German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my 6 month old GSD girl has become a little agressive with visitors, we just move about 3 weeks ago, and the compley we used to live she was very well behave and nice to other dogs and people, now even the same friends that know her since we got her 3 months ago can't come into the house without her barking at them very agressive for a while, she doesn't bite or anything but now i am afraid to make a house warming party because of her, she lives here and i dont want to put her in another room she will go crazy. but i need her not to be mouthy or agressive towards people that comes anf visit.
Also now when she sees another dog she goes nuts. and starts to pull the leash or anytime one of the family member stars walking away from wehre we are she starts pulling and barking really loud.
any advice please.

·
Registered
123 Posts
How long have you had her? Sounds like she may be upset you moved and she was used or accustomed to her surroundings. I'm sure over time she will get used to her new home. Kinda like kids when they move and made at the parents. Just my thoughts is all.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
You probably introduced the puppy to her new surroundings improperly. You don't just take a dog and move with them to a new place take em through the front door and say "Hey! This is home now!" Moving is a stressful process for you and the puppy, and you can be **** sure the puppy picked up on your stress during this period as well.

There is a ritual involved in the process. You take the dog for a long walk get them good and tired and then you take them into their new home when they are calm and submissive. You then repeat a lot of groundwork with them. Keep them on a leash in the house tethered to you and you control what they do and when they do it. It sets the precedent that it is your house and shes there at your pleasure and not the other way around. You taking a leadership role in this way will set your puppys mind at ease and you will probably find that this by itself will stop a lot of that behavior you are seeing. A puppy doesn't really care where they are as long as they are there with their pack and they have a strong leader. You can be jumping outta a plane with your dog, and if they trust your leadership they are perfectly fine with that just as long as you are there.

Also anytime a puppy does something you don't agree with, make sure the puppy knows it. Correct the dog. Crazy concept I know, but correcting a puppy for behaviors you don't like 9 times outta 10 stops the behavior. People really should do it more often.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have to agree with Bailiff - try reintroducing the pup with correct behavior. Puppies don't always realized that certain behavior is required at all locations. It has to be retaught. If you have only been there 3 weeks you are probably still adjusting yourself so think of a 1 year old kid trying adjust without understanding what is going on and their parent isn't telling them. You have to set the limits all over again and keep her leashed to you. I don't think it will take long for her to get it and settle down. Also, you are smack in the middle of adolescence. Training every day is important now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My pup did this as well, so I have to crate him and let him get comfortable. He calms down quicker and visitors know to ignore him and stay away from his crate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate all of your opinions, you guys are right it was very stressful because it took us a long time to finish and the whole family was stressed out, it rained the whole time so we had to take a few trips and stop, we were with half out stuff in one place and half the other, she is getting a lot better now this last couple of days, she is fine outside with people and dogs she just doesn't like people coming into the house. But we are working with her every day. Today went to the dog park and played with other dog without barking and going crazy and unleashed. So I feel there is progress in that regard

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long have you had her? Sounds like she may be upset you moved and she was used or accustomed to her surroundings. I'm sure over time she will get used to her new home. Kinda like kids when they move and made at the parents. Just my thoughts is all.

I got her when she was 12 weeks. She was kept outside on a pen so the first 2 weeks were very challenging with potty training, we were at the other place with her for 2 months, now she seems a lot more comfortable here at the house, she really has a hard time with the crate, she gets very anxious in it. I guess because she was outside

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some German Shepherds can be very protective by nature and this trait can increase as they mature. Shepherds are one of the breeds known for their natural protectiveness and that should be considered before getting a puppy.Taking obedience classes might prove to be very helpful but it does take a lot of time and consistency in training with all family members involved. I have Shepherds because I like their protective nature and the easy trainability of this highly intelligent dog. Absolutely no conflict here, but I chose what I knew this breed to be, not what I wanted it to be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some German Shepherds can be very protective by nature and this trait can increase as they mature. Shepherds are one of the breeds known for their natural protectiveness and that should be considered before getting a puppy.Taking obedience classes might prove to be very helpful but it does take a lot of time and consistency in training with all family members involved. I have Shepherds because I like their protective nature and the easy trainability of this highly intelligent dog. Absolutely no conflict here, but I chose what I knew this breed to be, not what I wanted it to be.
I get that, they are very protective and I love that about her. I was considering protection training I want to be comfortable with my kids being with her knowing that nobody is going to mess with them.
I just need advice on training methods not to take away her instincts but to make her feel at ease when someone who is allowed in the house.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts