German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 month old GSD has been pulling insanely. We've tried the Easy Walk harness, prong collar, and now the Gentle Leader.
The Gentle Leader has worked for about a week (with him trying to take it off every few minutes) but now it's scratched his lip flap (?) until it's raw and red. He still pulls and hates the Gentle Leader even MORE so than when we first got it. Everyone tells me he will get used to it and stop trying to take it off as much. It's the opposite with him! He stops every few seconds to take it off and refuses to walk and I have to tug at him. This probably caused the rawness on his lip flap. I'm going to sew some fleece as padding on the Gentle Leader strap, but are there any other suggestions?

Also, we've been through training and our trainer suggested all these aids, which have not worked so far. Please help!

·
Registered
629 Posts
A tool does not replace training. What methods have you tried for training loose leash walking?

·
Registered
525 Posts
My 7 month old pulled like crazy. I started stopping and making him sit and wait till I gave him the heal command. Every time he started pulling I would give him the heal command and if he didn't stop pulling I would make him sit again. It was a long process that first walk but he is now doing awesome and very rarely pulls.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried the stop and go as well, but we just end up taking two hours to walk a small street. And he STILL pulls. I've tried giving him treats by my knee so he stays there, but he isn't interested in the treats once we're outside. I've tried changing directions every time he pulls to "confuse" him so he has to stay by my side. He still pulls. I end up going around in circles.
He gets enough exercise each day, I take him out for an hour long walk in the morning. Then he gets one to two hours at the dog park (we walk there). Then he gets another half an hour walk/pee break. And to end the night, he gets an hour playing with other dogs in the park right behind our condo. I would think that's enough exercise :s

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
arrghhhh please help! My arm can't take it anymore :s

·
Registered
294 Posts
Look, this is probably bad advice for you, but it works if you are big enough...

I don't like that collar you are using for sure... But I have no clue what it is, I just don't like the description of the pain and discomfort on the dog... Also, PROPS DO NOT FIX PROBLEMS, TRAINING DOES.. Further if it is constant discomfort the tough little ba$T ards will learn to ignore it... Don't like it..

My way, I use the Ultimate Collar and Leash, not pumping them, just my choice, it is not a prong or a choke, but it does tighten and they do feel it. Now what I do, and if it works it will cure you on just a few walks.. Do it where no one is watching, but everytime he starts to pull, you give it a mighty YANK BACK... And say NO! That is if you are small. If large a medium to light yank and good yell NO! Then stop and make them say maybe 15 seconds, that is even more memorable as all they want is to GO!

He might do it 20 times the first walk, wear gloves, put your heart into it if you are little, medium light yank if you are big. The idea is to give him a little discomfort and make you the Pack Leader again. My guess, 20 times the first walk, ten times the second, two three four the third and then rarely. You are teaching him it does not pay to do it, he will figure that out on his own. Then you can refine it so he almost keeps a slack lead and will not pull you out into traffic or something..

Now the Leftist Obamanation sorts are going to think that you are being mean or cruel, so do this where no one is around to see it. Be forceful, and YELL NO! This should work for you. When it all comes down to it they are just excited, and think they are in charge. You have to assert yourself so HE is not walking YOU!!!

heh he, lone Ranger in Australia, I hope I have come to the "Rescue"
Out with horses on the Last Frontier

doing "Dances with Wolves" best I can... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Don't yank the leash... You can cause hefty damage to a pup's larynx and hurt the alignment in their neck. And call me a "leftist Obamanation" if you please, but if your animal has damage on to the neck from yanking, that is considered animal abuse. It's definitely not a good way to correct a pulling problem.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
train everyday and many times during the course
of a day. i like training in short sessions (5 to 10
each session) but i conduct many sessions during the
course of a day. i train inside and outside. i slowly add
distractions. i would consider another trainer.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My simple solution

Your dog seems pretty determined. But maybe it's just that he's gotten away with pulling so long that he's conditioned to disobey.

There have already been some great suggestions here. But here's one that I've had show improvement in the very first walk and, with reinforcement, with others that followed.

Firstly, put the dog on a training collar (choke collar) but dead-ring it tot he flat collar. The dog needs to know he's in training and the weight of the training collar will remind him.

Secondly, take the leash in your left hand and allow only about as much leash between your hand and the dog to allow the dog to walk comfortably at least were he to be at your side as in heeling.

Third, take the rest of the leash in your right hand leaving enough dangling to allow the leash to reach the ground. A six foot LEATHER leash is just about perfect for this.

Fourth, helicopter the least in front of the dog as he sits at your side so he knows what's coming when you command heel and take your first step. Keep up the helicoptering of the leash as long as the dog wants to pull ahead of your thigh and keep the dog close to your thigh with the left hand and short length of leash you've given him.

After his nose has been whacked a few times he'll start responding by avoiding the helicopter. He'll both cease pulling and sometimes try to pull away from you. Again, keep him close to your thigh.

I wouldn't employ this tactic at first on long walks. I'd just take two or three minutes in the backyard to get him accustomed to the possibility that the leash will be used in this fashion.

My Zeus pulled like crazy for about 3 months. When I started using the helicopter leash he stopped.

Nope, he doesn't like it. Tough. I didn't like being pulled over curbs and into traffic either.

LF

·
Registered
154 Posts
Great advice here... I've also found doing a good long game of fetch to burn off some energy BEFORE the walk has helped me with my pup (non-GSD, but darn I think she should be in pulling competitions!)

good luck, you'll find the best advice here for sure.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My 7 month old pulled like crazy. I started stopping and making him sit and wait till I gave him the heal command. Every time he started pulling I would give him the heal command and if he didn't stop pulling I would make him sit again. It was a long process that first walk but he is now doing awesome and very rarely pulls.

my suggestion ^^ try taking his favorite toy with you and use it to keep his focus on you so he doesn't pull toward other things. Penny has a rubber squirrel with a squeaker that could wake the dead. Keeps attention like a charm and was a great tool on walking etiquette

1 - 11 of 11 Posts