German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband & I were sitting outside with our 7.5 month old male. He is not neutered. Lucas is well socialized & has a great trainer & he never behaved aggressively before so we were both puzzled as to why he decided to suddenly lunge & bark at a man that walked across our sidewalk. It was in the evening & the man walked very close behind my husbands chair on the way by. Lucas was in a sit stay at the time but jumped up & lunged. He was leashed so he didn't bite or make contact with the man. He didn't snap but it was a very loud, deep bark. What's going on with him? It's only been once but I want to make sure I address it immediately. Any thoughts on what would make him do this? Is it his age?

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think around 7/8 months, male dogs start to get territorial. At seven months, my rottie/shep mix starting barking at joggers. He was the sweetest thing on four paws to EVERYONE. But, man, did he bark at people on property. Of course, if they walked up to him, he licked them to death. LOL My male chow mix is like this. He's extremely submissive to other dogs/people EXCEPT on property. A golden retriever puts him in his place.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mine has a similar issue. He is neutered. Very friendly everywhere except in front of our house and on our street (it's a pretty short street) and it started around 7 months. We've been able to train him out of all other problems but still struggling with this one. "Look" & treat work some of the time, but not always.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts