German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We had an issue a while back when my wife went to get a chew toy from our dog that was laying under the table. The dog growled some and moved with the bone. I then went to get the bone myself and she did the same to me. I took the bone from her with a slight pop to the nose and put it up. This was bout 2 weeks ago. Fast forward to this morning, My son and I are throwing one of her twos back and forth and she is chasing it (very Playful the whole time) My son drops it and the dog grabs it and my son chases her to get it.

When my son grabbed it she growled a little and went to lay down on the rug I then told my son to get the toy, She growled again So I took it from her with no growling and corrected her for doing that to my son. We have not had issues up to this point even when we feed her as I make it a point to pet her along with my wife and kids when she eats just for a few seconds like we did with out last Shepherd. Thoughts on this?

·
Super Moderator
7,705 Posts
Call her to you and trade her for a treat or another toy.She'll learn something good happens when she releases.Always give never take.Snatching things away from her will make her want to guard it more aggressively.Many times my dogs will bring me a toy,I give a Drop It command,then immediately toss it back to them as a reward.If I really need to to get something away from them it can be done easily.

The other day Samson found a wonderful prize-winning a smelly dead bird.Drop It,Come Here,then back indoors for some hot dog pieces and lots of praise.Then disposle of the "prize" and thorough washing of my hands.Bleh!

Reactions: Aly

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
She has possession. It's not abnormal in this breed and many of us find it desirable for working dogs. My girl has a ton of it and I knew that from the beginning so it was never really an issue. I've traded a lot and work on teaching her "Out". Work with that instead of fighting it. Teach her that you taking things isn't a bad thing. You trade for food. Trade the ball for another ball. Teach her to drop it on command instead of chasing her to get it.

Correcting resource guarding usually just makes it worse. You need to counter condition it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response and advice guys. She is a great dog and has been a pleasure to train and great with everyone thus far but I tend to be more on guard now that we have children with this pup. With our first she was 4.5 years old when the first kid came along. I will work and this and report back. Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts