German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Timber,
Are you always so confrontational with people??? You have no idea if this lady is telling the truth or not. You weren't there!!! It's not nice to call names. Didn't your mother ever teach you that?? I have not been on the boards long but I cringe when I read your posts. Could you try to be nice and offer constructive criticism? or better yet, offer good advice when it is asked for and don't post if you are just going to be rude to other members.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Originally Posted By: Timber1Sorry, but are you a troll. Regarding the dog park you were at, there is no way on earth 6 of 7 GSD's you saw were overly aggressive.

I am not a big fan of dog parks, but take my German Shepherd rescues to them, because the rescue group I work with is afraid they will run away and the park is fenced. These rescue German Shepherds have never even encountered a situation like you describe, nor been violent.

I would like to follow up, so what is the name of the dog park you were at.

On my end my recues go to a fenced dog park in Grafton, WI.

Quit the BS
Well didn't somebody wake up on the wrong side of the doghouse this morning!

I don't think the OP stated that he/she saw them all at the park on the same day.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Timber1 is always like that. He doesn't have a warm and fuzzy internet personality.

I do think gsds have a different play style than most other breeds. THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS but overall they tend to be louder and rougher in their play. This is often interpreted by people who don't know the breed as aggression.

We had a group that met at the dog park. If we had too many together we had to watch them because they would pack up and start picking on the labs. I kid you not! We would be yelling, "Shepherds, get over here and behave yourselves!" Seriously, we would often have to put them on leashes and move to another area of the park.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i've never had a dog aggressive GSD. all of mine were very friendly.they were around joggers, horses, dogs, cats adults and children. it's not the breed, it's the owners fault for allowing they're dogs to get that way. sounds like these dogs shouldn't been in the dog park. were they aggressive towards other dogs??? socialize your pup, get him in puppy classes. take him everywhere, let him learn the enviroment. socialize, socialize, and more socializing plus training that is key.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
"I go to the dog park often and I've seen 7 adult gsds and 6 of them were dog aggressive."

The above is the first sentence of the original post. I simply cannot believe that over 85 percent of the German Shepherds this person mentioned were dog aggressive.

As I said, I do take my rescue GSD's because the park is fenced, and neither my rescues nor any of the Shepherds there have ever been dog aggressive.

So 6 of 7 aggressive GSD's, don't believe it, and would appreciate it if the original poster would provide the name of the dog park where some much aggression apparently occurs.

Most dog parks in my area, would not allow so many aggressive dogs.

·
Registered
979 Posts
My mother's next door neighbor has 3 GSD's and all 3 are aggressive. Two have bitten other dogs and one bit a kid in the neighborhood. There are 2 other GSD's in my town of 5000 that are dog aggressive also. They are walked daily by a nice older gentleman that always has them muzzled. I asked him why and he said "They love people but don't get along with other dogs".

I do believe that it is the owner's fault that these dogs are aggressive either to people or other animals. I am not faulting the dogs at all. I think that too many people get GSD's because they want a "protection dog" and they do not socialize enough with their pet. Getting a dog for protection is not an intelligent decision in my opinion. An alarm is for protection. A dog is for companionship. A friend for life.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
No response from you, which is what I expected. And, please don't bring my mother into it, because this great lady has been dead for 20 years.

And yes, I confront stupid humans, but always back up my statements.

For example, unlike you, I would never criticize your parents.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have yet to meet a dog-aggressive GSD, and I have met quite a number of GSDs. I have met many small dog-aggressive breeds though, and it's usually handler error.

My suggestion is to avoid the dog park, especially since your puppy is only 4 months old. As others have mentioned, there are better, safer places to socialize your little one. A bad incident could turn your puppy dog-aggressive too, or worse, be badly injured.

And can't everyone play nice? :eek:) It's for the dogs, yes? Timber1 has never struck me as anything but a nice person.

Happy Tuesday, everyone.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Originally Posted By: ShellyGMy mother's next door neighbor has 3 GSD's and all 3 are aggressive. Two have bitten other dogs and one bit a kid in the neighborhood. There are 2 other GSD's in my town of 5000 that are dog aggressive also. They are walked daily by a nice older gentleman that always has them muzzled. I asked him why and he said "They love people but don't get along with other dogs".

I do believe that it is the owner's fault that these dogs are aggressive either to people or other animals. I am not faulting the dogs at all. I think that too many people get GSD's because they want a "protection dog" and they do not socialize enough with their pet. Getting a dog for protection is not an intelligent decision in my opinion. An alarm is for protection. A dog is for companionship. A friend for life.
Even if you were of the mindset of getting a protection dog, these dogs are aggressive and not true protection animals. Protection animals should be under firm control of their handler, and it sure does not sound like your mom's neighbor has much control at all.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I think she's saying people get them for protection-not for PPD usage. Two different things. One is me saying ooooh, it's dark at night, I think I'll get a GSD and then I won't be scared, the second is, I want to have a dog to protect me, and then I train the heck out of it to become a PPD.

In rescue, have seen dog aggressive GSDs, I have seen dogs who want to be dog aggressive GSDs and achieve that because they are allowed to, I have seen dog reactive/fear aggressive GSDs and a lot of it depends on who has the leash at the time.

I see it in other breeds as well, and certain breeds (many terriers-often small dogs-as one example, Akitas as another) are supposed to be dog aggressive according to their standard.

"Not MY baby..."
and off they go to the dog park, to crap up some other dog's life. Make some well behaved dog friends and let dogs enjoy those pals is how I would work it.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Originally Posted By: phgsdIt's a vicious cycle. Aggressive dogs are brought to the dog park (of any breed), will go after a young dog or pup who ends up becoming dog aggressive him or herself as an adult.
I think this is what happened to Heidi. When she was younger, we used to go to the local dog park (before I joined this board). I thought it was a good way to get her socialized with other dogs. Unfortunately, she got "beat up" a few times - by a lab, if I remember correctly. She doesn't do well with other dogs, although she doesn't have much opportunity to be around other dogs at this point in time.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Just stay away from the dog parks, I won't ever take my puppy to a dog park even as an adult. Only dogs my dog socialize with are dogs and owners I know. Too many people bring their unsocialized dogs to the park to try to socialize them when they are too old. They run around in packs and attack new dogs when they enter the "arena". And owners of aggresive dogs make excuses like "Oh sometimes the dogs will try to take down a new dog to put it in its place". Also there is no supervision so if a dog gets aggressive the owner has to remove the dog, but no one is there to make them do it.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Thanks for the comments. Shelly does make some good points.

I do believe that if you have an European GSD, you need to work with the dog so he/she is not aggressive.

The six of seven comment I doubt, and of course the original poster never provided the name of the dog park.

I am not a big fan of dog parks, but because my rescue group is so concerned the dogs will run, I do take them to a fenced in park, as I mentioned in Grafton, WI.

As for Shelly, is it possible she meant three shepherds and they are all aggressive. Absolutely, but then look at the owners, and how much time they devote to their dogs.

Most faithful, loyal and protective dog on the planet; the GSD.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts