German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to the dog park often and I've seen 7 adult gsds and 6 of them were dog aggressive. Once 2 gsds saw my pup they just wanted to kill him. They made this loud, aggressive sounding sort of whining sound because their owners would not let them come close to my pup. It was a family of 2 gsds and they both were wearing muzzles. Another time a gsd attacked my pup, I'm not sure why and there were 3 other times where I 3 gsd owners told me not to take my pup near theirs. Only one gsd i've seen so far have been dog friendly and he was only 11 months. I have my own gsd pup, i dont want him to be like the rest of them. Now my parents think he might become dog aggressive too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and why does my 4 month pup growl when he plays? The other owners say that he's talking to the other dog but I didn't see anyother dog growl when they play.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have never had a dog agressive GSD and I am going on numbers 4 and 5. I think they didn't socialize their dogs when they were younger? And or something happened socially to make them this way?
All my pups growled when they were little and playing. And they still play growled when they got older but it wasn't a terrible I'm gonna kill you growl, more like I am having fun growl.
Can you find a more dog friendly place for your pup to play?

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
In my opinion, you should probably stop going to this particular dog park. It seems that any benefits you and your dog may gain from socializing at this place is being outweighed by the risks posed by ignorant owners and their aggressive dogs.

Especially since your pup is only four months old, you don't want him to have bad experiences being around other dogs. Getting attacked is a bad experience. That's exactly the kind of thing that can make a dog aggressive toward other dogs - at which point the whole idea of "socializing" your dog with others at the park is just moot.

There are plenty of good, other ways to socialize a young dog with other dogs. Have "play dates" with people whose dogs you know and trust, and who are social and well behaved. Small groups are usually better than large groups, too, so your pup won't get overwhelmed by a pack of dogs mobbing him.

Another great way to socialize is taking your dog to places where other dogs are while he is leashed, and teaching him to pay attention to you and just be calm and well-behaved around other dogs. Pet stores are pretty good for this, as long as you're prepared to tell other dog owners that you don't appreciate it when they just let their dog run up to yours without asking.

Growling is pretty normal behavior during play, especially when a dog gets really "into" the game. Most dogs also have play fights where they growl, bite at each other, and chase.

There's a very good book by Brenda Aloff called "Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide" that shows dogs interacting during play, which looks very much like fighting and attacking. It's important to learn to tell the difference between the two and know when dogs are acting aggressive, and when they're just having fun.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
My 5 month old pup makes a sound like you described when she wants to go near another dog, but in her case it is not aggression- she just is frustrated because she wants to see them and is being prevented by the leash. She can work herself into a frenzy, but when we do meet the other dog it's all good. But apparently if the owners are telling you not to approach their dogs then that's not the case.
Many people also mistake my Gentle Leader for a muzzle- so they see my pup who they think is muzzled, acting like she'd snap the leash if she could to get to the other dog, and they naturally think she's got evil on her mind. She's just a social butterfly with not-so- good-yet impulse control. Not to say that's what is happening here, because the owners would not be telling you not to approach with your pup.
Good luck, I hope you find a better socialization situation.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Historian gave some good advice.

Why on earth people take dog aggressive dogs to dog parks is beyond me, but I've seen it too.

I have two GSD's and one is VERY dog friendly and the other is not. The one that isn't was rescued as an adult, was a "backyard dog" with no socialization and may be so set in her ways there's no turning back. I continue to work with her with little results, not at a dog park though! I imagine she is dog aggressive more because her dominate nature and her lack of socialization rather than because she is a GSD.

I would socialize your puppy with dog-friendly dogs and avoid the ones that are not as your pup is young and impressionable. You don't want him thinking every dog he comes across is going to eat him.

·
Registered
964 Posts
If you keep taking your pup to this dog park he too will be dog aggressive.

·
Registered
561 Posts
2gsd with muzzles? i would tell the owner to remove his dogs from the park.
you do not bring aggressive dogs to a dog park,i'm sorry but that is the most stupid thing you can do.
i would look somewhere else to go,or talk to someone in charge of the dog park regarding aggressive dogs.
7 gsd in one park?
i never see that many gsd anywhere!
but when i do see a gsd,i have no problem.
i don't think your pup will become aggressive.
i would socialize him as much as i can,very important at his age.
good luck.

·
Registered
648 Posts
GSD's are strong willed and assertive. That's one of the reasons I like the breed. Owners need to be the same. Strong willed and assertive does not mean 'dog aggressive' in dogs anymore than it means 'people aggressive' in humans. In my opinion, socialization at an early age is crucial for a dog to learn how to meet new dogs and be met by new dogs. Exposing your dog to aggressive dogs at an early age leaves quite an imprint on it's reaction to new dogs. I would suggest socialization with friendly dogs. Dog parks are not the best place to go since there are too many uncontrolled dogs that don't know how to behave.

The fact that there are so many GSD's in society make the odds of running into aggressive GS's higher.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
It's a vicious cycle. Aggressive dogs are brought to the dog park (of any breed), will go after a young dog or pup who ends up becoming dog aggressive him or herself as an adult.

Stay away from dog parks, if your pup has already been attacked once that is a huge setback. You really can't let it happen again - he has to trust that you'll keep him safe from other dogs!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't know much about it but I know that some dogs have poor social skills and their "rudeness" sets other dogs off... If I were you I would have someone that knows a lot about this observe your dog and make sure he is not doing something to set off the other dogs and make them seem aggressive. It sounds like it's not your dog if 2 are already wearing muzzles. I only say this because I recently I had one of my older dogs out in public that is not aggressive and we were approached by an owner with a young dog that was jumping all over and pulling towards us. I asked the owner to please stay away from my dog because I know he will only let a young dog jump on him for so long until he will react to tell the pup to quit it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Originally Posted By: Historian

Getting attacked is a bad experience. That's exactly the kind of thing that can make a dog aggressive toward other dogs - at which point the whole idea of "socializing" your dog with others at the park is just moot.
Take this advice. I'm dealing with a 5 month old 50lb GSD who has dog aggression issues due to a bad experience.
It is not easy, it is not fun.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I have never been to the dog park with you, and generally avoid them. But sometimes I wonder what folks mean by a dog being aggressive.

My GSD generally plays with a Dobie, Chow, my ex adopted, a few labs, a Hurricane Katrina rescue and a Mastiff. This all takes place in my yard and for most observers they get a bit violent. For example, they will grab each other around the neck, and pin the another dog down.

However, without exception, regardless of breed, they know when to let go.

If a visitor comes over and watches they think the dogs are trying to kill each other. However, the dogs love playing rough, and after two years we have never had a violent fight.

As for the German Shepherds and your pup. First, assuming your comments are accurate, the GSD owners should probably start with pet rocks. The dogs are going to bark, whine and then sniff. Once the sniffing starts they would be fine with your pup.

Most importantly, under no circumstances should a GSD, or any other dog that has to be muzzled ever be taken to a dog park.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Uninformed owners and unsocialized dogs.

Take your puppy to puppy classes, not the park.

Stop labeling the GSD as an agressive dog. It's the owners fault.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Originally Posted By: wrennyUninformed owners and unsocialized dogs.

Take your puppy to puppy classes, not the park.

Stop labeling the GSD as an agressive dog. It's the owners fault.

I agree!!! I have never had a GSD that was dog aggressive, and I have had a few in my life time

·
Registered
65 Posts
Over the span of 40 years, going on my 4th GSD, I agree with others that it is a matter of socialization and learning to handle this breed.
I have seen some pretty aggressive small breeds too, so it is not something that is seen only in GSD's that are not properly handled and trained.

I attempted to go to a dog park, not to let my dog IN the park with the others, but to just sit outside and teach her to observe and remain calm around other dogs. Even that was a mistake, as people would open their car doors and just let their dogs out, off lead. I stopped going to any dog parks and now just plan sessions of playtime with dogs I know are not aggressive and who are close to my dog in age. Her current best friend is a Rottie who is 9 months old, my dog will be 1 year this week. They both weigh 73 lbs.
My dog is being trained as my service dog, so socialization daily is an important part of her ongoing training.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Originally Posted By: TNGSDI don't know much about it but I know that some dogs have poor social skills and their "rudeness" sets other dogs off.
Ugh, yes, this happened to me last night. I went to an area people go with dogs to hang out (but certainly no dog park) and as I was entering, another woman with a small dog off leash was leaving. I figured I'd let the small dog approach Taedyn for a greet, so I stopped and waited. The small dog did start to approach, but stopped at about 4' away and just barked. This really set Taedyn off - she was both annoyed by the barking and the desire to greet the dog who kept staying out of reach. Once it became clear the little dog wouldn't approach, I decided to walk away. The little dog then followed the owner to the car.

I walked quite a ways away to greet the other dogs there, and up comes that little dog. Again, she stayed about 4' away from Taedyn just barking, instigating another little dog to also bark at Taedyn - much to her annoyance. I walked away yet again. The owner of the little dog was still in the parking lot, calling for her dog to come, and the little dog went running towards her owner again.

I found an area rather far away from everyone else. No one else was around, so I let Taedyn off leash and started running with her. Again, out of seemingly no where that little dog came back! I look over at the parking lot, and the owner is still just standing there calling for her dog. I go to grab Taedyn but it was too late... the little dog did it again, standing out of reach barking at her and now Taedyn was determined to finally catch that little dog.

I managed to catch Taedyn before anything could happen, but I was the one with the big mean dog who picked on the little dog and had to leave. But of course the owner with the little annoying brat, who was letting her wander a very far distance away, without rules of "we're leaving means we're leaving", was perfectly innocent.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
get used to it ceardach, this is how uneducated people look at our beloved pets. I take my dogs to local state/town parks and while my dogs are very friendly, people have asked that i do not let my dogs play with theres because they dont want them to get hurt. Like the other day, i had this woman walking her 3 pugs offleash and bear went up to them to sniff them, being very careful, he actually will combat crawl up to them so he doesnt look so large. She immediatley picked up two of her dogs, and called to the other one. Then she shunned me for letting my MONSTER of a dog (yes thats what she said) be offleash at a park where their are children and other dogs. At this point i was really ticked off, because as she held her *precious little angels* they barked their heads off at us flailing around in her arms trying to get to us. I said to her "my dog is not a monster, hes actually just a puppy, and he is very friendly, but i wouldnt let him play with your rude brats anyway!" Then i told her she should learn some manners. Apparently she didnt like my last comment so she stormed off. The funny thing was, right behind her was this couple with a yellow lab who said her pugs rushed their lab and he got all worked up because of it. (this dog was a rescue who is a bit new to playing with other dogs.) They asked if their lab (Mootz... how cute right?) could play with Bear, and i said of course! The two romped around in the water having a blast, the couple couldnt believe what the other lady said to me. I told them "its all in a days life when you own GSDs"

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wish I had been on this board when I first got my dog! She didn't start out aggressive but after a couple of dogs got in her face she turned to the "attack or be attacked" mode. She is okay if they only come over and smell her but, and will play with almost any dog, but she has to get the 'I am in charge' out of her system a lot of times. Her best buddies are kind of oblivious no matter how she treats them, but its always supervised so she has to be nice. She kind of takes advantage otherwise.
So that is my advice - don't let another dog get in your dog's face! And stay away from that rude dog park!

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Sorry, but are you a troll. Regarding the dog park you were at, there is no way on earth 6 of 7 GSD's you saw were overly aggressive.

I am not a big fan of dog parks, but take my German Shepherd rescues to them, because the rescue group I work with is afraid they will run away and the park is fenced. These rescue German Shepherds have never even encountered a situation like you describe, nor been violent.

I would like to follow up, so what is the name of the dog park you were at.

On my end my recues go to a fenced dog park in Grafton, WI.

Quit the BS

1 - 20 of 33 Posts