German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I noticed some unusual behavior today. After a walk with Simba we were at the front door of our apartment. I was unlocking the door. Simba heard someone coming down the stairs and my upstairs neighbor and his massive lab were coming down (his first experience seeing a dog literally right infront of our apartment unit, at least at the front door. At the back door we have a lawn and he watches dogs and people walk by all day). I held simba back and directed him not to pull. As soon as we entered the house simba became very anxious. It's as if he was looking for something. He seemed very anxious. He started exploring parts of the apartment he normal doesnt. He became submissive to me and my roommates and even tucked his tail when I picked him up (never happened). He even started barking (this literally has never happened) when my roommate came into the living room from his room. He was listening to every noise and exploring everything. He still seems very uncomfortable and anxious. Has anyone experienced this? Any advice?

Thanks
Rox

·
Registered
23 Posts
How does he behave with other dogs when meeting outside ? What about when other people (without dogs) visiting you ?
At 6 months he is still too young to feel territorial, but if he is not used to get "disturbed" at home he might feel unsure how to behave.
Dogs often associate certain reactions with locations, so some training has to be done twice - think of general obedience commands being followed inside the house, but not outside (even when there is no distraction), so he might simply not be used to it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does he behave with other dogs when meeting outside ? What about when other people (without dogs) visiting you ?
At 6 months he is still too young to feel territorial, but if he is not used to get "disturbed" at home he might feel unsure how to behave.
Dogs often associate certain reactions with locations, so some training has to be done twice - think of general obedience commands being followed inside the house, but not outside (even when there is no distraction), so he might simply not be used to it.
When meeting other dogs at the park or on walks he gets super excited and loves it. When he is the backyard he will look at the dos and people walking by but not whine or bark. When we go on a walk and walk past dogs on the yard he looks that way but doesn't pull towards them. I'm in college so I have alot of friends that come over. He is always socializing. He loves it. The more people the better. Same goes for dogs.

Only thing is that he has never seen a dog so close to our FRONT door (literally right outside) and he may of been spooked since he came from upstairs(?).. The other day i found a neighbors dog and brought him into our backyard. Simba as always wanted to play so I let them socialize for a bit. Nothing like this happened.

We train indoors and outdoors in probably 3 or 4 sessions a day. Sometimes at the park, sometimes in the living room, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That all sounds like a socialized, healthy behaving dog to me.
If it was just a one-off event - maybe there was just a "personal" issue with this dog or the situation (like you said coming from the wrong direction).
I wouldn't worry too much, except when there is a pattern emerging and it is repeating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts