German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was at the store yesterday and the bagger happened to be one of our former neighbors. As he was helping her out to the car he gets a bit nervous about our gsds sitting in the car. He then tells my wife that things have been getting really bad in the neighborhood and he had a break-in a week before.
He woke up at 2am because his two dogs, a female mix and a male gsd were barking and carrying on in his bedroom. Moments later he hears a crash and his alarm starts going off. He grabs his gun and starts to open the bedroom door. Both dogs push him out of the way and head down the hall. He starts down the hall just behind the dogs. He hears a snarl some muffled noises then nothing. He turns on the kitchen light and comes around the corner with his gun ready for anything but what he saw. A man already dead on his kitchen floor with a pool of blood quickly growing and his gsd standing over the man just waiting for the slightest movement from his lifeless body. The gsd had come around the corner and ripped out the man's throat before the burglar even had a chance to swing the the crow bar that was in his hand or pull the knife that was in his belt. The gsd has always been a family pet with just basic obedience and had never even done anything more than mouth when he was a puppy, this extreme action was shocking. The police came and decided it was a self defence situation and the dog was just acting on instinct. The police also pointed out that the man's intentions may have been more than just stealing the tv because he was bold enough to break in a door with dogs clearly barking, then proceed to enter the house even after the alarm was going off, and was carrying a very large hunting knife. The gsd must have sensed the danger because he went from family cuddle buddy to protector with out any hesitation. The gsd is back to being his normal self but it will take a little while for the family to get over the whole situation.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
wow! glad the robber got what was coming too him.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yes. The good news is that the guy will not be robbing anymore houses because......well....he is no longer a resident of Earth. I hope the media doesn't get a hold of this because you know darn well this dog will be "a danger to society" and put down. The world is becomming liberal.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Wow indeed! I'm glad the family and the dogs are ok. If the guy was carrying a hunter knife, the dog probably somehow sensed his murderous intents and that's why he did what he did.

Still... wow!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Wow!! Shocking! I hope the family does not fear their dog and understand he was protecting his family. The whole ordeal is traumatizing. The burglar had a crowbar and a knife so the dog put him down before he could harm his family. I hope he is not labeled as a "dangerous dog".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are a couple hours out from any major media outlets in a small city in a predominantly rural county in TN so the media doesn't cover much of what happens here. I'm from Chicago so my first question was did they seize the dog followed by is anyone suing, fortunately the answer is no to both questions so far.
The whole family is just traumatized by the whole thing. While they appreciate the dog protecting them they are having a hard time treating him like normal after seeing him violently kill someone. I think it will just take some time.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I hope they can understand the dog was protecting them and there is no telling what would have happened if their dog had not reacted so quickly.

Good for the dog!! I would have bought him a steak dinner the next night!

·
5,627 Posts
The whole family is just traumatized by the whole thing. While they appreciate the dog protecting them they are having a hard time treating him like normal after seeing him violently kill someone. I think it will just take some time.
I think I would be having a hard time with it too. While I am glad the family was not hurt, ripping the guy's throat out (I cringed just typing it) seems pretty excessive. Not that you can explain that to an animal.

I hope the family is able to heal quickly.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Did he actually "rip the guy's throat out" or did he happen to puncture the carotid when he bit? A person will die VERY quickly if they have a hole in the carotid.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Did he actually "rip the guy's throat out" or did he happen to puncture the carotid when he bit? A person will die VERY quickly if they have a hole in the carotid.
This is what I was thinking it happened too.

I'm glad they're trying to label the dog as aggressive or not suing the family!
I'm not very familiar with the US system as I don't live there, but can anyone sue another person after some time has passed or is it only immediate action?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can't say for sure as I didn't look at the guy. It was described to me that way but the guy was horrified and there was a lot of blood so things can look different to a calm person or medical professional.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If this is a true story.IMO Perssonaly if one of my dogs. Did that I would be so proud of them. Its terrible the man lost his life but he had nothing but bad intintions toward that family. He did what he was breed for he protetied his family. If only we all had dogs that would do that.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Glad the family and the dog were ok!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah, if it's true, then the dog deserves a medal or at least a nice big steak. Who cares if the burglar died? Just another waste of space deleted. Anyways, he was stupid for breaking into a house that had dogs. If i were a burglar, i would choose a house that was dogless. Glad the dog did his job, we all should be so lucky. Also glad the only one that got hurt, got his just desserts.:D

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Its terrible the man lost his life but he had nothing but bad intintions toward that family
this could make me sounds awful, but im glad he's dead. if that GSD didn't kill him, tomorrow night he'd be robbing/murdering another innocent family. rot in **** buddy :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts