German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone! So its clearly that time of year again! The mosquitoes are out full force at night and the ticks are crazy this year!

Jazmyn is 6 months old, just over 50 pounds. Currently she is on Advantage Multi, but I'm a little concerned because it does not do mosquitoes, biting flies and ticks. She seems itchy lately, and I'm sure its because of all of the mosquitoes in our backyard. We will be hiking and going to friends cottages this summer so I'd like to make sure she's protected.

This is what our vet has suggested:

All Year
Advantage Multi - Heartworm, fleas & parasites (hookworm, whipworm & roundworm)

6-8 Months of the Year:
K9 Advantix II - Fleas, Mosquitoes, Ticks, Biting Flies, etc

Basically they suggest administering the Advantage Multi monthly. Then during the 6-8 months of the summer/fall, we would also administer K9 Advantix II, but put it on 2 weeks after the Advantage Multi. She'd basically be on a bi-weekly schedule for the summer/fall months.

Does this seem right for a 6 month old pup? I can't really think of any other solution to help boost her protection against everything.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I used to use Sentinel, but there was a delivery problem this year. I'm now using Revolution for the first time and it also does ticks.

My vet recommends treating for 7 months. From May to November.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Hey Everyone! So its clearly that time of year again! The mosquitoes are out full force at night and the ticks are crazy this year!

Jazmyn is 6 months old, just over 50 pounds. Currently she is on Advantage Multi, but I'm a little concerned because it does not do mosquitoes, biting flies and ticks. She seems itchy lately, and I'm sure its because of all of the mosquitoes in our backyard. We will be hiking and going to friends cottages this summer so I'd like to make sure she's protected.

This is what our vet has suggested:

All Year
Advantage Multi - Heartworm, fleas & parasites (hookworm, whipworm & roundworm)

6-8 Months of the Year:
K9 Advantix II - Fleas, Mosquitoes, Ticks, Biting Flies, etc

Basically they suggest administering the Advantage Multi monthly. Then during the 6-8 months of the summer/fall, we would also administer K9 Advantix II, but put it on 2 weeks after the Advantage Multi. She'd basically be on a bi-weekly schedule for the summer/fall months.

Does this seem right for a 6 month old pup? I can't really think of any other solution to help boost her protection against everything.

For me, it never made sense to treat them for hook worm, whip worm and round worm, when they don’t have it! That is just adding more toxins to their system! My Holistic vet suggests the "Heartguard" without the PLUS, which contains the wormers.

We live on 7 acres with a pond in IL so we have a lot of the same issues. If you’d like to go a more natural route, these are the 3 things that I do. It’s a little bit of work, but I feel worth it.
Hope this helps! :)
#1: ESSENTIAL OIL HOMEMADE BUG REPELLENTS:
Alternate the oils in your “Spritz” for effectiveness. For example, use Peppermint one week and then Catnip the next.
A list of companies to purchase Essential Oils from on the internet follows.
SPRITZ: Mix 20 drops of your choice of Essential Oils with 2 cups of spring or distilled water in a spray bottle, using a funnel. Keep out of sun and away from heat. You can choose one or more essential oils to make up your own individualized potion! It is even a great idea to make up two spray bottles with different Essential Oils in each one and use alternately to keep the bugs away! Spritz on daily. Don’t forget that you can use these on yourself too instead of the “deet”! Take it along to shows or camping and spray the area that you set up on to keep fleas from party hopping into your party!!!

Essential Oils (not massage oils): Quality Essential Oils should cost $13 or more for 15 ml bottle.
Rose Geranium, Lemon Grass, Lemon Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Cedar, Tea Tree, Sweet Orange, Eucalyptus, Eucalyptus Blue Gum or Eucalyptus globules, Citronella, Catnip, Yarrow, Pine Needle, Niaouli, Peppermint
I also, put full strength drops on to their collars.

Buy Natural Essential Oils | Young Living Essential Oils
Essential Oils, Pure Therapeutic Grade - Our Complete List
*BUG, FLEA AND TICK OIL REPELLENT:
This is used instead of the Advantix or similar products. Apply in areas down center of their back, just as you would the commercial brand. Dot the mixture lightly on to the tips of dog’s ears but not close to eyes. Make sure you test a small spot on your dogs’ skin (for sensitivities) before committing to the whole application. Repeat when aroma disappears or if they swim or get bathed. You can follow this up with a daily Spritz of the Essential Oil/Water mix.
Recipe: 10-25 drops of Rose Geranium Essential Oil (or whichever one or two you choose) mixed with 2 Tablespoons of Sweet Almond Oil. The Almond Oil is used as the “carrier” oil to dilute the essential oil before application. For quality, buy cold pressed or cold expeller pressed Sweet Almond Oil. Using a funnel, place oils in a dropper bottle. You can obtain these bottles from the company that you purchase the Essential Oils from.
#2: Flea & Tick Tag: All Natural Pet Products | Homeopathic Remedies for Dogs & Cats | Only Natural Pet Store I just order these tags for my dogs and I’m going to use them alongside the Essential Oils and Garlic!
GARLIC – TO BE ADDED TO FOOD:
I know that some people are afraid the use of garlic will harm their pets as it is in the same family as onions, which are, of course, a definite NO-NO. The following are some quotes by experts to calm you fears so that your dog can reap the benefit of fresh garlic.

(www.natural-dog-health-remedies) The key to safe use of garlic on dogs is the dosage level and frequency of use. For a dog to develop Heinz-body anemia, he would have to eat over 0.5% of his body weight in onions to even begin the oxidative process. However, garlic should NOT be fed to pets with a pre-existing anemic condition or to those scheduled for surgery. Also, young puppies before six to eight weeks of age should NOT be given garlic because they do not begin reproducing new blood cells until after 6-8 weeks. Not all forms of garlic are the same – garlic that has been cooked under high heat (boiled, roasted, sauteed, etc.) is likely to lose its medicinal properties and a high percentage of its nutrients. Allicin, the compound in garlic that gives it the strong odor, is very unstable and dissipates quickly when exposed to air, moisture, or heat.
Fresh Garlic Tip: If you’ve not used fresh garlic before, you’ll need a garlic press. Separate the bulb into cloves. To skin the clove, cut off the tip of each end of the clove. Then lay your knife, flat, on the top of the clove and hit it with the palm of your hand. This will make the skin peel off easily. Place the clove into the garlic press and squeeze until it come out of the small holes. Take you knife and scrape it off of the holes. Turn you garlic press backwards so that the little times push out the crushed pieces and add this to the food too.
If you just don’t have the patience to do the fresh garlic, the next best idea is to get “Chopped or Minced Garlic” in a small jar in the refrigerator section of the grocery store. A half teaspoon = 1 clove of garlic!
I’ve given information by two DVM’s so that you can make a decision of the amount used.
Per Dr. Karen Becker: “Do not feed onions to dogs or cats as it causes hemolytic anemia. Although garlic is in the same family, pets can ingest small amounts of garlic and reap huge benefits. Garlic is naturally anti-parasitic, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. Garlic, in small amounts, is a wonderful addition to your pet’s diet.” “Onion toxicity is caused by the metabolite alkaloid n-propyl disulphide which inhibits normal enzyme activity in red blood cells and causes them to denature, producing Heinz body anemia. Garlic is metabolized to allyl propyl disulfide, which does not inhibit red blood cell enzyme activity unless consumed in massive quantities.” http://www.drkarenbecker.com/nutrition/raw_food_diets.htm
*Small dogs ¼ to ½ clove/day
*Medium dogs a ½ to 1 clove daily
*45-70# = 1 clove or ½ clove 2 x daily
*75-90# = 1 clove 2 x daily
*over 100# = 1 ½ cloves 2 x daily
Per Dr. Pitcairn: “I have not seen problems with garlic in the amounts recommended in the recipes I have used.”
*1/8 tsp to each cup of food OR
*10 to 15 pounds – half a clove
*20 to 40 pounds – 1 clove
*45 to 70 pounds – 2 cloves
*75 to 90 pounds – 2 and a half cloves
*100 pounds and over – 3 cloves

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
For the past couple years I've been using Comfortis for fleas (one problem with Slider so he doesn't take it). For HW I used Interceptor for many years without problems, then when it became almost impossible to get I switched to Panoramis (the Australian version of Trifexis) which is a combination of generic Interceptor and Comfortis and so far am happy with it.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I think your gut is telling you that is way too many pesticides to apply to your dog at once and I agree with you.

For ticks I use Bug Off Garlic by Springtime Inc. It works great.

Those are great suggestions for sprays. I also like using a shampoo with NEEM. I've had great luck with the NEEM and citronella repelling mosquitoes. I don't use pesticides and I also don't use the heartworm stuff with dewormers (so I just use plain Heartgard).

Also, I spend 3-6 weeks of my summer in Northern Ontario so I am familiar with the bug problem. :eek:

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Momto2GSDs - I'm glad you joined the board. You bring alot of great ideas for those of us who want to use a more holistic approach:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll second the bug off garlic! We're having good success with a combination of bug off and barklogic flea and tick natural lemongrass spray. Frontline was doing nothing for ticks this year, so we gave up and started experimenting with natural repellents rather than go with a harsher chemical. We literally went from 50 ticks in one week to 2 over the last 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
I think your gut is telling you that is way too many pesticides to apply to your dog at once and I agree with you.

For ticks I use Bug Off Garlic by Springtime Inc. It works great.

Those are great suggestions for sprays. I also like using a shampoo with NEEM. I've had great luck with the NEEM and citronella repelling mosquitoes. I don't use pesticides and I also don't use the heartworm stuff with dewormers (so I just use plain Heartgard).

Also, I spend 3-6 weeks of my summer in Northern Ontario so I am familiar with the bug problem. :eek:
I just read about the Bug Off Garlic.....sounds like a GREAT product! Thanks!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Jazmyn is 6 months old, just over 50 pounds. Currently she is on Advantage Multi, but I'm a little concerned because it does not do mosquitoes, biting flies and ticks.
Doesn't advantage multi prevent heart worms that are transferred by mosquitoes?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts