German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 6 month old gsd. When I first brought her into the house I made sure to leave her be and let her roam tell she was comfy and was looking to me for attention. I also take her just about everywhere and let her meet people and new places as much as possible... Since then, my girlfriend moved in with me and brought her dog with her. The two of them get along great, but she is now looking to Lady and focusing on her more then she is on me. She also isn't paying much attention to me (that doesn't bother me) while Tessa is around either. I was just giving it time tell she was use to the two of them being here, but since they have been here her confidence has gone way down and is very timid towards people and other dogs that come around. (This was a problem when I first got her, but she got much better as time went on, and the two of us met new people together.)

Also training is decreasing dramatically because lack of focus.
Any words of advice is greatly appreciated!!

That you very much,
Brian, Tessa, Lexi, and Lady

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
How much fun play, exercise and training are YOU and Lexi (that's your dog, right) doing together outside the house and away from Tessa and Lady?

How are dog classes going? More confidence in you when in class?

Have you been able to work on 'engagement' training?

Click this ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/162230-engagement-key-training.html

How about tricks ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/187976-teaching-trick-least-important-part-teaching-tricks.html

And the clicker ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/150660-intro-clicker-training-perfect-puppies.html

:paw:

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i would be training more because of lack of focus.

Hey guys, I have a 6 month old gsd. When I first brought her into the house I made sure to leave her be and let her roam tell she was comfy and was looking to me for attention. I also take her just about everywhere and let her meet people and new places as much as possible... Since then, my girlfriend moved in with me and brought her dog with her. The two of them get along great, but she is now looking to Lady and focusing on her more then she is on me. She also isn't paying much attention to me (that doesn't bother me) while Tessa is around either. I was just giving it time tell she was use to the two of them being here, but since they have been here her confidence has gone way down and is very timid towards people and other dogs that come around. (This was a problem when I first got her, but she got much better as time went on, and the two of us met new people together.)

>>>>> Also training is decreasing dramatically because
lack of focus.<<<<<

Any words of advice is greatly appreciated!!

That you very much,
Brian, Tessa, Lexi, and Lady

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the quick response guys.
DoggieDad - sorry for the wrong word used, we still do our reguarly training. AKA all the time when the opportunity is there! But the lack of progress in the training is a better description!
MaggieRoseLee - Still lots of play, we walk every morning (because she's not a year old yet we still don't run!), and play ball afterwards. Ball time use to be a huge time for me to work training in, but she seems distracted when we play ball, like she is looking for Lady almost. (Which I believe is the case) We haven't been doing very much outside the house without Tessa and Lady. I was trying to make sure that a relationship was being built between the three of them; I just didn't think it would get in the way of the two of use building. Classes are actually not going well. She is less social and hides from the other dogs more then anything, and when it comes to work time she is always distracted it seems like.
I'm sorry I actually haven't ever heard of engagement training. I'll read it tonight!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand what you mean by engagement training. Yes we did do lots of that when I first brought her home but no, we do not do that as much as we use to! I still do work it in with playing ball though!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I understand what you mean by engagement training. Yes we did do lots of that when I first brought her home but no, we do not do that as much as we use to! I still do work it in with playing ball though!
Sounds like she's doing fine with the others at your house and you can work with her out and away to restrengthen your bond and her love for training.

Tons more tiny treats, fast fun. Teaching games and tricks. YOu use the clicker???

And you may have to shift what 'exercise' can be for a puppy. This works for my girls...

:wub:

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
How about taking her away from your house for training? An empty field, baseball fields that aren't in use, etc. Find a quiet, empty spot that you can work with her away from home. Use a long lead. Is your gf's dog bossing her around any? Playing too rough? Any staring at her or fights that maybe you missed? Are you shutting away the other dog when you're working with yours? I agree... re-start the trips with just you and her. Obviously, she's getting bonding time at home with the other two. She needs that bonding time and alone time with you. If it was working... and you had a backslide when you stopped...then I think you know where the problem lies.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
How about taking her away from your house for training? An empty field, baseball fields that aren't in use, etc. Find a quiet, empty spot that you can work with her away from home. Use a long lead. Is your gf's dog bossing her around any? Playing too rough? Any staring at her or fights that maybe you missed? Are you shutting away the other dog when you're working with yours? I agree... re-start the trips with just you and her. Obviously, she's getting bonding time at home with the other two. She needs that bonding time and alone time with you. If it was working... and you had a backslide when you stopped...then I think you know where the problem lies.
Agree and in addition: severely limit the dogs' hanging-out-together time by crating them away from each other, training and exercising them separately. Allow them to play for 15 minutes at the most several times a day. Inside you could tether her to you with her leash so she needs to follow you instead of her new room mate. Your boyfriend could do the same with is dog. Also switch dogs since it looks like you are now (blended) family.
Look out for trouble between the ladies when she matures. Female dogs do not always get along nicely. Thinking of Middle School......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts