German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what to do. I just got his x-rays done today and they are pretty bad. My vet says surgery is only needed on his left because of how he was born. The bone isn't being cupped like the other, the bone isn't shaped like a "c", so it can't cradle the hip bone as it should. Instead, it is now almost dislocated due to a play accident he had a couple days ago. His right hip however, should be fine with medication. The surgery is $1600 per hip. I can't afford that and he doesn't see an alternative other than surgery. Like I said, his right is fine with just vitamins and medications but his left is absolutely terrible. He has been limping since his accident despite the pain/joint meds we just got him on and the orthopedic bed I bought him. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the X-rays to post yet. Is there anyone who knows of any ways I could pay for this? I can't really take out a loan and I was turned down when I applied for carecredit.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
sorry your going thru this:(

Can you apply for a small loan? Ask the vet if he would take payments?? apply for a credit card??

I was going to suggest care credit, but I see you already tried that route.

Hope you can figure something out.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
call up to MI state, to the veterinary school, explain them your situation, they may be able to help you, your pup would be operated on by a student, but the professor would be there overseeing everything,

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Or try Purdue, I know it is further to drive, but I've heard GREAT things about their vet school. Check out your options.
I know of a friend that had to have both hips done(FHO's) on her boy and she lucked out with a vet that did it inexpensively compared to others. I hope your pup isn't in too much pain.
My vet misdiagnosed Onyx when she was 6 months(very bad positioning!) and suggested that she had severe HD. She really had a bout of Panosteitis.

After I got the x-rays and posted them here, I found out the vet was so wrong and it made me wonder how many other dogs he misdiagnosed in his 40 yr career.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Or try Purdue, I know it is further to drive, but I've heard GREAT things about their vet school. Check out your options.
I know of a friend that had to have both hips done(FHO's) on her boy and she lucked out with a vet that did it inexpensively compared to others. I hope your pup isn't in too much pain.
My vet misdiagnosed Onyx when she was 6 months(very bad positioning!) and suggested that she had severe HD. She really had a bout of Panosteitis.

After I got the x-rays and posted them here, I found out the vet was so wrong and it made me wonder how many other dogs he misdiagnosed in his 40 yr career.
That's crazy! Did you take new results back to the vet and show him he was wrong? What did he say?

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
That's crazy! Did you take new results back to the vet and show him he was wrong? What did he say?
His staff was very protective of him, and wouldn't involve themselves when I suggested he was wrong. He owned the practice, his daughter was one of the other vets. Very sad, considering this place is very, very busy and the head vet can't even diagnose Pano(which we all know is prevalent in the breed). His license should have been reviewed!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
when Max was 4 months, he was walking in front of me, I put my hands on his hips, and i could feel the bones grinding and popping, freaked me out, I took him to the vet`s, she did that stretching and twisting thing they do, and said yes, he had pain, said she could xray, but warned my that she has seen xrays of hips so bad, that you would think the dog couldn't walk, but they go on to live a normal life, with supplements and most important exercise, walking is the best, keeping the muscle built up in the rear legs, the more muscle there, the less stress on the joint, something to consider, I do the operation as a last resort

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much for the ideas! Poor guy has barely left his bed. I can't help but think this may have been partially my fault knowing I saw the signs when he was younger and didn't take him in then. I suppose I figured(hoped) it was just his way of growing or something.

I never even thought of calling schools! Seeing that I am doing my pre-classes to get into the vet program myself I am definitely going to look into this. Knowing that within the next couple years that student could be me, grateful someone would trust me with their pet...

I'll keep you guys updated, I did apply for a grant so far. I only got the results this morning, so. I sincerely appreciate all the concern, it means a lot. I'm hoping between small amount donations from family and friends who are dying to help and maybe a small loan I can do this ASAP.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Can you take photo's of the x-rays and post them here? I'd like to see them.
Sorry you are going thru this, and really, really hoping it is just like my scenario and it's only a bad positioning/misdiagnosis with Pano causing the discomfort.
You did pay for the x-rays' so you should be able to go into your vet and place them on their lightbox to take photo's of them(or take them with you!!)....any teaching hospital would probably like to see the films or digitals when you ask for consult. Best to have whatever you can available asap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a copy of his xrays emailed to me this morning. It does look like bad positioning but I'm not an expert. Hopefully this looks like something someone here can relate to.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I'm so sorry, it may be bad positioning, but bad positioning or not, those hips are really horrific:((( They aren't even close to being in the socket:(

Have you contacted your breeder?

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
So sorry, they are really bad. Not fair at all. :(

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
I'm sorry, those hips are horrible. Some of the worst I have seen. I think surgery will be needed in both hips if this pup is going to have any long term quality of life.

I agree with checking with the vet schools in the area: MI State, Purdue, Illinois to see if you may be able to get it done at a discount to be used for teaching. Ask if they will allow payment plans. You may try reapplying for Care Credit, or Citi Health (a similar line of credit for medical bills) with a co-signer to see if you can get approved that way. If you have a health warranty from the breeder, that may help offset some of the expenses as well.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
The positioning isn't good, but it doesn't matter. The poor boy doesn't have any hip sockets for the ball of the joint to be seated in :(

Obviously, this is not your fault. I am very very sorry.

I agree with the other suggestions given. Poor dude :(

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I join those who say that these are the worst hips ever seen . Your breeder definitely needs to be informed ---- expect more hip problems in the litter -- major decisions need to be made about the sire and dam ---- and I hope that you have a guarantee that the breeder needs to make good on. This is not your fault . No way , no how. Do what is best for the poor dog .

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I don't know if it is the positioning, or because I'm not an expert on reading X-rays, or because the x-ray-s are that of a six month old - but doesn't the pelvic bone look unusually small? Seems like it is out of proportion with the size of the leg bones and the spine.

Does anyone else see it that way? Is the pelvic bone under-developed?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Lucia, no expert here either, but yes the pelvic bone looks very strange to me, maybe it's because there are no 'sockets'? just looks small/out of whack to me..but again, could be positioning..

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
does the dog have some sort of breeder's guarantee , that could offset your expenses?
That will be a huge help! Go look at the breeder agreement you signed when you purchased your puppy, then call up your breeder with the bad news.

They need to contact the other owners of the litter PLUS I'm thinking a repeat breeding would be a bad idea...

:(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts