German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Yes, it's vain. Yes i'm happy as long as the pup is happy. BUT this dog is my world, she pulled me out of the darkest hole and now she is giving more love and attention to my room mate, it's almost as if I don't exist. I can't tell my room mate to ignore her either since that's inappropriate and we are on lock down due to this virus. I am the only one who feeds the dog, I am the only one who takes her outside and plays with her. The room mate only gives her affection and a tiny amount of discipline. I'm the alpha but i'm starting to feel as if I'm losing that because my dog clearly likes my room mate better than me. This has all started over the past month once we moved in together. I don't know what to do. Yes i'm being selfish but it honestly breaks my heart that my dog would rather give someone else love and affection than me. It kills me. Especially in a time like this, I need her now more than ever.

Any advice will go a long way.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It's probably nothing personal on her part. She probably just sees your roommate as a shiny new object that she wants attention from. Potentially also as just a source of fun, like a kid and a fun relative. My dog Codi will also go give my dad's friend attention when we visit because he's a pushover and will play fetch with her. Same with my roommate. She is definitely my dog though, she just knows how to work them.

You could try making her work for your attention a bit more if you freely give it all the time along with continuing to train with her and remember to have fun playing and bonding. You're a constant in her life and she doesn't think about you going away etc. so it's not that she doesn't like you more it's just that your roommate is fun and new.

Also I'd personally get rid of the being the alpha mentality. It isn't going to do anybody any favors. Train her and discipline her, let her know she has boundaries but I wouldn't worry about being the "top dog". She's your companion and with consitency you'll get the results you want.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I understand very much your sentiment. But dogs aren't built like us, they don't know how much work we personally put on them. My cousin lived with me for a while, and when I came home, my dog was sitting on a couch with my cousin, wouldn't even got off for a second to say hi to me after me being gone for work! And I was the one who walked him, trained him, prepared his meals. But, this is going to sound weird, everytime I knew my dog was in doubt or confused about something, he would literally look at for guidance. You're your dog's constant, your roomate is a source of entertainment for him. But in the end he'll come back to you. So just try and be confident about it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts