German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
All depends if she feels the need. She may not be much of a barker. I bet she loves everyone and is a great family pet.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sorry, got distracted by the that photo of a 6-mo old puppy cuddling next to you and not biting biting biting biting.

Malibu's right- dogs are individuals with different urges and timetables. My boy is 1 now and only recently discovered how much fun barking is. Now barks at squirrels, birds, sound of the sump pump, weird sounds on the TV, anything near the front door outside, etc etc.

Enjoy the silence!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'd prefer my dog to not bark at the door. Or maybe just bark to alert me to someone there, but stop afterwards. My shiba does a pretty good job of this, so Katsu doesn't really alert me to the door. She's more of a whiner/squeaker than barker anyways (unless she's doing protection...then she won't shut up!). Oh the conversations we have, lol.

I would expect the barking from a more mature dog, say a year or older, rather than a puppy.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Jealous. I wish my brat was a snuggler!

Early on he looked to our older dog when someone came to the door but the old fart is not a barker - he just waits and watches.

Since the age of one, typically we get one bark at the door with whining, and a he starts nudging the doorknob. He really just wants to bounce all over whoever is at the door versus eat them.

If it is out of schedule and I am home for a sick day or something he is more aggressive and vocal about the door and will start as they are coming up the walkway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So are you saying that from the age of 1 she should start to become more protective of her owners and start barking at strangers?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine are not barkers and in general know that it is my job to be the protector. Kiisa probably would have been an alert barker for visitors except that Miika was not (they both get excited if a friend comes though) and she follows Miika’s lead.

They will go to the door ahead of me and will sometimes whine, but mostly if a stranger decided he needed to come in he would be greeted by two silent GSDs, which might be even more unnerving if they weren’t so friendly (at least when I am home).

Been thinking I should put a sign up saying “the door is locked to keep the dogs in not to keep you out,” lol. Or to say “the GSDs who live here would love to have you come in and play, just not sure they would let you leave” ☺

·
Registered
217 Posts
Get a sheltie that will teach her to bark at the door lol. Zelda is not much of a barker either, but the shelties have taught her that anyone coming to the door, even if it is the husband or kids coming home they must be barked at

·
Registered
309 Posts
Beau would teach her to bark every time any living thing or any vehicle breaches the perimeter. Or passes too slowly by the house. Or stops at the curb. Or even thinks about it. And to keep barking until it leaves or dies. Count your blessings.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
So are you saying that from the age of 1 she should start to become more protective of her owners and start barking at strangers?
You actually don't want her barking at strangers until she is older. And if she was already defensive at 6 months, that is also actually something that would be worked on/managed and not very desirable, as it would be a sign of lack of confidence, more than a conscious "protectiveness". At 6 months old anyway. A lot of people will say " oh he/she is so protective already at 6 months! Will not let people in the house and will bark ferociously". What is REALLY happening there, usually, with a dog that young is a lack of confidence.

A confident pup who isnt put off by visitors at 6 months old is a good thing. So be glad :)

As for "protection" what are you looking for? A dog that alerts when someone is on your property? Or an actual protection dog? Because that would be two different conversations with the latter having many more potential pitfalls that other more experienced people here could guide you on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine are not barkers and in general know that it is my job to be the protector. Kiisa probably would have been an alert barker for visitors except that Miika was not (they both get excited if a friend comes though) and she follows Miika’s lead.

They will go to the door ahead of me and will sometimes whine, but mostly if a stranger decided he needed to come in he would be greeted by two silent GSDs, which might be even more unnerving if they weren’t so friendly (at least when I am home).

Been thinking I should put a sign up saying “the door is locked to keep the dogs in not to keep you out,” lol. Or to say “the GSDs who live here would love to have you come in and play, just not sure they would let you leave” ☺
Love it!!! How about 'this door is locked for your safety, not ours, as a GSD lives here"

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Maybe. Maybe not. But be careful what you wish for - for every person who comes here to ask why their puppy isn't barking it seems like there's a dozen trying to get their dog to STOP barking. Let her be who she is. There is no timetable on when or even if a particular dog will become protective.

Brief alert barking (and then stop, please!!!) when someone comes to the door is fine but I don't want my dogs barking every time they see a stranger. Most of the strangers I encounter, and that can be dozens every time we go to our local regional park for a hike, mean us no harm. A benign stranger isn't a threat and what an annoyance it would be if my dogs acted like every one of them actually was. Keep in mind too that when a young dog barks at strangers it is very likely out of fear rather than protectiveness. A confident dog does not worry about people it doesn't know as long as you aren't concerned either.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Our Male Red is 11 months old, and we haven't heard him bark at all, for the last 4-5 months. He is confident and friendly to visitors and folks that stop us during our walks, and has had plenty of socialization. I'm sure that in due time, and with the maturation process, he will be protective of his pack (us); and if this doesn't happen, we still have a wonderful friendly GSD that is a joy to be around. From the start, we had no desire to get a protection/guard dog ( not that there is anything wrong with that); so the fact that he doesn't bark and slept through the night since day 1, its a blessing from the heavens IMHO. :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
Maybe. Maybe not. But be careful what you wish for - for every person who comes here to ask why their puppy isn't barking it seems like there's a dozen trying to get their dog to STOP barking. Let her be who she is. There is no timetable on when or even if a particular dog will become protective.

Brief alert barking (and then stop, please!!!) when someone comes to the door is fine but I don't want my dogs barking every time they see a stranger. Most of the strangers I encounter, and that can be dozens every time we go to our local regional park for a hike, mean us no harm. A benign stranger isn't a threat and what an annoyance it would be if my dogs acted like every one of them actually was. Keep in mind too that when a young dog barks at strangers it is very likely out of fear rather than protectiveness. A confident dog does not worry about people it doesn't know as long as you aren't concerned either.
Exactly. Enjoy the silence while it lasts.

·
Registered
31,097 Posts
Your dog may, or may not, ever bark. Personally, I wish my dogs would SHUT UP when I tell them to. But it it is an excellent deterrent. And it only happens when I'm in the house. My boy doesn't care unless I"m here. I'm in the "I want them to bark at the door" crowd.

If this is something you want her to do then train her to bark and train her to stop barking. TRAIN HER TO STOP on command. It will save your sanity. Start by teaching her to bark independently. That's pretty easy. My 13 week old started that yesterday. Once she has that, then teach her to stop and teach her to assume some position that can transfer to your house.

Theoretically, I would want the dog to alert at the door. When I come, I would give a command for the dog to stop barking and back away from the door to a certain spot.

An IPO person could teach you this. We do it all the time calling a dog out of the blind and at the pick ups after the guarding.

·
Registered
708 Posts
You can take my Dobe mix for a week, then you’ll be begging for your quiet dog back lol!

He takes his job (supervising the premises) seriously. A little too seriously at times, but it’s amazing how observant he is because he notices things way before I do. Actually I’d probably never notice if it wasn’t for him. People walking/biking down the street, strange dogs, stuff like that. But contrary to my GSD he is such a WHINER. I love him but goodness gracious it drives me nuts sometimes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My girl is eight months old and just started barking when someone knocks on the door. We don't get many visitors, but I am all for it, as long as she "quiets" when I tell her to. When we are out and about, or in the yard she is friendly or non-reactive to people unless there is something obviously "odd" about them, then she'll bark a few times. I live in a city and walk her early in the morning and later at night, so this works just fine for me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a very quiet 7 year old that rarely barks and a 11 week old that barks when she wants something. I think it is just tje personality of the dog. My 7 year old never barked as a young one but as he got up old (9 months) he would bark at the doorbell.
Barking has nothing to do with protection. I learned this with My late GSD Frieden, he was trained for protection and actually represented the USA in schutzhund competitions and he rarely barked.
Your pup is just fine...look at that happy face.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Barking has nothing to do with protection.
Well, it sometimes does. My experience tells me that barking is a little like tail wagging. Or the human voice. For example, every time a human yells, it may not mean they are angry - well, before 2016 that was true :) And when a dog wags his tail, that does not necessarily mean he or she is happy to see you, just that the dog is excited about something. Just like that, the bark needs careful study for correct interpretation.

Our current GSD (Hiro) was rescued from the street, with epilepsy and filed teeth. He did not bark at his new home for over a year. Not a peep nor a whine (unless he was having a seizure). Then, a little white ****zoo yapper moved next door. Now every time the little annoying yapper barks, so does Hiro. It sounds to me like they are having a conversation, not sure.

Then there are the garbagemen of Nepal, who walk around neighborhoods blowing a plastic whistle to announce the collection. ALL the neighborhood dogs bark at that, and now finally Hiro chimes in like a normal Nepali dog. But it took him over a year in his new home to find his "I don't like whistling strangers walking in the hood" voice. He still won't bark at someone knocking on the gate, or gratefully not at a new person inside the gate. But he has an evil yellow eye, and it's on the job, staring at any stranger as they more towards the door... trust, but verify I suppose :grin2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts