German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone here tell me if my 6 month old female puppy will lose her wavy back coat and if she will be a long haired gsd dog? Please help, thanks. Photos attached.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,673 Posts
interesting waves and oh so shiny! Your gal might not be long haired but might be plushy. I look forward to seeing how she grows into her coat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Full GSD or Not?

I was walking her the other day and another random dog walker asked me if she was a full GSD dog because of her wavy back hair? I replied of course she is but after I went home it made me a bit paranoid about it. What do you guys & gals on here think? I have attached more pics.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
... the waves will go away as her coat lengthens over the next year.
Or not! Cava is almost 11 months old and her curls are showing no signs of going away.

She definitely looks like a purebred longcoat GSD. Absolutely beautiful!

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
This was Cava at about 6 months old:

The fur along her back is slightly less curly now, but it does still curl quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
6,638 Posts
Or not! Cava is almost 11 months old and her curls are showing no signs of going away.
Tilden was wavy well over a year. He didn’t even get grinch feet or a fancy tail til two.

So we’ll see where she lands..... just like her weight :lurking:

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Tilden was wavy well over a year. He didn’t even get grinch feet or a fancy tail til two.

So we’ll see where she lands..... just like her weight :lurking:
Small, Cava, stay small. :D Her tail is ridiculous, and has been for a long time - she has the longest tail fur of any of our coaties. Actually, of any GSD I've ever seen. And she is just starting to get hairy hobbit feet but it will be awhile before they're as furry as Keefer's or as Halo's were.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Op, both our wgsl coaties started with some wavy hair down their back, both straightened with maturity. My working line coatie is different. His hair grows along his sides and sweeps outward away from his body similar to Cava's hair along her lower rib cage area.

This was Cava at about 6 months old:

The fur along her back is slightly less curly now, but it does still curl quite a bit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you think she will be a long haired GSD?
I hope she loses her waves and goes straight later on? Do you think she will?

·
Registered
737 Posts
She is a long-coat definitely. The long hair inside her ears and behind them, plus the length of coat on her back is the proof. My guy looked just like that at 6 months. One thing about coaties, their length of coat can change over the years. My guy did not get the long feathers on the backs of his front legs until he was about 5. How long your girl's hair may be and where it will grow should become clear as she matures. She is utterly adorable and very pretty!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Quinnsmom and to everyone who answered, I certainly feel better now getting all your opinions on my gal Jessie and good to know she is 100% GSD and also pleased to hear that she will most likely be a long-coat.
At what age do you think she will get her long-coat?

·
Registered
23 Posts
there is a dna kit you can order off amazon if you wanted to know for sure think it was called wisdom panel breed identification dna test kit or something i saw when researching myself. looks like a very cute dog either way!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts