German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone! This is my first post on here. I know the topic of best food has been discussed beyond belief, but I have to ask one more time.

Currently, my 7 month old has been on Fromms LBP since I got him at 8 weeks. He's always had somewhat soft stools but nothing bad and the vet says he is heathy (weighed in at 65lbs last Thursday). We are very active and go to the park 5 times a week.Anyways, he recently has decided he no longer likes the taste of his food and won't eat it! I'm looking at switching him over to either Victor active, TOTW pacific or Acana.

It seems as if Acana has 1) discontinued their large breed puppy food and 2) have had quality control issues since moving to Kentucky (same I hear of Orijen - will link when not on mobile). The problem with TOTW is some of you guys say the quality is also poor and I fear he will have soft stools on it. I hear good things about Victor, but I wish they had a LBP version. I was thinking about switching him to Victor LBA Hero with glucosamine support, or trying a Fromms adult but I think he is still a little young for that. He just turned 7 months today.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I hope everything reads easy (hard to tell on mobile). Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
I would just go to an adult food. I switch my pups after a couple of bags of puppy to adult. And I use either Fromm or
Earthborn - TOTW has not been popular when I tried it and BB seems to give so many dogs the runs.....Earthborn is grain free as well.

Lee

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lee - thanks for the response! Is the calcium ratio ok for him at this age to switch over to adult?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or do you recommend Wellness? I've heard good stuff about them. Or something from Acana (hesitant on the quality there since they moved bases)

Again, I'm sure there is a way for me to edit my last post and put this in there but I'm mobile at the moment and struggling... thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I myself use fromm heartland gold adult for my Malinois and huskylab mix, but most of the brands mentioned are reputable. I'd suggest getting a small bag and seeing if he'll eat it before spending 50+ on a large bag of food that may not agree with him or he may not like.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Why not switch flavors with each new bag of Fromm's?
That should keep your boy interested! :wink2:

Fromm's is a family owned AND manufactured dog food. They know exactly what is going into their foods!

Moms :smile2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts