German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonderful reporting on the elite dogs in our military with some good factual information in terms of type dogs, uses, and requirements to be successful for this vocation. As a German Shepherder person it saddens me, but was not surprising at all. The good thing is sometimes it takes reporting like 60 minutes to open up the eyes of many of our breeders. To that I say Thanks!

·
Registered
27,243 Posts

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
I think it is a worthy business. Former Navy Seal and the guy has a heart, not a show-boater.
He also takes retired military dogs for placement as K9 LE's or will place them in a forever home. I didn't get the feeling he is in it for the $ or ego boost.

Well spoken in the interview and you could tell he didn't see the dogs as equipment or tools, but as a partner to be utilized with the talents of a good K9.
Are you able to view the segment x11? Hopefully it will be on Hulu

·
Registered
16,649 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I just watched the show thanks to your post. Molly even watched part of it, she's in a small pen in our living room recovering from surgery. The Sheriff in my county uses the Malinois also.

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
CBS morning news is doing a segment/ interview with Mike Ritland this morning.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great 60 minutes episode. Gsd's are the very best protection. I have a warning sign at my home: "warning this property is guarded by the german shepherd protection service." I want a sign that says "hey thugs, yeah, come on in, i have a surprise for you!"

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately, the segment on the elite protection dogs clearly indicated that the Belgian Malinois is found to be superior these days by the military. Many of us that work in LE are aware of this being the trend for quite some time. The legacy of the GS and the reality of today's breed are very much different for the most part.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
It was a good show.

My worry is that the Malinois will become what the Doberman was in the 70's, the Rottweiler was in the 80's, and the Pit Bull is today... a breed that is sought after by bad people for the wrong reasons, and bred indiscriminately by byb's to make a buck... I foresee lots of poorly-bred, unstable Mals running the streets, ending up in shelters, biting people, and getting a bad name.

I dearly hope that this does not happen. It's really up to the breeders to be extremely careful who they sell to, and it's up to all dog-savvy people to educate the general public about this breed. They are a fantastic working dog and belong in the hands of knowledgable, responsible people who have a job for them. I would hate to see this breed get ruined!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
It was a good show.

My worry is that the Malinois will become what the Doberman was in the 70's, the Rottweiler was in the 80's, and the Pit Bull is today... a breed that is sought after by bad people for the wrong reasons, and bred indiscriminately by byb's to make a buck... I foresee lots of poorly-bred, unstable Mals running the streets, ending up in shelters, biting people, and getting a bad name.

I dearly hope that this does not happen. It's really up to the breeders to be extremely careful who they sell to, and it's up to all dog-savvy people to educate the general public about this breed. They are a fantastic working dog and belong in the hands of knowledgable, responsible people who have a job for them. I would hate to see this breed get ruined!

Unfortunately it's already happening. After the seal team stuff and pits getting harder to rescue and breed regulation and all. In some bad neighborhoods in LA you're already seeing GSD's and such. Pits are fading out:(. You know they are not coming from stable dogs either.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I personally think that Mals are being used more because of their size and less because its getting harder to find good GSDs. If the military wanted, they could breed GSD and make them exactly what they want. A mal is smaller, easier to carry, cheaper to maintain (less food), and yes, quite driven. But I've also seen Mals that are less driven than my boy and after speaking with the owner was surprised to find out that there is also a show/working division in that breed.

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
I personally think that Mals are being used more because of their size and less because its getting harder to find good GSDs. If the military wanted, they could breed GSD and make them exactly what they want. A mal is smaller, easier to carry, cheaper to maintain (less food), and yes, quite driven. But I've also seen Mals that are less driven than my boy and after speaking with the owner was surprised to find out that there is also a show/working division in that breed.
I've seen some SL's and they are a bit on the nervy side, won't leave their handlers side or get very anxious when they have to do something independently.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
This^ Plus I'm still seeing a lot of GSD's in both LE and military.
True there still are a lot of GSDs, a local police department just got two new LE dogs and they were both GSD. They didn't even consider Mals (our club donated towards the purchase price).

I'd guess that being a smaller dog there are just a lot less issues...less hip problems, dog is full size much faster so it can be used much faster (I know GSDs grow fast but not nearly as fast as Mals to get to their adult weight), I bet they have longer life spans and therefor can work for more years. Financially speaking its probably a better decision. I think many police departments will take time switching because many of their trainers are so used to working with GSDs that they probably will not want to relearn how to deal with Mals and the intricacies of training that breed.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe what the man on sixty minutes said, I believe what I see today and that is the third most popular breed in world can no longer consistently supply LE/military with good dogs. Size has very little to do with why these agencies don't use GS as much as Mali's. it's the ability to work under stress and health issues. Ask anyone that trained military or police dogs why the Mali is becoming used so much. Why is German police and military using Malinois....surely it is not because they don't have available German Shepherds in Germany. For some it is hard to acknowledge what the breed has become, but for people like police/military, they don't deal in wishes and fishes, they want the best working animal they can get .....simple as that. I know one of the breeding kennels that provides the military many of their dogs, Mike Suttle of Loganhaus kennels. He breeds GS and Malinois for military uses. He KNOWS why the military has relied more on Malis than GS these days.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts