German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 month old shepherd gest too excited when she is near other dogs, she jumps up, pulls leash, and whines very loudly. How can i train my dog to act more calm near other dogs ?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Reactions: clipke

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think you should incorporate general "patience" and "stay" training into your pups regiment. And if you haven't already, tech the pup take it and leave it with things like treats. There's lots of videos out there on YouTube on take it and leave it.

The idea is developing self control and patience in the things they most want when they are in controlled environments. It seems to spill over into uncontrolled environments. So I feel you might have success working on other things rather than attempting to train while she's faced with other dogs acting wild and running around.

For example, like 90 % of the time I require my pup to do commands or a stay before I put her food down. If she exhibits any of the behavior you described or lunges at the bowl before I command her, the food bowl would go up onto the counter, the puppy gate closes, locking her in the kitchen alone, and we try again in 5 minutes. She very quickly learned how to be patient and wait for her food. She might cry every now and then but generally, she is patient where she was a madman when I first got her and it came to feeding time.

Same with the crate. I taught her stays with her crate. She waits until I call her out before she comes running out. If she jumped out before, I would put her back in and try again.

Same ideas on walks. She doesn't get to go forward if she's pulling. I control the direction of the walk.

I really would work on those things and you'll see it spill over. When they learn they have to look to you and listen to you before they get a reward, they become way more obedient in situations like you described.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts