German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

My black german shepherd just turned 6 months old a few days ago. We picked him up back in January and he was a stark 6&1/2 lbs at 9 weeks. Since then he has grown to 40 lbs and about 21 inches from shoulders down. He's on the skinnier muscular side. My partner and I always joke that we think the breeder gave us a 5 week old and not a 9 week old by accident because of how tiny he was (but man was he cute).

He is a WGSL straight back. His dad is around ~75 lbs at 26 inches and his mom is ~60 lbs (height not known).

My question to all of you is when did your puppy finishing growing? We just started noticing that his balls well are a lot more noticeable. When he was 5 1/2 months old they were non existent but now my partner and I are like, "oh where did those come from?" We were thinking that he is just a late bloomer and hoping his weight would start increasing at a faster rate but it seems to hold steady at 2-3pd gain per week. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't like him to grow a little more but he's such a good boy =). My man is regal looking as heck!
IMG_3781[1].JPG

Thanks,
Z

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
They are lanky when they are young, and many black ones seem to have less bone.
He will end up like his parents.
They grow in height and length until they are 8 months old, then they fill out as they gain muscle. It also depends on how much exercise the dog gets.

6 months:

2 years:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are lanky when they are young, and many black ones seem to have less bone.
He will end up like his parents.
They grow in height and length until they are 8 months old, then they fill out as they gain muscle. It also depends on how much exercise the dog gets.
Interesting regarding the exercise amount. Haven't ever thought about it or read into it. Right now, we bring him on an hour long walk coupled with fetch for however long he'll go before finally giving up on going for the frisbee in the morning. And since its so hot out right now we wait until around 6 or so to let him hang with his cousin dog (Dobermann). They usually play for a good hour or so before call it a day. Of course there's some tug-of-war games in between the morning and 6 with a zoomy here and there.) He puts himself to bed most nights (i.e., walks himself right into his crate) so we're hopeful that he's happy with the days work. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Actually, he looks great. Slow/moderate, steady growth is preferable in my book. The alternative is excessive/fast growth , which can give you issues before the dogs growth plates fuse. I would bet your vet would be concerned only that you keep the phosphorus/calcium levels in food balanced, so that he stays on a healthy continuum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! Generally gsd stop growing in height till 15-18 months. After that they only grow in width. It all depends up on there diet exercise and genetics. I have a working line black female. I have gifted one of her puppy to my father in law and now at 8 months he almost looks like an adult. His name is Simba and his father was 27 at shoulders and mother 24 inch.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Your pup has a year to stop growing and fill out, relax.
Growth generally done by 10-12 months and will put on ~10% weight in 12-18 months

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts
i would expect my dog or puppy to be exactly the size they are if they’re happy, healthy and energetic.

Reactions: drparker151

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your pup has a year to stop growing and fill out, relax.
Growth generally done by 10-12 months and will put on ~10% weight in 12-18 months
All relaxed here! Was just curious as a first time owner to hear from the group. Thanks for the note!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Growth Plates are closed around 18 months of age. Typically they will have one final growth spurt between 12-15 months of age, for height. After that, it may take from 2-4 years old, depending on their bloodlines, before they fully fill out. It's important for your pup is to keep him lean, which is healthier for his joints. Rule of thumb for walks is 5 minutes per month of age. So 5 months is 25 minutes on a walk. It's the repetitive motion and pounding on the joints that are the issue, and can cause problems down the road. This is why breeders explain exercise, jumping, running to puppy buyers. Environment can play a huge role in joints. With the size of his parents, I'd expect him to mature at around 70-75#.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts