German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 month old gsd will do good for a while then start urinating in the house at night time. This morning I let her out at like 3 then just noticed she peed in her usual spot right in front of one of my wood stoves. She is destroying the hard wood floor in that spot. I guess I will have to start taking her water away at night time like an hour before she goes out for the last time?

·
Registered
751 Posts
My 6 month old gsd will do good for a while then start urinating in the house at night time. This morning I let her out at like 3 then just noticed she peed in her usual spot right in front of one of my wood stoves. She is destroying the hard wood floor in that spot. I guess I will have to start taking her water away at night time like an hour before she goes out for the last time?
When does she go out for the last time? Usually I give Kias his last sip around 7:30 and he goes to the bathroom at 9 or 10 for the last time. He makes it till whenever I feel like getting up. But he is also in a crate all night. Is she crate trained?
Another possibility is that it could have become a habit if it wasn't cleaned well the first time. If you don't clean and remove all odors of the urine, then the dog smells it again and urinates in the same spot. It quickly becomes habitual.
Just a couple of ideas for why she might have done that.

·
Registered
32,556 Posts
She's not fully housebroken. Crate her. At 6 months old, she should be sleeping thru the night. You say "her usual spot" so that means this is now an ingrained habit. The easiest way to fix this is going to be with a crate. Yes, I would pick her water up 2-3 hours before bedtime.

The urine is soaked into that wood. You will not get the smell out now. You can soak it with an enzyme cleaner (commercial or vinegar) but I would be surprised if you fully get it out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When does she go out for the last time? Usually I give Kias his last sip around 7:30 and he goes to the bathroom at 9 or 10 for the last time. He makes it till whenever I feel like getting up. But he is also in a crate all night. Is she crate trained?
Another possibility is that it could have become a habit if it wasn't cleaned well the first time. If you don't clean and remove all odors of the urine, then the dog smells it again and urinates in the same spot. It quickly becomes habitual.
Just a couple of ideas for why she might have done that.
I usually take her for a 20-45 min walk between 830-930 then she might go out again around 10 before I go to bed. I usually try to let her out in the middle of the night also. We have 3 kids and I wake up alot anyway. Then she goes out at 530am when I wake up for the day. She usually either sleeps in the bed near my feet or on the floor next to the bed. She does have a crate but I just feel bad locking her in there but I guess I will have to start

·
Registered
751 Posts
I usually take her for a 20-45 min walk between 830-930 then she might go out again around 10 before I go to bed. I usually try to let her out in the middle of the night also. We have 3 kids and I wake up alot anyway. Then she goes out at 530am when I wake up for the day. She usually either sleeps in the bed near my feet or on the floor next to the bed. She does have a crate but I just feel bad locking her in there but I guess I will have to start
She should be able to make it for sure!

You have to crate train her. Dogs hate peeing in their crate. It isn't inhumane or anything to put her in there. My dog, along with just about every other GSD, has learned to think of his crate as a safe place and to enjoy or at least be comfortable with staying in half the day. GSDs do super well with crate training. Just try it. Make sure it the crate is nice and comfortable and large. We have one that is about 3 feet long and one that is about 5. He loves them both. Small ones may make them cramped. If you don't know how to crate train them, just watch some videos and read some books and it's pretty easy.
It'll help a ton. Trust me.

Also, if you are taking her out in the middle of the night that might become a problem for the nights you don't want to, as she will expect to be taken out. Try slowly adapting her to holding it longer after she is crate trained. Kias is just five months and can go from 9 to 9, no accidents.

Oh, also try to catch her in the act. Make sure she knows it is absolutely not tolerated. You don't have to do that, but it definitely helps. If she doesn't understand it is wrong she won't know not to.
I hope this clears up for you.

Reactions: tim_s_adams

·
Registered
863 Posts
It takes water about 2 hours to go through a puppy's system. So I would take it away about 2 hours before her last pee. Where does she sleep? If she sleeps in your bedroom, close the door or use baby gates. I use baby gates so that my bedroom wouldn't get stuffy and there's airflow into the bedroom. OR, I would start using the crate at night. Then at least she can't be wandering around peeing. And I agree with everyone else, you need to get one of those pet cleaners. You need to get that smell out so she won't keep going to that spot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts