German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Juno limps on occasion (once a month I guess), always the same leg, right hind leg. She will lift up her paw and sort of stumble for about three steps and then things go back to normal. Funnily, she has only ever done this in the backyard.

Is this normal? I have checked her leg, there's no indication of pain, paw seems fine. She doesn't flinch or whimper when I squeeze gently. I do not think that there was an injury, not that I witnessed. Is she just pretending to get sympathy? I have heard that some birds will approach more dominant birds with a limp wing to communicate that they are not a threat, but this could just be an urban myth.

Also, she twerks sometimes. I do not know how else to describe this behaviour. She will be sitting and get up and walk away and sort of wriggle/ dance her hips in an up-and-down motion. Is this normal? I have only ever seen my puppy and a female Malinois do this. But I do not have a lot of experience with GSDs.

any advice would be appreciated :unsure:

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
Video of the twerk?

Reactions: JunoVonNarnia

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, I do not have one. She's only ever done it twice and for a few seconds at best. It's not like one those videos that you would see on "Animals/ Dogs doing things."

I am going to try to explain it a little better... almost like a camel with exaggerated hip rolling (I can't believe I just said that). A bit of lurching. Not dissimilar to when dogs scratch their belly with a hindpaw and walk at the same time? I tried looking for videos or explanations online but didn't find anything. A lot of "twerking dogs" look trained to me.

I think/ suspect maybe it's a just a stretch. She is shaking out her legs at the same time that she is taking a few steps, so it looks a bit comical. Maybe her legs fell asleep/ she's got pins and needles and is shaking it out?

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
lol. Hard to tell without seeing it. Have you tried putting her on a two or three week rest to see if that helps with her limping? I think people tend not to permit enough healing time when things seem minor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts