German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gsd is almost 6 months and has been trained and socialized and I try and train her almost daily but for short periods of time. But recently starting about a week ago she has begun to rebel. By this I mean not listening to commands on leash or in the house. I'm currently resorting going back to basic obedience training until she gains her focus again. Is this normal around this age and am I on the right track to get my well trained and behaved girl back? Any helpful suggestions would be great.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
176 Posts
From what I've read on this site, it's called the teenage or "butt head" stage. ;) You've come to the right place for great advice. You can also search butt head stage.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
159 Posts
"[she] has been trained and socialized..."
Well, she hasn't been trained, because she doesn't listen to you on leash or in the house. You should have realistic expectations because 6 months is still very much a puppy but I would start to control more of her time and go back to the basics. Unless she's playing with you or training, crate her. At the same time, you need to teach her that you're the most fun and interesting thing in her life. Play with her, get her focused on you, and don't push too hard too soon. I would go back to square one and start with the basics. Get some good training videos (Michael Ellis) and walk through the steps slowly and methodically.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If it's any consolation, my boy is 8 months and we're starting to see the light. He rebelled big time around 5-78 months. We stayed consistent with our training and he seems to be settling down a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts