German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, me and my partner are getting progressively more worried for our 6 month old fur baby GSD Bailey.
She has always been fine and always been one for drinking water from puddles while out and about.
We have recently taken her out for a walk and she has been drinking water from puddles - On the same day I took her to my mums, where we had a lamb shank and I poured what I thought would be lamb shank juices over her dinner(I now know that I'm never going to do anything like this EVER again as they have sensitive stomachs)
That night my partner woke to go the toilet and she smelt a horrendous smell from downstairs, she went to investigate to find a huge puddle and stained water up the sides of the kitchen counters. She said it was absolutely horrific.

That day our GSD was quiet and would only greet people then go lay down, where usually she would be wanting to play constantly.
We fed her Brown rice and Chicken yesterday and her stools *SORRY FOR THE IMAGE THIS WILL GIVE YOU* were like a fountain coming from her behind. It was yellow and very watery. My partner wanted to take her the vets straight away although I thought it was just an upset stomach and would pass from chicken and rice.
Thriught out the day we fed her the same chicken and rice and she has been wolfing it down, it's the only time I've seen a clean bowl. She's drinking water and alot more playful. She will go out on walks and play fetch until she's tired. Although we haven't over done her while she's ill.
It's been over 24 hours now and her stools began to get more solid but still yellow, so we thought she was on the mend.
I have just put her out now 12.55am in the UK and it is back to being a yellow fountain again. She is playful and still eating and drinking.
I've.done the bad thing though and became a Google vet and I'm worried about her.

I'm going to take her the vet tomorrow definitely.
But wondered if anyone would have any advice?
Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
She may be sick from drinking contaminated water in the puddles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, we were thinking this, but how long does it take to get over that? And with it nearly being Christmas we don't want to leave it too late and get stung went double vet fees if we have to take her in.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Did you post wrong pic? I see not a gross picture of diarrhea, but of a cute GSD pup! :)

Anyway...
when I was playing "Google Vet" myself, it said that white rice works better than brown rice. (I forget the explanation).
We usually eat brown rice, but I steamed some white rice for him. Also I used boiled plain chicken with no fat.

For my dog, it took 2 -3 days of small half-size meals of white rice+chicken, for his poop to go back to normal.
I think that sometimes if the diarrhea is bad, they even advise fasting for a day.

I hope she feels better soon!

And I agree that it could be hard/expensive to see the vet over the Christmas holiday...
so if it does not resolve soon, I would head in for a checkup and make sure to bring a stool sample...

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's good she is still eating and drinking. It's most important that you keep her hydrated and drinking. I would recommend plenty of water with a tiny bit of chicken stock in it.

I always have a bottle of kaolin and pectin liquid (dog formulation) handy to give as my pup has had a couple bouts of an upset stomach (she will eat anything!), but I'm not sure it will be any easier for you to get your hands on it at this time either, unless they sell it in any of the local 24/7 Tescos or whatever nearby, but it's probably a long shot! Do you have any emergency vets within driving distance? Always a good idea to have a plan B backup in case things turn worse overnight. Hope your pup is ok and you can get him to the vet asap :)

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
Yeah, we were thinking this, but how long does it take to get over that? And with it nearly being Christmas we don't want to leave it too late and get stung went double vet fees if we have to take her in.
If she picked up bacteria, a parasite, Lepto, giarrdia, then she won't get over it until she's on the proper meds. You are 5 hours ahead of the U.S. east coast, right? so it's early morning on Friday? I would call and get her in today.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If she picked up bacteria, a parasite, Lepto, giarrdia, then she won't get over it until she's on the proper meds. You are 5 hours ahead of the U.S. east coast, right? so it's early morning on Friday? I would call and get her in today.
Yes, it's 8.20am now and we're waiting the vet to open at 8.30.
I went down to an accident which was more 'sloppy' texture rather than watery. Would rather be safe than sorry and take her today anyways!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SORRY I haven't updated sooner. The vet has said she's got an infection, been given a lower diet and two diets suggested as she looks skinny to the vet so I have been told to give her wet food mixed in with the dog

1 - 13 of 13 Posts