German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello there,
Marshall is turning 6 months on oct 22nd,
He is cute friendly and I really love him but unfortunately when i go back from work i untie him and keep him free till the next morning, while playing with him suddenly he becomes crazy and i become his target... He starts biting all over my body, nothing will work unless i use force because sometimes it becomes out of control. I feel that he knows he did a mistake from his look but why he is biting im really sad everything positive about this dog except the sudden attack im worried honestly and affraid of contact with him. I always give him toys for chewing i always train him not to bite i get close to him put my hand and leg next to his mouth he does nothing... Suddenly he bites with jumping also. I really need your help.
Regards,
Jad.
N.B: how much will basic obedience training help concerning the biting?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Hi Jad,

Your puppy is not quite done teething yet, so he bites because it feels good on his gums. Just keep redirecting to a toy, or a ball on a rope, or a tug, and it will get better soon!

That being said, it sounds like you're having problems when you first get home because your puppy is excited and is maybe not getting enough exercise during the day. How long is he alone during the day?

Another thing you said was that you untie him, so he's being kept on a chain during the day? Keeping a dog tied out on a rope is very dangerous, so if you're doing that please consider making other arrangements, like building him a kennel or even keeping him indoors in a crate. It's much safer for the dog! At the very least use a chain instead of a rope. The advantage is that a chain loosens if the dog isn't struggling against it, where a rope will tighten and stay tightened and can very easily kill the dog if he gets tangled up in it! Of course building or buying a kennel is by far the best solution! That way your dog can move around freely during the day, and there's no risk of getting tangled up.

·
4,497 Posts
Biting and grabbing games are very natural for our dogs. Use this to your advantage. Get really good at tug games! (leerburg has some good tug advice as well as The Collared Scholar) Tug games help with that urge to bite. It helps with bonding. It helps with self control. 15 minutes a day a couple times a day (a little less if it is hot and muggy out) can make a big difference.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Basic Obedience can be good for all young dogs but it sounds to me like your puppy could be frustrated due to his

living conditions, if he's being tied up, and to his isolation for so many hours per day.

Like Tim said, you really need to provide a better situation than tying up. He needs to be free to exercise at will.

Also many people with young dogs use doggy day care for the socialization so the puppy is not on their own and

bored to death all day long. Or they hire someone to come walk the dog while they're at work.

I think if you could provide these changes, you'd have a calmer, happier dog.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I have to put this out there because I really believe it to be true....

Your puppy is becoming a larger puppy and all that rough housing when he was easy to control was fun but now it isn't..

NOT SURE WHAT THIS MEANS.. ""unfortunately when i go back from work i untie him ""
when you get back from work you untie him??>

Is he alone for many hours. HE NEEDS TO BE RAN. TIRED OUT !!

If you want him to listen put him on a leash and calm him down. Start training him and show him what you want..

·
Registered
671 Posts
Where exactly do you tie the dog? Tying a dog can be very frustrating on them. It's better if you crate him rather than tie him. Crate could be and should be his 'safe place.' Tie outs are stressful for dogs!

Honestly (I might be wrong) you describe him being excited to see you home as 'attack.' I doubt it was one. For pups, the way they express excitement can be rough for humans (by biting and nipping and jumping).

·
Super Moderator
5,870 Posts
Biting and grabbing games are very natural for our dogs. Use this to your advantage. Get really good at tug games! (leerburg has some good tug advice as well as The Collared Scholar) Tug games help with that urge to bite. It helps with bonding. It helps with self control. 15 minutes a day a couple times a day (a little less if it is hot and muggy out) can make a big difference.
Excellent idea!Most people's dogs are super excited when their owners return home.Try waiting quietly for a couple of minutes until he calms down,have a tug or a couple of toys ready.Have him sit\stay until you release him then play tug or "two ball" and burn off a little energy.When you've both had enough,maybe leash him and walk around a little to cool down.Then inside for dinner(feed him when his breathing is back to normal).Teach him impulse control at other opportunities by having him sit\stay before any change of activity.
My dogs don't jump or bite like puppies but when I return home from somewhere they race around the kitchen like crazy things.I stand and wait a few moments until it's all out of their system before greeting them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts