German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have a 6 month old German Shepherd. I have noticed that she's a picky eater, but yesterday I brought her to the vet and he said she looked skinny and should eat more. I've heard that GSD's can be picky eaters by nature. Anyhow, I've tried mixing her food with pumpkin mix, didn't work. I'm getting pretty paranoid. I just put her in her crate with her food, hopefully she'll eat it then.

Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm feeding her nutro natural choice for large breed puppies. She eats when she wants to, really. She ate yesterday morning, but we added stuff to it. Didn't eat for the rest of the day and didn't eat today until we added stuff to it. Honestly, I don't think she's dangerously skinny, but she is skinny. She certainly doesn't act sickly. Nonetheless, my vet had me worried.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Maybe she's no longer enjoying that food? IMHO she should be eating more than one meal a day.

Have you tried something else...like plain yogurt mixed in the food?

Has she always beeon on this food?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: aubieMaybe she's no longer enjoying that food? IMHO she should be eating more than one meal a day.

Have you tried something else...like plain yogurt mixed in the food?

Has she always beeon on this food?
We actually just switched to this food recently because we thought she might like it better. She liked it a lot at first...then got bored of it it would seem.

Yogurt huh?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would be careful with Nutro. From what I understand, they do not use human quality meat in their formulas. She may be reacting to some of the ingredients.

My girl is a fussy eater too. But she will always eat when I add Wellness canned food.

I have yet to find an animal that will not eat Wellness. My cats love it too.

HTH

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I'd think she's prob not liking the food much anymore. Let the fun food swapping begin!

I add not quite a tablespoon to the puppers food. My shep mix Dunc never eats breakfast, but by adding a little bit of plain, lowfat yogurt he's begun eating two regular meals a day.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
do you have any pics of her standing up? its hard to say from that pic, but she does not look too skinny to me. imo, too many vets seem ok with a "meaty" looking dog. a gsd should be lean.

i agree, too, that it may just be the food. there are tons of choices out there. trial and error. alot of stores have cheap or free samples bags to try.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally Posted By: roxy84do you have any pics of her standing up? its hard to say from that pic, but she does not look too skinny to me. imo, too many vets seem ok with a "meaty" looking dog. a gsd should be lean.

i agree, too, that it may just be the food. there are tons of choices out there. trial and error. alot of stores have cheap or free samples bags to try.
I was thinking about the same thing. She does look skinny, and you can see some ribs. However, I have talked to people who said their dogs would be skinny until about a year and a half, and then start filling in around then.

The problem with switching foods is that she seems interested at first and then she quickly loses interest in the brand. I'll give a few more a try though.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
For our GSD's, it's better to keep them slim that fat the first year or so (forever???). And it is hard to see in the photo when she's laying down. She looks fine.

You want a bit of a belly tuck from a side view, and you should also (if looking down at her from above when she is standing) see an indent where her ribs end.

Since my Elsa was a VERY picky eater until she was 5 years old and I added Bretta to the house (and not sure adding a new puppy is the BEST recommendation to increase an appetite with competition....) what worked better was adding a bit of 'something' to her high grade kibble. The nutrition was from the kibble, and it was surprising how little 'something' was needed (with water to gravy it up) to get her eating. Like a few tablespoons of almost any of my supper left overs. Yogert? Grated cheese? And you know how cats are finicky and picky? Well they have to make extra yummy and stinky food to get them to eat and it also works for my Elsa. 1/4 can of stinky cat food plus water, added to the kibble was always a sure way to get her eating.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
How old is your pup and what does she weigh? Maybe a little warm chicken broth over her kibble will help. Be careful - she maybe setting you up for a life long "change my food" game.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Quote:How old is your pup and what does she weigh?
Doc, you aren't asking me, right? My 'puppy' is now 10 yrs old and it was easier for me to cave, put a teeny bit of anything in her food and KNOW she would eat, then really watch her not eat for over 3 days the one time. I don't care what that game was, I wasn't playing. For my peace of mind, I add a teeny bit a cat food and get to watch my dog eat a normal meal.

If you are asking about the original poster, they said their puppy was 6 months old in the subject line.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally Posted By: DocHow old is your pup and what does she weigh? Maybe a little warm chicken broth over her kibble will help. Be careful - she maybe setting you up for a life long "change my food" game.
She's 6 months, weighs in at 40 lbs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLee
Quote:How old is your pup and what does she weigh?
Doc, you aren't asking me, right? My 'puppy' is now 10 yrs old and it was easier for me to cave, put a teeny bit of anything in her food and KNOW she would eat, then really watch her not eat for over 3 days the one time. I don't care what that game was, I wasn't playing. For my peace of mind, I add a teeny bit a cat food and get to watch my dog eat a normal meal.

If you are asking about the original poster, they said their puppy was 6 months old in the subject line.
I agree with you. It drives me nuts when she doesn't eat but one meal a day. I think we she would go 3 days if we let her.

I'm going to try adding some Blue Buffalo canned food to her dry food first. If that doesn't work, I'll definitely try the cat food.

What kind of cat food do you use.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
How much(how many cups) does she eat in a day?

·
Registered
325 Posts
As Said, trial and error, when I got my girl the breeder told me he feed her with Pedigree, but she stop eating, maybe was the adjustment, I played with some cheap stuff like Iams and others including Purina pro plan, nothing work, then somebody here send me the link to food reviews and I choose Blue Buffalo wilderness, she really like it but that is for very active dogs since my girl is growing up I change to BB LPB and so far is working,
I start the feeding every day with 1/3rd of the canned food to add some variety and as soon she finish I give her 1.5 cups of kibble, she eat all, she also have develop a beautiful soft and shiny coat, she is not fat, not stinky, her stools are firm and not in huge amount.
I thought my girl look skinny but the vet shows me some graphics on the dog’s body and she seems to be in the ideal shape.
I found the graphic on the internet,
Body Condition system

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, I took some better picks. Let me know what you think. We fed her some beef with rice and veggies last night, then I ran to the store and got some BB canned food to mix with her dry food and she ate it.

So, we'll probably continue to mix the dry and the canned food.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Have you thought about feeding her a higher quality and more calorie dense kibble? That way it would take LESS food for her to get more calories.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts