German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 7 month old working line puppy that I have been training, obedience, tracking and some bite work. Had X-rays done Friday to make sure he will be abled to continue with the sport as he gets older. Anyway, hips are classified as excellent and elbows are cleared.
But Friday evening he started limping on front leg. Possibly muscle, shoulder. What do I do to keep him busy but resting? Has been in crate and hand walked since Friday.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Have you discussed pano (panosteitis)with your vet as a possible cause? I believe it's self eliminating but very painful for dogs.

Did you get OFA prelims done?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Sorry, I just re-read your post. If he started limping on Friday - is he still limping today? You may want an x-ray to be certain, especially since your not sure what happened to cause the injury.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Friday after the Tranquilizer ***** off he started to limp. When talking to X-ray Tech I aked about any signs of Pano he said no. I’m thinking that them holding him still to get X-rays is what caused the soreness. No prelims just to see right now prelims maybe later. OFA at two. Have vet appointment tomorrow morning. But I know it will require more rest and I am stumped with what to do with his busy body and brain. Thank you for any suggestions

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I found a recent post about playing indoor games, we did some Hide and seek and he loved it but stopped when he got too excited. Also continuing ob. Like Fuss position. And Platz With little to no forward movement.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Did the puppy limp for the first time just after xray with sedation? My guess is that it's from positioning for the xray. If that's all it is, it shouldn't last long. Doesn't hurt to get the vet's opinion, esp if you're concerned. If it was for PennHIP (or possibly OFA?), my understanding is that soreness afterward is not unusual. (I don't have personal experience with this, but wanted to mention the possibility.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes he started limping after X-rays, I’m hoping it is just sore like you said. Seems to be getting better, as long as I still keep him quite.I will let you know tomorrow after vet appointment. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well just like we thought, soreness from getting X-rays. Because he was not completely knocked out he struggled when they were taking the elbow X-ray. He is doing much better, but I think we are going to give him more rest for the next couple days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts