German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached pictures are the difference between his hips when we discovered his HD, and this week's check up when he was neutered.

At 6M (LEFT) he was only being xrayed because we suspected pano, but the vets decided to check his hips anyway so that's why it's not your standard 'straight' hips and legs.

The 15M (RIGHT) one was taken this week. Vet says they look OKAY, not the worst hips she's ever seen and he could live an okay quality of life with these hips, however, it would be up to us if we decided we needed an expert's second opinion whether or not we think he should get a total hip replacement? Just because he would be about the right age to do this and recover well. But I don't want to put him through all of that if these hips may be decent and he could continue to be happy and live unhindered by his hips for his natural life.

I totally understand it all depends on many other factors, but just curious what you guys would do if this was your own pup :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Shallow sockets. I would get a second opinion to cover your basis.... but after successfully managing much worse hips than these - personally, I’d be hard pressed to do hip replacement on these. But you’re right... lots of other factors come into play. Ultimately adequan, springtime longevity and ample access to swimming is what kept my girl going for 13years. Her joints pretty much looked like a cauliflower head (bone spurs) fused into the socket, yet she swam and hiked into her final year.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Does it seem to bother him now? It's possible it can later in life, but I would be hard pressed to do a major surgery if it's not going to impact him much. Especially if the vet thinks he can live a relatively normal life, I wouldn't want to make him go through that. If it requires a slight lifestyle change, I would do that over a THR or FHO.

I've been advised to use Dasuquin (probably spelt wrong) with MSM for joints. It's good for arthritic dogs. Water "therapy" is also a good exercise for joints. My girl's hips are relatively okay (last we checked at 8 months, may submit OFA prelims next week) and we do lots of swimming.

Can you financially afford the surgery? I know both options aren't cheap.

I do think, however, a second opinion could never hurt. I would just make sure the second opinion comes from a vet that isn't seeking to rake in all the cash s/he can.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts