German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6mo Black and Tan Kaiser has a saddle the seems to be fading very quickly — 10 days ago there wasn’t any tan in his over coat now he’s grown huge red/tan Is this normal? Will his saddle return or do you think he’ll be faded? He is on BB LBP food and has been for about a month. Before than I cooked most of his food (rice, carrots, celery, chicken, blueberries, strawberries, oats, coconut oil, etc). He has also been on a cosequin supplement since 10 wks. This is my first gsd puppy, I thought he was just about done with his drastic color changes but maybe I was wrong. He is 6 months old today, 9/11. Un-neutered, and exercises daily. Pics below ofc

Also, do you think he’s more of a black/tan or a black/red?

These are taken 9/10/20
AF6E5384-8119-430E-A01E-EE1649B65DF2.jpeg

9/3

this on 9/1
755DF2C2-2695-4928-B929-E0FFE54FF040.jpeg

This one is 8/20

7/20

7/6
7/6/20

When I got him at 7 weeks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
This is how the breed is. Very dark at birth, and depending on what the adult color pattern is, will change over time to reach that adult coat. Your breeder should be able to answer these questions for you, as they have the sire and dam and know what the final coat will be.

·
Super Moderator
7,906 Posts
he’s black and tan... his colors will continue to change well past 6 months. i would not expect his dark saddle to return unless the sudden exposure of tan was a result of shedding or over grooming.

why is he on cosequin?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he’s black and tan... his colors will continue to change well past 6 months. i would not expect his dark saddle to return unless the sudden exposure of tan was a result of shedding or over grooming.

why is he on cosequin?
He in on supplements because the vet recommended them for his joints due to his growth rate. (He’s 65lbs now, was 50 at his last vet visit 1 month ago.) I just check the bottle, I wrote the wrong thing in my post. The label of his supplement reads, “GCM 2X™ is formulated with glucosamine hydrochloride, chondroitin sulfate, and manganese. It supports and maintains the health of your dog's joints. It also inhibits the enzymes that break down the structure of the cartilage in the joints, etc.” So it’s not cosequin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

why is he on cosequin?
Should I follow the vets advice, or should he not be on this kind of supplement?

·
Registered
31,797 Posts
Sounds like he is just blowing his puppy coat. Black/tans typically fade out the black as they mature. Joint supplements are controversial. Some vets recommend them. Some vets agree that there is no scientific backing to show that glucosamine and chondroitin do anything. It' really up to you and I don't think there is a wrong answer. It doesn't hurt but it probably doesn't do anything either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My girl is only actually black on her ribs. It's pretty common on the saddle back pattern.
Thanks, that’s good to hear! When you say on her ribs, do you mean she only has black on her sides that doesn’t cross her back (like two patches and a kind of ‘bitch stripe’ in the middle)? Or that she is black all the way around her torso, it just stops where her ribs end (like a smaller saddle)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like he is just blowing his puppy coat. Black/tans typically fade out the black as they mature. Joint supplements are controversial. Some vets recommend them. Some vets agree that there is no scientific backing to show that glucosamine and chondroitin do anything. It' really up to you and I don't think there is a wrong answer. It doesn't hurt but it probably doesn't do anything either.
Got it. I can’t say I’ve noticed any effect from the joint supplements or that I’ve read any literature on the subject, but given his activity level, how much he loves to jump and run, and the high chance of hip & elbow dysplasia I figured that it couldn’t hurt. ( I was planning to get his OFA X-Rays once he’s old enough.)

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Thanks, that’s good to hear! When you say on her ribs, do you mean she only has black on her sides that doesn’t cross her back (like two patches and a kind of ‘bitch stripe’ in the middle)? Or that she is black all the way around her torso, it just stops where her ribs end (like a smaller saddle)?
Noticeable bitch stripe, black on her sides. They should call them saddle bags not saddle backs. Lol.
If she wakes up soon I will try to get a picture for you. It's really common.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
One of my dogs (black and tan) went from this at 8 weeks:

To this at 1 year, 3 mo:

To this at maturity!

Faded pigment is only a problem if you are planning to show. The breed standard says dark pigment is preferred.

I asked an experienced breeder how to tell if a pup was going to have good pigment as an adult, because they ALL change colour as they grow. She said, the nails should look like they've been dipped in really black ink. Star's certainly didn't - some of the nails on the hind feet were white or partially white though the white patches on her toes did get less noticeable as she matured.

·
Registered
9,777 Posts
A raw diet supplemented with Feedsentials, plus Carmen’s other supplements, will bring out the best pigment in their coats, but pigment is genetic and you only get what was programmed to be there in the first place. Over the years their coloring does change, especially as they get older.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys, thanks for the input and convo! I was assuming he’d have a full saddle, but it looks like he’ll have more tan over his back (his patch has grown even more). I was hoping he’d be show quality, both his fam and sire were full saddles, but we’ll just see how he goes. 😊😊

·
Super Moderator
7,906 Posts
Ok guys, thanks for the input and convo! I was assuming he’d have a full saddle, but it looks like he’ll have more tan over his back (his patch has grown even more). I was hoping he’d be show quality, both his fam and sire were full saddles, but we’ll just see how he goes. 😊😊
did you purchase him as show quality? he looks to be a mix of lines...
photos of parents?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts