German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, it's been awhile since I posted. My Shylo is now 6 months old, and is huge lol. He is now bigger than the golden retrievers that my parents have. I have taken him to my home already, and came back to parent's for a week or two due to dr appts. They are all having fun, with few minor mishaps lol.

Anyway, I've been having problems with Shylo's stomach. In the middle of July I believe, we started Shylo on Canidae ALS dog food, he was ok until the beginning of Aug, and he started diarrhea, it went on for awhile, I was hoping it would pass, but it didn't. So when I came back to my parent's, I stopped feeding him Canidae, and fed him a bland diet of Beef and Rice, his stools started firming up and was back to normal. After researching many different food, I decided to try Horizon Complete LBP food, that was a week ago, on the 19th of Aug, he was ok for first few days, then two days ago he started diarrhea again. So today he is back on bland food, only this time I am using Chicken and Rice, as a trial to see if he is sensitive to Chicken, however today his stool seems to firm up a bit so I am suspecting that it's not the chicken after all.

Anyway I am researching food again, and am coming to dead end. I can't afford expensive food like blue buffalo or whatever. I am looking for range between 50 to 60 dollar for dog food.

However I had looked at the two different dog food and compared the ingredients, and discovered that the ingredients in common between the two dog food are chicken meal, barley, chicken fat, flaxseed, and alfalfa meal. So I'm wondering out of those five ingredients, which should I try next to see if it is the culprit of his stomach problems? Is any of those ingredients known to cause diarrhea in dogs?

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Barley, like oats, have a ton of water soluble fiber. That could possibly be one of the issues. Also, neither of the foods you have tried have beet pulp.

Try a food with chicken (one protein) (its ok if there is some fish in the formula), either rice or corn or both and beet pulp as the fiber.

If you can't find a barley or oat free food pick one with beet pulp.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
That Horizon formula also has pea fiber and two vegetables that should never be in dog food, cabbage and bok choy. Jesus H Christ what is wrong with these people. Get your money back!!!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Since you are in Canada, what are your reasonable choices when it comes to dog food brands? What can you get locally?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to try Horizon again, only slowly introduce him, maybe next bag back to Act1uim or try, surprisingly for me, purina proplan selects, as it is similar to act1ium, and holistic. so maybe try that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I second Sable123 about the need for a fiber source -
My GSD also had loose stools from time to time as a puppy. I have tried all the premium food you see in stores and after 2 years I found that the one that works the best for the my dog is 60% Royal Canin gsd24 + evo red meat + another brand that I rotate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts