with them, etc, then all of a sudden turn crazy on the dogs! We didn't have the shepherds then, but a little spitz mix that loved cats. They selpt together, played. My son brought a kitten home and she thought she was her mama! Then 2 or 3 years later all of a sudden she began attacking the dog! Jump on his back, teeth and claws all over the place, she even attacked me in the frenzy! The dog had done nothing, but did run for his life when she started up! He never fought back even! She did it every time she saw him! We had another cat that started doing the same thing too! She had never seen the other cat. Like out of the blue! The dog had got out, we let him back in the front door, all he was doing was walking thru the room to the back door and the cat went crazy! After that day she would do the same thing, attack the dog, the other cats, us even when she went into this frenzy. I know the dog had never done anything to either cat, he stayed out during the day and they were inside. He was never around the cats unsupervised. But as said, he was good around all animals. I had never seen cats do that before except for a stray that was hanging around our house and attacked my sisters dog she had brought over with her! I don't know why they started, the other cats didn't do it, they ran too!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm going to have to try the high-value treats while the cat is in the room method. Vader is AWFUL with my cat, my parents joke that he'd be sorry if it was my now passed cat because that one would put him in his place no problem.

Since we brought him home, he goes after the cat if he sees it. He's rougher now that he's older but doesn't go search the cat out nearly as often. Nothing gives you a near heart attack as much as watching him grab the cat off the back of the couch by the head and pull him down.

They've declared war on each other more or less. My 4 year old cat gets along with both other dogs, cuddles with them and sleeps. But Vader goes after him to play roughly and Mac gets revenge by peeing in his crate and on his toys. My house is a joy right now.

No amount of firm correction has done it for him. He's great with 'Leave It' so long as I'm not telling him to leave the cat alone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts