German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a new member, and proud owner of a gorgeous 6 month old shepherd called Xena. She is very friendly and training is going well. We have survived landshark teething and exploring! She walks well on a loose leash, can sometimes be reactive to passing mopeds and yappy little dogs.... I'm working on this, and I can see progress. I live in the Philippines, and many people are frightened of big dogs. The large housing compound where I live and walk Xena has just introduced a new rule, that medium and large sized dogs should be muzzled when walked. I don't want to put a muzzle on her :-(
A couple of questions for you fantastic experienced german shepherd people out there:
1) what type of muzzle is best for walking a shepherd in hot weather?
2) will wearing a muzzle affect her behaviour and training? At the moment she is friendly and happy go lucky. I want her to be relaxed and stay that way. I'm worried that wearing the muzzle will create tension, and spoil the loose leash walking.

Thanks for your advise and expertise,
Xena's mummy.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
1) Basket muzzle allows a dog to still pant & drink water so that would probably be your best bet.
2) Introduce slowly, with plenty of treats, work up the length of time she has to wear it and she'll be fine.

Plus the fact that muzzle will now = walk, she'll be excited when you pull it out in no time.

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
That's too bad:(Look for a basket muzzle that fits just right.They aren't restrictive at all,they can still pant and drink water while wearing it.You can get her used to wearing it for short periods at first just like getting used to a collar and leash.Hopefully another member here will be able to recommend some good brand names for you to check out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your responses, I really value your feedback :). I've been really worried that the muzzle might undo all our hard work. The basket muzzle seems the way to go. She's still a pup.... getting the sizing might be tricky?....

·
Super Moderator
4,821 Posts
Somewhere in these threads I read that in one country dogs are allowed on trains and many public spaces but must be muzzled. The trains are noisy, smelly and crowded so the muzzle keeps not only passengers safe but also the dog, who won't have to be put down for a bite. The dogs adjusted. Part of it will be your attitude and finding gear that fits.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
1) Basket muzzle allows a dog to still pant & drink water so that would probably be your best bet.
2) Introduce slowly, with plenty of treats, work up the length of time she has to wear it and she'll be fine.

Plus the fact that muzzle will now = walk, she'll be excited when you pull it out in no time.
Use the food treats by putting them in the end of the muzzle and let your dog put her muzzle in the muzzle and eat them. Do that for a few days and then actually put the muzzle on. If you use the basket muzzle continue to offer treats through the muzzle.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Hi,
I am a new member, and proud owner of a gorgeous 6 month old shepherd called Xena. She is very friendly and training is going well. We have survived landshark teething and exploring! She walks well on a loose leash, can sometimes be reactive to passing mopeds and yappy little dogs.... I'm working on this, and I can see progress. I live in the Philippines, and many people are frightened of big dogs. The large housing compound where I live and walk Xena has just introduced a new rule, that medium and large sized dogs should be muzzled when walked. I don't want to put a muzzle on her :-(
A couple of questions for you fantastic experienced german shepherd people out there:
1) what type of muzzle is best for walking a shepherd in hot weather?
2) will wearing a muzzle affect her behaviour and training? At the moment she is friendly and happy go lucky. I want her to be relaxed and stay that way. I'm worried that wearing the muzzle will create tension, and spoil the loose leash walking.

Thanks for your advise and expertise,
Xena's mummy.
Shadow is muzzled when out for city walks for her protection. They cannot say she bit if she's muzzled. She has learned to accept it and it's just something she puts on for walks.
Basket muzzle is needed for walks so the dog can breath and pant.
We stigmatize muzzles, the dogs don't care. The muzzle reduced tension for us since I was more relaxed knowing she was safe.
Fair warning, Shadow wears a basket made of metal and not only does it get warm in hot weather but she has become fond of making me jump by smashing me in the knee with it. It hurts and I sport constant bruises.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Try not to stress over this. It's really not a big deal and will do no damage to your dog. If you are stressed, your dog will be stressed too. I had a German shepherd who was dog aggressive. She always wore a muzzle on walks and to the vet's office. Her muzzle was lightweight mesh. I'd think for your purposes, since your pup is not aggressive, that type of muzzle should be fine. Worked for my dog for the 12.5 years I owned her. She never bit another dog, or anything else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, thanks for your advice :) Yes I've got to make sure my attitude is positive. I'm thinking of it as something cool for a big girl, like when she graduated to her bigger lead!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I'm readjusting my attitude to the Muzzle! Thinking of it as a cool big girl thing, keeping everyone happy.... including Xena, who will be excited to see it come out (hopefully). Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts