German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Probably my first post in 4 years, which is a testament to (with the addition of help from some on here) the fact I raised a well behaved, disciplined dog.

About 6 months ago, Cash (6 Year old male/neutered at age 1) peed on the carpet right in front of our couch. It was an odd spot because it wasn't like he was hiding it. He hadn't peed in the house since he was 12 weeks old, was a breeze to house train, and to my knowledge this was his first time doing it since then.

I cleaned it up, used enzyme cleaner and the steam cleaner, dried it and thought it was done. The next night, same thing happened, right in same spot. I cleaned again, next night same thing in same spot. Eventually we moved the coffee table over when we were gone (he never did it with us in the room) and the behavior stopped. That is until I steam cleaned the whole living room carpet about 3 months ago (using home steam cleaner). When I was carrying the dirty water after it was full to the utility sink in laundry room, a little bit dribbled on the kitchen wood floor. Low and behold, he walked right up, peed right on top of the dribbled dirty water, to which I blew up on him and put him outside.

Fast forward to yesterday. We had the whole house professionally steam cleaned. The carpets were slightly damp after word and we were wearing the little bootie things. Low and behold, at some point he walked into the kitchen and peed right next to where we had our garbage bag out ready to transfer to can in garage.

I guess my question is two fold. One, I'm interested in the behavior causing this. I think it is obvious that he's marking territory. My hypothesis was originally he peed next to the couch because that night I wore my shoes in the house and was sitting in that spot after being in the yard. I was guessing I stepped in animal urine or something outside and tracked in the scent. Once he marked...and it was cleaned...he continued to mark. He has always been HUGE on marking territory...but it has always been outside so it was never a big deal.

Next question...any tips on how else to deter future behavior? The carpets have been professionally cleaned and deodorized so I've went that route. It almost seems like the steam cleaning is what is causing the problem...almost like it is pulling up old animal scents that he's instinctually acting on. Thanks for ideas.
~Jeff

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you taken him to the vet to check for an UTI or kidney issues?
No because due to the pattern it just doesn't seem like any medical issue. He will go 8 hours indoors without having to go and it isn't like he's randomly doing it daily. It's been a total of 5 to 10 times over the course of 6 months and seems specifically related to marking behavior. It's almost like his instinct to mark supersedes what he knows is right.

Thanks though. I will mention it at his checkup in June ...and if it got worse I would certainly take him in.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Have you had any other animals in the house, or has any member of the household been in contact with other animals outside the home?

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Yes maybe a dog visitor left behind a calling card. I find pure vinegar works well. I noticed when potty training my pup never went in the same spot. Always doused with vinegegar then something good smelling!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you had any other animals in the house, or has any member of the household been in contact with other animals outside the home?
Thanks for the reply. Nothing more than maybe being in someone else's house, petting their dog, and then coming back home. What I mean is, no real distinct change where we have been around other animals more than we ever have.

When I come home sometimes he'll pee next to my Jeep tires or my wifes tires (in the garage!) I'm assuming due to roadkill we've driven through. Like I said, he's always been big on marking territory...just not in the house. I'm wondering if as he's getting older he's becoming more dominant.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I had a dominant male who was intact and had never urinated in the house. I don't think that is it. I do think you are right with the steaming of the carpets. I think it is bringing up old pet scents and that might be the issue. You can try vinegar I don't know if it helps with old scents but I swear by it-White distilled vinegar.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a dominant male who was intact and had never urinated in the house. I don't think that is it. I do think you are right with the steaming of the carpets. I think it is bringing up old pet scents and that might be the issue. You can try vinegar I don't know if it helps with old scents but I swear by it-White distilled vinegar.
I think I'll try the vinegar on the spot if he decides to pee again. Since I posted this we haven't had any issues. Keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any changes in the household or daily routine?--new baby or family members, new pets?
Just the carpet cleaning...and the carpet cleaning guys being in the house which he didn't particularly like. I was in the basement with him while they were here not because I felt like he would go after them...but for their peace of mind. People that come in the house are always more comfortable with him in another room. He's pretty large (around 95lbs).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sounds like it is related to the steam cleaning. Perhaps it is is the opposite of new old smells...perhaps they're wiping out all scents completely--his and yours. Honestly, I don't think old scents could be 'brought back.' I think a dog with a good nose would have picked up on any old animal scents long ago.

I'm thinking to the idea that those cleaners earned the money you paid and did TOO good of a job for your dogs liking. Now all your stuff is scentless! "Oh no! Now if some other dogs or people came strutting through the house, they might try to claim the unclaimed scentless stuff! There is no time to try rubbing all over everything...high alert everyone! Defcon-1! Pee on anything valuable quickly! I repeat, defcon-1!"

Sooo yea...perhaps stop with the steam cleaning. Or else you'll have to start peeing on stuff if you don't want him to. :p

It's also probably annoying the heck out of him that everything keeps having the scent removed. He probably could before navigate the house blindfolded with no problems by the scents of everything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts