German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My GSD Is 7 months but is frequently inactive. He is fully vaccinated, dewormed and disease free. I take him for long walks and he exercises well. But he still becomes inactive when in my Home compound. How can I make him active??
*note: he has a lot of toys to play with but doesn’t play it

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Why do you want him to become hyper in your home? Tons of people would kill for a dog that settles so beautifully in the house. It seems to me that he’s getting all the exercise and stimulation he needs and then he naps. Dogs sleep a lot. Puppies sleep even more.

If you’re dead set on getting him to do more in the house, simply take him for shorter walks so he still has leftover energy and play with him. Don’t expect him to play by himself. He should eventually build up stamina to be able to keep up, but he’s young now. Let him get all the rest he wants. It’s important.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Does he run around outside and get into everything? LOL
if so, I think by the time he gets in the house, he is probably pooped and just wants to chill and take a nap.

A fun game for the house is "hide the ball"
make him sit and go hide the ball..... then turn him loose....
after he understands the game and gets better at it ... you will be amazed at how difficult you can make it.... and he will always find it.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
You seem to be trying awfully hard on a couple of threads to make something that your dog isn't naturally. Just train and enjoy him and worry less about making him aggressive to strangers and "active" around the house. My dogs get lots of outdoor exercise but mostly lay quietly when in the house. Just the way I like it.

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
German Shepherds are dogs that want to interact with their humans, they don’t play alone very well.
Do you mean he’s hanging out in the yard? Absolutely normal. We are not active all the time, and neither should they be.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In another thread, you want him to be aggressive towards people and in this one you wonder why he is not active at home.
Your dog will only give back what you invest in him.
What he needs is training. Walking and exercising is not training. Could be that he has gotten used to and bored of walking.
Also, don’t over do the walking or exercising. When he looks visibly tired, stop. Wait a bit and start again.

If you want your dog to awaken, train him. Challenge him, as it was mentioned earlier. Allow him to think and problem solve. Place food or his favorite toys in certain areas within the perimeter of the compound. Take him and allow him to search and find them. This will give him something Challenging and fun to look forward to. All of this should be done by you.
Just a couple of ideas. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts