German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put ear supports on my young GSD. He is 6 months & 10 days to be exact. His ears are soft, but the base seems strong. We are hoping they will stiffen up, but would like to get some tips to ensure they will go up!

He sleeps in an XPEN now to prevent the ears from touching the tops of the crate.
He is only crated maybe 3 hours out of the day (if any), when we are out.
We give him 4+ chicken feet everyday.

Any tips on what he can chew on that is healthy for him? We give bully sticks, but don't want to give too many. Also, yak sticks.

Photos below are before/after

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
I don't know but it seems a little early to put supports in the ears. My first dog's ears didn't fully stand up on their own until almost 9 months old. Btw, gorgeous face on that pup and gorgeous dog!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I would not wait a day past six months if you want those ears up. Cartilage hardens right after when teething is done. Some dogs do have their ears come up later with or without taping but it is the exception and not the rule. If you really want the look of him with his ears up, don't leave things to chance. This is a critical time period.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not wait a day past six months if you want those ears up. Cartilage hardens right after when teething is done. Some dogs do have their ears come up later with or without taping but it is the exception and not the rule. If you really want the look of him with his ears up, don't leave things to chance. This is a critical time period.

Thank you for this info! This is exactly what I was thinking, to get some supports in before the cartilage hardens. I was mainly asking if there's anything else I can do whether it be feeding something specific or chews that help promote the ears to stiffen.

Anything will help and I just want to make sure they go up and stay up!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Thank you for this info! This is exactly what I was thinking, to get some supports in before the cartilage hardens. I was mainly asking if there's anything else I can do whether it be feeding something specific or chews that help promote the ears to stiffen.

Anything will help and I just want to make sure they go up and stay up!
If you tape them, try to leave them in as long as possible. It is tempting to "take a look" but better to leave them alone. Just keep an eye out for infection.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you tape them, try to leave them in as long as possible. It is tempting to "take a look" but better to leave them alone. Just keep an eye out for infection.
Okay sounds good, I hear they last 2 - 3 weeks. We don't plan on looking at all, our goal is to get over a month with them :)

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Okay sounds good, I hear they last 2 - 3 weeks. We don't plan on looking at all, our goal is to get over a month with them :)
I would redo them in at least two weeks to make sure there is no infection.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My puppy's ears were up earlier so not sure if anything helped.

I noticed that canned green beef tripe from petco made his ears stand right after I started feeding him twice a day. It has gelatin.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for everyone's help!

Is there a limit on the amount of bully sticks? I know they contain a lot of protein.

A
0 Posts
Our pup just turned 7 months old and his ears are still not all the way up. The tips are still hanging and it has not changed for a few months now. Will let it run its course though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Update on my pups ears after 1 week with Ear Supports! His one ear is strong (ear support actually fell out), but the ends of the other is floppy. I am happy with the results as most the ear is strong, and I'll reapply for the tips to strengthen.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Glad you tackled it now while success rates with taping are quite a bit higher.

He is a very handsome boy,!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad you tackled it now while success rates with taping are quite a bit higher.

He is a very handsome boy,!
Thank you, it was difficult at first, gluing the supports in, but we got the hang of it now. I think a second round of the supports will be just what he needs to have them stand upright nicely and not pointed outwards!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts