German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this phase was over!!! Oh man I look like I've been in wicked fight with a barbed wire fence. He won't let me sit down for a second and keeps lunging and nipping at my feet, legs, ankles etc. I keep hearing they turn into wonderful dogs but man when does this stop?
I will add when he calms he is a very sweet dog.
Thanks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Someone came by my store today asking me if I knew someone who wanted to adopt a sweet looking pit bull. I told her I'd look out for someone. Then she showed me her arms. I almost fell over. Never saw anything like that before. It looked just like you described. I felt awful for her. She said the pit was rescued from a fighting ring. She looked so sweet. After seeing that I feel your pain. I hope they have some answers for you here.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
What have you done in training and exercising him so far? There is no excuse for this behavior at this age. It won't go away wthout a ton of work.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
it stops when you train him not to nip/bite.

I thought this phase was over!!! Oh man I look like I've been in wicked fight with a barbed wire fence. He won't let me sit down for a second and keeps lunging and nipping at my feet, legs, ankles etc.

>>>>> I keep hearing they turn into wonderful dogs but man when does this stop?<<<<<

I will add when he calms he is a very sweet dog.
Thanks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
We put the stop to Riley's biting quick. Puppy or not he is not allowed to bite and nip at us. Sometime he will gently mouth us and we still reenforce the "no bite".

·
Registered
101 Posts
We put the stop to Riley's biting quick. Puppy or not he is not allowed to bite and nip at us. Sometime he will gently mouth us and we still reenforce the "no bite".
I think that's awesome. Can you share some of your successful techniques?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Our guy is 9 months old. He bites a little when he thinks its 'play time'. We always say no, but when he bites hard, or starts being an a-hole to us, that is when we stand up and take him outside for a time out. The last few times we did this, as soon as we stood up, he went tail between the legs to the door. He knew.

Its all about being persistent. Don't take no for an answer. You are the boss.

also avoid playing rough with the dog. They won't be able to tell the difference. ...I try to tell my wife this, but as you see in this video we just made last night, my wife has not learned that grabbing his face isn't going to calm him down. Hence why I'm laughing a little in the video. ...maybe its why our guy bites my wife more than anyone else.

either way, its not a big concern for us, and he doesn't do it all that often.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Penny just hit 7mo and had been a little more rowdy also. Chewing etc, not so much of a bite. Dont get frustrated, just stick to your training ways and be firm and consistent when enforcing the rules

1 - 8 of 8 Posts