German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I hope that I’m just being overly cautious here. I’m really worried about Apollo this morning.

Normally in the mornings he is very exuberant and excited. This morning he is walking around slowly, laying around while I make lunches and breakfast (this has NEVER happened). I got his food ready this morning and he wanted nothing to do with it. I gave him one of his favorite treats and he spit it out on the floor. He ate a handful of shredded chicken but didn’t want anymore. He has drank a little water.

Obviously I don’t think he’s gokng to starve or anything but This is so unusual for him and honestly it’s kind of scaring me. I’m going to call the vet but it’s 5:40 AM here so they’re not going to open for awhile. Can anyone ease my mind in the mean time?

Also, nothing unusual last night. Dinner, walk, play, same stuff we do every day.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Sorry to read this; late night and early morning things like this always make me nervous. I don't have any suggestions, just a couple of questions: What's his usual elimination schedule? Has he peed and pooped yet? Does it look/smell the same? Can you look in his mouth to see if there's any redness or swelling? Run your hands over his body and see if there's anything that you can feel (e.g., bumps, swelling, distended tummy). If you know how to take a temp and can do that, by yourself, I'd see if he's running a fever. If you don't know how to take a temp, don't. Oh and you might want to collect a fecal sample now in case the vet needs it.

Good luck,

Aly

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to read this; late night and early morning things like this always make me nervous. I don't have any suggestions, just a couple of questions: What's his usual elimination schedule? Has he peed and pooped yet? Does it look/smell the same? Can you look in his mouth to see if there's any redness or swelling? Run your hands over his body and see if there's anything that you can feel (e.g., bumps, swelling, distended tummy). If you know how to take a temp and can do that, by yourself, I'd see if he's running a fever. If you don't know how to take a temp, don't. Oh and you might want to collect a fecal sample now in case the vet needs it.

Good luck,

Aly
He normally poops and pees in the morning and then poops again in the afternoon. He didn’t poop this morning but he did pee. There’s a poop in the yard from last night that I didn’t pick up(I was feeling lazy!) so I’ll pick that up and save it in case the vet needs it. I don’t see any redness or swelling in his mouth or any lumps or bumps anywhere. He let me touch and look at all of him which is also unusual- usually he gets kind of excited when I start petting him. He feels totally normal as far as I can tell. He is still wagging his tail and he followed me into the bathroom but he’s just laying down looking not at all like himself. I gave him another piece of chicken and he just looked at it. It makes me so nervous! Thank you so much for your advice here and things to look for.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Not at all; wish I could be more helpful. One more thing to suggest. Anytime a dog of mine goes off his food and the elimination pattern is different, I think about gas and/or possible blockage. So, raise that possibility when you call in. I'd also take a look at his bedding, toys, missing socks, etc. for possible evidence of eating inappropriate stuff.

Aly

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
If they get depressed I usually always take them in.

Any other thing like off food a bit but otherwise bright and playful or a bit of diarrhea but otherwise bright and playful and appetite is ok, I will wait it out or treat at home.

But if they are depressed like you describe we go, sometimes that's a fever or something that I can't just treat and see

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'd do what you're already planning....a Vet visit....you have the answers for some of the questions you'll be asked...can't go wrong with a poop sample IMO...whether needed or not.

Anything he may have gotten into during the night....licked...chewed.......cleaners...chemicals....scents....anything different you may have used around the house he could possibly have got access to...anything different in the yard or walking area... fertilizer-pesticide wise.... that you know of ?

·
Super Moderator
6,704 Posts
Does Apollo eat grass?My girl Misty gets in trouble when she eats long strands of grass instead of just nibbling shorter new grass.In her case high fiber and oil does the trick to get her to pass it.Whole wheat bread smeared with lots of butter/margarine.One slice every three hours or so.She'll have a little diarrhea several times at first as it takes effect and within 8-12 hours she'll pass it.
Disclaimer:If you aren't sure what's going on a vet visit is imperative!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, there were no apppintments available today at the vet so he’s going first thing tomorrow morning. They told me to just keep an eye on him and to keep offering him favorite foods.

I gave him a big glop of canned food which is his favorite thing ever... and he licked it and then walked away. I tried giving him some plain spaghetti noodles (which he usually loses his mind over) and he just sniffed them.

He’s wandering around inside but not in a normal way- he’s walking slowly and then he’s settling himself down and laying down (which is also really not normal!) he’s being super gentle with me and letting me feel all over him, and his ears are back almost constantly- normally they never are. Is that another sign he’s not feeling well?

His nose is cold and wet and he’s licking me and he got a little excited when we went outside and he’s wagging his tail.

I don’t think he’s eaten grass or anything out of the ordinary lately! He’s ususlly not outside by himself for any long length of time, and I watch him closely in the house. It’s possible though.

This is just so odd for him and it’s got me so worried!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Hmmm... My first thought is an obstruction. He’s clearly uncomfortable. If he doesn’t poop soon and he gets any worse, you should take him to an ER vet. Trust your gut. If you are really worried, there might not be time to wait for tomorrow. You don’t want to be kicking yourself in the morning for not taking him in sooner.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Just catching up and I agree with Pytheis, it sounds like a possible obstruction to me too. Whether he's pooped or not today, I'd take him to an ER now.

Aly

·
Super Moderator
5,913 Posts
Obstruction is what comes to mind too.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Since it's too late to edit my post, I just wanted to add that if it's an obstruction, it really can't wait.

When my puppy was sick with a semi-emergency, my vet clinic was willing to squeeze us in between appointments so that I wouldn't have to go to an emergency clinic during normal vet business hours. Would it be possible to call again and mention that you think it's an emergency and see if they can fit you in? They might be more willing if you stress the importance.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
THIS is literally what just happened to us this past weekend with Gandalf!!! Stopped eating or drinking and being lethargic! We even did an x ray to check for obstruction and nothing showed up... we really don't know what caused it. Does your boy get into things he shouldn't? Eat toys? Let me know what you find out im really curious... hope he feels better soon. Keep him hydrated most importantly, ice cubes, and bone broth.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On our way to the 24 hour vet. Thanks guys for giving me that little push to take him. I didn’t want to be overreacting but I don’t think I could sleep tonight worrying about him. I’ll update when we’re done at the vet

I want my happy energetic boy back!

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, the vet did a test for parvo and worms and both were negative. They also did an ultrasound on him and didn’t see any kind of obstruction or abnormal fluids. He got an anti nausea shot and some medicine and sensitive stomach food to take him. They said if he’s not better in the morning to follow up with our normal vet and get blood work and x rays done.

They also said he was acting more like a 13 year old GSD than a 7 month old one! He was refusing meaty treats and he just laid there and didn’t even pay attention to other barking dogs.

He is breaking my heart tonight! I just want him to feel better so badly. I hope the medicine helps.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts