German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Normally most people will tell you wait until 8 months for the late bloomers...but to me those don’t look like they will ever stand...

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
That is one seriously adorable pup!
One of Shadows ears was tipped until she was almost a year old, but I agree that those don't look like they will come up. I hope you love him anyway.
Give him stuff to chew on, I know that helps.

·
Super Moderator
7,901 Posts
have they ever stood at all?

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
My one dog's ears looked like that at six months of age. They had never stood up. I opted not to tape and by the time he was six and a half months old, the ears came up on their own without any help.

I had another dog whose one ear was up but weak and wobbly at that age and the other flopped. I opted to tape and within about 10 days I had the other ear up so I suspect that it would have come up on its own regardless of the taping. However, they both wiggled and wagged until he was over a year before they stiffened up.

I do want to note that both of these dogs were oversized and heavy boned and it is said that larger or heavier boned dogs' ears can take longer to come up and that has been my experience now and in the past. I am not sure how big your dog is or how heavy boned.

One more thing, I once saw it on a thread where an experienced and respected breeder stated to restrict food intake for a little bit and that the ears will come up. I don't know.

·
Registered
326 Posts
dont get too much worried about his ears! Hes a beatiful boy and this makes him Very special e add to its personality too. :smile2:
My boy Leon didnt stand his ears also but is also a loveley boy and today i thanks God for made him as he is now!
Look at him with 6 months and now with 22 months.

PS. this Angry face at The beginning post its not from me! I dont now How It cames on!

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
As someone else asked.......Have either of the ears ever stood up??......If the answer is "yes"....he's a late bloomer-give him time they'll stand

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
326 Posts
As someone else asked.......Have either of the ears ever stood up??......If the answer is "yes"....he's a late bloomer-give him time they'll stand
Right. It is said that when the ears lift and then one or both fall is because of the demand for calcium for dentition formation which is very high in the period of 3-5 months, so when this demand diminished the cartilages tend to regain stiffness and lift the ears. This is a well-known explanation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts