German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I have a workingline gsd, he is now 6 months old and only weighing in at 30 lbs.
when we got him at 8 weeks old, he was one of the smallest in the litter. After we brought him home, for several weeks he had canine coronavirus and constantly had diarrhea and had no appetite. After a while, he got better and started eating again. He is gaining weight but very slowly (probably about 1lb every week or two). There are also speculations about him being a dwarf because of the fact that he still has his puppy fur. Could it be that he is stunted because of his virus or is it more likely that it’s pituitary dwarfism? I’m slightly discouraged because I don’t want him to have dwarfism and have a shorter lifespan and lose his fur :(
If anyone has tips on getting him to grow faster or have any advice or opinions, please let me know :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
He doesn’t look like a dwarf by your pictures. Those more informed than I will surely chime in before too long.

Do you have more pictures for a better point of reference? Maybe side shots while standing?

From the pictures you posted I would have thought he was a cute young pup (3-4 months old).

Miika was very small as a puppy but did catch up. She was almost 50# at 6 months. She finished (when she was in shape and lean) around 70#. Now, out of shape she is 63-65#.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He doesn’t look like a dwarf by your pictures. Those more informed than I will surely chime in before too long.

Do you have more pictures for a better point of reference? Maybe side shots while standing?

From the pictures you posted I would have thought he was a cute young pup (3-4 months old).

Miika was very small as a puppy but did catch up. She was almost 50# at 6 months. She finished (when she was in shape and lean) around 70#. Now, out of shape she is 63-65#.
Hi, thank you for your imput. I don’t have many side profile shots but I have a few here. He doesn’t look disproportionate by any means. It’s mostly the rate of growth that concerns me.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
He looks more like a 4 month old puppy, not a 6 month old puppy. Where did you get him from? I’m inclined to think it wasn’t a great breeder if he came home sick. My guess is that you were given an incorrect birthdate. I supposed being sick could stunt growth, but I can’t imagine it making a puppy look two months younger than he/she is. What does your breeder say?

·
Registered
722 Posts
He doesn't look like a 6 month old. Had I seen him out and about I would've thought 3-4 months old. Are you sure the birth date the breeder gave you was correct? He's a cute little stinker for sure though

·
Registered
492 Posts
As much as him looking really young. 3/4 months wouldn’t make sense if he was with you since 8 weeks.
It’s the fur that I can’t reconcile to the age but maybe he’s just a late bloomer in the fur department as well. I think maybe that’s what’s making him appear younger than he really is.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Do you have any pictures of when he first came home at 8 weeks?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Have you raised the question with your vet and, if so, what does s/he say?

ETA. He's adorable whatever might be going on.

ETA2. Looked at your photos again and wondered if he might be a mix (e.g., Husky). Do you have his papers?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts