German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question . There is a 6 month German shepherd looking for a new home. I already have a 14 month female . Do you think bringing this male into my pack a good or bad idea ?

People rehoming him state " they don't have the time to spend with him"

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't take in another really young dog. I have a 17 month old male and we are nowhere near ready for a six month old puppy. I like to make sure my dogs are where I want them to be with their training before we add another dog.

But that's just my situation. I know it's hard to ignore a dog that needs a home, but I wouldn't do it.

Edited to add: I'm sure many people probably could handle having a 14 month old and a six month old. But having two dogs that aren't mature, well, you never know what could happen when they're adults.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I think it really comes down to how much work do you want to do? It may be a super easy transition or it may be the exact opposite

If you're committed I would go meet him yourself first and then bring your girl to meet him and see how it goes.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
I wouldn't do it. But I keep my bitches intact for several years, live-long unless there is a problem. And a young male - too young to neuter, my youngest bitch only got a brain at 2 yo so that would be way too much for me to take on. Right now I'm working two and that's more than enough for me.

The "We just don't have the time he needs" is such a common cop out statement . It shows up on Craig's list all the time. I want to know what the real truth is. Is it we are lazy thoughtless pie in the sky people (which if WDHT translates to) or is it that the dog is out of control, has bitten someone, killed another pet, has serious health issues we don't want to deal with.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies , my heart keeps saying yes ....... But my head is saying no no no , all your comments have just confirmed I should go with my head

Cheers

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
yeah to "The "We just don't have the time he needs" is such a common cop out statement . It shows up on Craig's list all the time. I want to know what the real truth is. Is it we are lazy thoughtless pie in the sky people (which if WDHT translates to) or is it that the dog is out of control, has bitten someone, killed another pet, has serious health issues we don't want to deal with. "

ask who is the breeder?

ask why was the breeder not contacted about the re-home ?

there may be some clause in the sales contract which obligates current owner
to giving breeder first right of refusal should the pup be unsuitable for "this"
owner necessitating re-home.

in any case a good breeder will want to know where their pups are going , have
some involvement in finding a responsible home -- something that isn't driven by convenience and speed --- I said a good breeder -- some may not have cared to
begin with and be first-come first-serve , speed and convenience quickee sales themselves.

guarantees are given by the breeder . They don't survive a resale . If the dog
shows to have a problem , let's say crippling hip dysplasia at 18 months , then your contract is with the party you bought the dog from -- not the breeder .

if papers are a requirement , the seller may not have the dog transferred into his name yet (time period is 6 months post sale) --- you buy the dog now , breeder diligently makes papers out to original buyer , which is what they have to do , each transaction and transfer has to be noted, then you buy dog (re-home) , YOUR seller disappears -- you have nothing , no recourse .

make sure the dog actually belongs to the seller

1 - 6 of 6 Posts