German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deuce will be 6 months old this month. He pees outside whenever we take him out (every 30 minutes or so) so that's not the issue. He was wonderful when we brought him home in October, going both pee and poop outside. He always poops in the same spot outside and I always take him there and say "go potty" and walk him around until he does and then give him a treat and pet him and say "good potty". Now all of a sudden, he refuses to go poop outside....it MUST be in the livingroom in front of the TV stand. He doesn't poop anywhere else in the house, only the ONE spot. I've steam cleaned the carpet with Natures Miracle and Bissel Pet Odor Eraser yet he still goes over, sniffs and squats. If I catch him squating I clap and take him outside where he refuses to finish...we come back in and right back over he goes and poops on the carpet. Any suggestions as to why all of a sudden he won't go outside? Nothing had changed in the household and nothing has changed outside in his spot.:help:

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Oh no! I know it sucks but keep him crated until he goes outside and only let him out in the house in the hours after he has gone so you can trust him and as soon as it's getting close to the time he's going to have to go again... Back in the crate if he doesn't go outside until he earns your trust again!

Hope your doing well otherwise!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Deuce is about a week older than my boy Ace, I hope this is not a phase that they go through! :eek:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh no! I know it sucks but keep him crated until he goes outside and only let him out in the house in the hours after he has gone so you can trust him and as soon as it's getting close to the time he's going to have to go again... Back in the crate if he doesn't go outside until he earns your trust again!

Hope your doing well otherwise!
All is decent otherwise girly :p Yeah, i've been putting him in his crate if he won't go outside for a bit and then letting him out and taking him back outside again.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
How much are you walking him outside? Has he forgotten where to go? You will have to be emphatic about letting him know because he is WAY too old to be doing that inside.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much are you walking him outside? Has he forgotten where to go? You will have to be emphatic about letting him know because he is WAY too old to be doing that inside.
We go outside and to his spot. He turns and heads the other way everytime. I'll walk him around for 10 min. or so and take him back to the spot and he does the same thing. He NEVER goes pee or poop when we go on a walk away from the house.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
When he refuses to poop outside, bring him back in and crate him up. Try again in 20-30 minutes. Don't allow him to be loose until he goes outside.

good luck, that sucks! :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When he refuses to poop outside, bring him back in and crate him up. Try again in 20-30 minutes. Don't allow him to be loose until he goes outside.

good luck, that sucks! :)
Thank you. That's what I started doing today...we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Makes you wonder what the HECK they are thinking. Good luck.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
We go outside and to his spot. He turns and heads the other way everytime. I'll walk him around for 10 min. or so and take him back to the spot and he does the same thing. He NEVER goes pee or poop when we go on a walk away from the house.
Can you take him on much longer walks? How about in the woods? You have my sympathy, I hope he comes around quickly for you. Bathroom habits are hard to establish and hard to break.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
By now you should be able to predict when he needs to poop. For instance, mine are morning and evening poopers. I do normally have two 10 foot square areas for pooping in my yard, one for Rosa and one for Niko. Every now and then Rosa does not want to poop there. So we move on a little bit over, and usually that will do the trick. Sometimes I think she just gets tired of that poop spot. After a few days, we can go back to the original spot again.

If you know he should have a poop in him, bring him back in the house but watch him like a hawk. Give it 20 minutes and then back outside to try again. And maybe you also need to go back to giving yummy treats for every successful outdoor poop.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Jake sometimes like to move his "spot" also....have you tried moving it? When you take him to his spot and he head the other way....where is he going? Is he trying to tell you he wants to go some where else?

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
Maybe something he considers adversive happened at his "spot" ? Maybe someone else marked there.
Maybe he has just become a TV critic!
However, since you now know his opinion of it, there is no need for him to continually express it. See that he had no access to the TV/TV stand area. In addition to -- treat him like a puppy just learning (which is pretty much what everyone else has said).

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Maybe something he considers adversive happened at his "spot" ? Maybe someone else marked there.
Maybe he has just become a TV critic!
However, since you now know his opinion of it, there is no need for him to continually express it. See that he had no access to the TV/TV stand area. In addition to -- treat him like a puppy just learning (which is pretty much what everyone else has said).
Agreed, don't let him near that area.
Also, do you consider 10 minutes a walk for a German Shepherd? Get real, take him for hour walks. He will get used to going outside.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agreed, don't let him near that area.
Also, do you consider 10 minutes a walk for a German Shepherd? Get real, take him for hour walks. He will get used to going outside.
Actually, no I don't consider 10 minutes to be a walk for a German Shepherd. I have two small children and a husband who works 48 hour shifts so i'm not ALWAYS able to trapse out for hours at a time when it's potty time:rolleyes:

Thanks for your "help".

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
Dottie,
However inconvenient and unreasonable it may seem, PaddyD has a point. Given the added information (2 young kids, crazy workschedule for spouse) , I am guessing that another thing has happened -- He's discovered he gets attention for this lapse! In a dog's mind, bad attention trumps less attention hands down.

Try to order your day so he's out for longer periods of time, does not come in until after he has done the deed, gets praise for doing it "appropriately" and so on.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Well his name is Deuce, j/k but it happens. There is a reason you just haven't figured it out yet. Blocking the area off with a baby gate or puppy pen may be a great idea as well as crating when he doesn't poo outside. I know it's hard with the kids especially because you have to bundle everyone up just to get out the door but a few weeks of this and he should be back on track:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts