German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I have a 6 month old german shepherd pup named Ellie. I take Ellie to the dog park every other day and has NEVER had any sort of aggression problem with any dog at the dog park. She actually is praised regularly because she behaves so well with other dogs at the dog park. Two weeks ago while on a walk, we were approached by a 3 month old puppy that was not leashed and Ellie began to bark a whole lot at the pup and even began to growl. I have never heard her growl prior to that point. Ever since then she has become extremely vocal when seeing other dogs on the street during walks, regardless if they are leashed or not; She barks like a maniac and comes off as being aggressive. Like I said, she only does this when she's out for walks. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I think your Ellie is growing up and starting her adolscence and is acting up. If I were you, I would work on training her to focus on me on walks - I wouldn't have other dogs approach her when she is being walked - but I would turn suddenly - curve, so she has to follow me - I would reward her for doing so.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've had a very similar experience with my Mieka. Same with us we always hit up the dog parks , petco, running errands. She has always been fine until we were walking down our street and met a neighbors new chow puppy , she got a little aggressive and I could tell was not in her normal excited play mode it was "you better get out of here little puppy" mode. That made me nervous so after a little bit of time trying to gently introduce her to the situation I took her away , but 2 months later she had a great experience with an 8 week old GSP and we adopted her too and after 2 months now they are attached to the hip. I think it is an episode that will pass with time and gentle, positive exposure . Good luck!

ImageUploadedByPG Free1367977225.172901.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts